John LAMBERT (1820, Yorkshire, England - 1893, Utah, USA)

Entries: 2445    Updated: 2015-11-17 20:21:02 UTC (Tue)    Owner: Venita Roylance    Home Page: Family History and Other Fascinations  Note: You will leave RootsWeb

Index | Descendancy | Register | Pedigree | Ahnentafel

  • ID: I302
  • Name: Robert Patefield REDFORD
  • Sex: M 1
  • Birth: 20 JAN 1814 in Pilkington, Lancashire, England
  • Note: PRF
  • Christening: 10 APR 1814 Prestwich, Lancashire, England
  • Note: St. Mary?s
  • Death: 23 JUL 1865 in Wellsville, Cache, Utah, United States
  • Burial: JUL 1865 Wellsville, Cache, Utah, United States
  • Note:

    LDS Church Membership Record:
    Name: Robert Patefield Redford
    Gender: Male
    Birth: 1814-01-20, Pilkington, Whitefield, Lancashire, England
    Death: 1865-07-23
    Father: John Jones Redford
    Mother: Ann Rogerson Patefield
    Spouse: Lettice Brown Eckersall
    Spouse: Patience Vay
    LDS Bap: 3 Aug 1840

    From: ?History and Genealogy of the Robert Patefield Redford Family,? by Della M. Britenbeker & Martha M. Harris, Editors and compilers, Published by Herald Printing Company, Logan, Utah, 1978.


    [Only a few paragraphs are included here]

    After the arrival of Brigham Young and the Saints into Salt Lake Valley, settlements were made in all directions except to the North (Cache Valley). In Southern Utah, settlements were organized as early as 1850. The trappers, who had been in the northern valley, reported the winters were too long and cold. Even in the summer time there was frost which made the area unfavorable for agriculture. They reported plenty of hunting and fishing. Surveys showed the grass grown in the valley was excellent for summer grazing of livestock or it could be harvested as hay for winter feed.

    Men were sent to Cache Valley to cut hay, prepare corrals, etc., for the stock which was to be driven to the area that fall. The fall season proved the area was not for agricultural purposed due to the cold. Herders were trapped bby the severe winter, suffering extreme hardships and privations. The livestock her of two thousand was wiped out except for about two hundred head. These were saved by making their way through the snow drifts into Box Elder Valley or subsisting on forage from willows and rushes around the temporary camp.

    [When] Brigham Young and his counselors decided Cache Valley should be settled, he called Peter Maughan, who was living Tooele, Utah, asking him to lead a small group of men to the valley to see if it weere suitable for a permanent settlement. The group consisted of Peter Maughan and his son William H., George Bryan, John Tate, Morgan Morgan, and Zial Riggs. [They] left [Salt Lake City] 21 July 1856. They came through Box Elder Valley, down Caterpillar Canyon, through Sardine Canyon and entered [Cache] valley that same month. They were impressed with the area and decided on a site in the south end of the valley on the stream where Wellsville is presently located. They returned to their homes and, after reporting to Brigham Young, started preparing to return to the valley. Seven family and one single man comprised the group [that would return]: Peter Maughan and his two sons, John and William H., G. W. Bryan, Zial Riggs, Francis Gunnell, O. D. Thompson, William Hamblin and a hired had who was working for one of the men.

    Traveling was good until they left Box Elder Valley, then the road was steep and rough. Many rocks and tree stumps were in the road which slowed up their journey. Arriving in the valley 15 September 1856, they began cutting wild hay and getting logs from the canyons for their cabins and corrals. They were still living in their wagons when the first ssnow came, September 26th, and greater effort was made to get the cabins built. They were single one-room buildings with a dirt floor and layers of grass and dirt on the roof. A door in one end was coverd with an old quilt or [animal] hide to keep out the cold. It was in one of these cabins that our great grandfather, Robert Patefield Redford, lived when he first came to Cache Valley. The log houses were buit and arranged in fort- style: two rows north and south with the ends left open. The settlement was called ?Maughan?s Fort? and it was a first colony to settle in the valley.


