Name: Samuel Wade
Birth: ABT 1827 in , Albemarle, Virginia
Death: 5 AUG 1863 in Chaffin's Farm, Henrico, Virginia
Change Date: 29 SEP 2016
BIRTH DATE, BIRTH PLACE: Federal Census; Nelson County, Virginia; 1860; page 841.
MARRIAGE DATE: Marriage Bond; Albemarle County, Virginia.
MARRIAGE PLACE (town), DEATH: Application of Spicy Wade, wife of Samuel Wade, for Civil War pension (says he died of "fever contracted in camp") while serving as a soldier. (This document gives March 1848 as the marriage date. However, the marriage bond is dated 17 March 1849.) This document is available at http://eagle.vsla.edu/conpen/virtua-advanced.html.
Samuel Wade's Civil War service was in Company G of the 46th Virginia Volunteer Infantry. Company G was known as the "Albemarle Jackson Avengers." It was organized at North Garden, Albemarle County, Virginia, on July 1, 1861, and its first commander was James W. Williams.
The 1860 and 1870 censuses are in significant conflict regarding the ages of the children in this family. Based on other records, the record for each of these census years is correct and incorrect as to different children.
Samuel's father may be one David W. Wade, whose will was executed and probated in Albemarle County in 1868 (Albemarle Co. Will Book 28, page 134). The following facts tend to support this connection (but are not alone sufficient to establish it):
(1) David was married in Albemarle County, Virginia, in May 1827, and Samuel was born about 1827 (Albemarle County Marriages 1780-1853; by Vogt and Kethley; page 327; and Federal Census; 1860; Nelson County, Virginia; page 841).
(2) Other than David Wade's marriage in 1827, only one other marriage in the above-cited books was early enough to be that of Samuel's parents; that couple, James Wade and Louisa Spradling (md. 1827 in Albemarle), moved to Tennessee around 1829, when Samuel was only 2 years old. (The family of James Waide is in the 1830 census for McMinn Co., Tenn., p. 136; Louisa Wade married H.B. Brandon in McMinn Co. on 9-1-1845 [Marriage Records of McMinn County, Tennessee, by Reba Bayless Boyer]; and the family of Hiram Brandon [b. Tenn.] and Louisa Brandon
[b. Va.] in 1850 included a child, age 22 and born in Va., another child, age 18 and born in Tenn., and several other children, all born in Tenn. [Meigs Co., Tenn., p. 390]).
(3) David Wade's household was listed immediately after Samuel's household in the 1850 census (Albemarle Co., Va., page 270).
(4) Samuel Wade was one of the witnesses on David Wade's consent for the marriage of David's daughter, Elizabeth Ann Wade, dated July 9, 1853. (Consent note in Albemarle County, Virginia, clerk's office; image posted on Ancestry.com.)
(5) The bondsman on Samuel's marriage bond was Chasteen Toms, who was also the bondsman for the marriage of one of David's daughters, Perrenia Wade (Albemarle County Marriages 1780-1853; by Vogt and Kethley; pages 327, 665; David's will indicates that Perrenia was his daughter).
(6) That Samuel was not named as a child in David's will does not indicate that Samuel was not David's son, because Samuel died five years before the will was executed.
Samuel Wade does not appear on the Albemarle County personal-property tax lists for 1842-1848 (Library