    Robert Patefield Redford, son of John Redford and Ann Patefield [was] born 20 Jan 1814 at Pilkington, Whitefield, Lancashire, England, and was Christened there on 10 Apr 1814 at St. Mary?s Church ... [He] was said to be a weaver by trade, but in the 1841 [British] Census for Pilkington he is listed as a Salt Dealer. He [also] owned a green grocery. With a donkey and cart he went about Pilkington, Manchester, and other villages in the vicinity selling garden produce. He also bought and sold needles, pins, small wares, and white sand (used on flagstone floors). He made his own shoe blacking. For his pay he received glassware, bones, clean rags ( which were sold to paper makers), and other trade items.

    ?Mormonism? was new and unpopular in England. Robert and his friends planned to break up a missionary meeting. Because of his bold and fearless courage, Robert was chosen as the most qualified [young man] to rid the village of the hated Mormons. On his way to the meeting, Robert pondered in his mind how to carry out the instructions of his comrades. While waiting for the right moment to act, he listened to the message the Mormon missionaries were preaching.

    In spite of himself, he became interested in their message and was very much impressed by the statement, ?Joseph Smith was a Prophet of God.? The longer he listend the more he felt that these men were telling the truth. When the opportunity came, instead of attacking the missionaries, he warned them that dissenters were going to break up the meeting. They sent the people home, then Robert took them to his own home by a different route where he fed and protected them throughout that night and the following week.

    The other dissenters waited impatiently for Robert?s return, knowing he would do the job well if anyone could. Sometime later they decided things had not gone as planned, since Robert failed to return. They proceeded to the place where the meeting was scheduled to be held. No one was there, neither Robert, nor the missionaries, nor the people. They decided either they had been misinformed about the meeting, or the missionaries had failed to appear, so they left.

    Robert accepted the message of the missionaries and was baptized and confirmed a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints on 10 Aug 1840 by Walker Johnson.

    Robert had become interested in a ?Mormon? girl. Lettice Eckersall was a young widow whom he met daily as she went to and from work. He wanted to be friendly with her, but she gave him no encouragement. Her attitude changed when she learned he had been converted and baptized. They were married 12 April 1841 in the Collegiate Churdh of Manchester. Thirty of their friends came to celebrate the marriage, bringing a picnic and a few gifts.

    Robert, Lettice and their children lived the gospel intently. They belonged to the Radcliffe Branch and walked three miles to attend their meetings. The older boys, Joseph Smith and John, ages eight and six [at the time], carried the missionary tracts [to families] around the neighborhood then gathered them up the following week to distribute to other families. In their teens, the boys were called on to lead the singing in church meetings.

    Joining the church had made Robert very unpopular in Pilkington, and his business had fallen off so much that he had a difficult time making enough money for the necessities of life for his wife and five children. Elder David B. Dille [a missionary] advised him to go to America where there were more opportunities for work. This was the uppermost desire of himself and his wife since they had joined the church. Robert decided to emigrate immediately; then, as soon as he had earned sufficient money, send for his family. Lettice agreed to the plan and gave her consent.

    He left England and his family on 27 Nov 1854 in the company of W. H. Dille, sailing [from Liverpool] on the ?Clara Wheeler.? In the Irish Channel they encountered a heavy gale which disabled the ship, making it necessary to stop at Queenstown, [Ireland], for repairs. They left Ireland on December 7th, and arrived at New Orleans 11 Jan 1855. [For further voyage information, see Immigration notes.]

    Robert crossed the plains in Captain John Hindley?s Independent Company, driving a team of oxen for Thomas Williams, a storekeeper from Salt Lake City, where they arrived on 3 Sep 1855. He spent time in Tooele, Grantsville, and Ogden before returning to Salt Lake City. On 29 Nov 1856, he took Patience Vay Lambert as his second wife, thus participating in polygamy. Patience was a widow from Lancashire, England, who had emigrated from there in 1840 and had been in Utah since 1850. She was 28 years older than Robert and is said to have had ?two yoke of oxen and a wagon which would help greatly in cultivating the new soil.? Robert hoped he could quickly earn the money he needed to send for his family in England.

    In 1857, Johnston?s Army was sent by the U.S. government to invade Utah and take over the territory by force if necessary. Brigham Young sent all the families out of Salt Lake City, but kept an ?army? of men there to set the houses and fields on fire if necessary to thwart a take over. Robert was one of ten men stationed among the high rocks at the head of Echo Canyon with orders from President Young to retard the march of the Army. Some of the men would take turns asking for tobacco and other things to stall the army. Other men would hurry behind rocks further down the road, yelling back and forth with their comrades. The army, thinking there were many men among the rocks became frightened ... saying, ?Those rocks are full of Mormons.? When Johnson and his men reached the valley entrance, they were greeted by President Young and his men. An agreement was made, and the army marched through the valley and camped on the southwest side near the Jordon River. The city was saved, and the families soon moved back to their homes.

    Robert made his first trip to cache Valley in 1858, making his home in Maughan?s Fort. Because of Indian hostilities, Brigham Young asked Peter Maughan to evacuate the fort and move the settlement to a temporary location at Willard in Box Elder County. In April 1959 the danger had passed and Robert moved back to the fort with the rest of the settlers. He inquired of Bishop William H. Maughan about obtaining some land. When Bishop Maughan asked him how much he wanted, Robert replied, ?As much as he or thee want.? He was given ten acres of farm land and ten acres of hay land.

    Eventually the people moved from the fort to city lots in Wellsville. Robert?s first home was located in the southwest section. He built a log room with a braided willow door and a dirt roof. A white cloth was hung over the door to admit light and give some protection from the cold. The first meeting of the thirthy-sixth Quorum of Seventies, to which he belonged, was held at his home near Basin Hill. He was living in the one room log house when his two oldest sons, Joseph Smith and John, arrived from England [in 1864].

    On 18 April 1865, his second wife, Patience, died at the age of 78 and was buried in the Wellsville Cemetery. Robert became ill that same spring with ?dropsy,? and died 23 July 1865 at the age of 51. He was buried next to Patience. He died not having seen his wife and three youngest children since he left England. They finally emigrated to America in 1868 [14 years after Robert] and lived on the land that Robert had homesteaded for them. Robert?s youngest son, Ephraim, was born 6 July 1855, seven months after he left England; and died 8 Nov 1865, three years before Lettice emigrated and about three months after Robert had died.

    Father: John James REDFORD
    Mother: Ann Rogerson PATEFIELD

    Marriage 1 Patience VAY b: 25 OCT 1787 in Crathorne, Yorkshire, England c: 28 OCT 1787 in All Saints, Crathorne, Yorkshire, England
    • Married: 29 NOV 1856 in Salt Lake City, Salt Lake, Utah, United States

    Marriage 2 Lettice Brown ECKERSALL b: 22 FEB 1814 in Pilkington, Lancashire, England c: 10 APR 1814 in Prestwich, Lancashire, England
    • Married: 12 APR 1841 in Broughton, Prestwich, Lancashire, England
    • Note: Collegiate church
    1. Has No Children Betty CROSSLEY b: 18 NOV 1838 in Pilkington, Lancashire, England
    2. Has No Children Joseph Smith REDFORD b: 21 FEB 1842 in Pilkington, Lancashire, England
    3. Has No Children John Eckersall REDFORD b: 16 MAR 1844 in Half Acre, Pilkington, Lancashire, England
    4. Has No Children Ann REDFORD b: 27 MAY 1846 in Pilkington, Lancashire, England
    5. Has No Children Abraham REDFORD b: 1 SEP 1849 in Pilkington, Lancashire, England
    6. Has No Children Robert REDFORD b: 18 AUG 1852 in Pilkington, Lancashire, England
    7. Has No Children Ephraim REDFORD b: 6 JUL 1855 in Pilkington, Lancashire, England

    1. Type: Web Site
      Text: From the files of Venita Roylance
      Date: 6 MAY 2012
  • We want to hear from you! Take our WorldConnect survey

    Index | Descendancy | Register | Pedigree | Ahnentafel

    Printer Friendly Version Printer Friendly Version Search Ancestry Search Ancestry Search WorldConnect Search WorldConnect Join Today! Join Today!

    WorldConnect Home | WorldConnect Global Search | WorldConnect Help
    We want to hear from you! Take our WorldConnect survey is NOT responsible for the content of the GEDCOMs uploaded through the WorldConnect Program. The creator of each GEDCOM is solely responsible for its content.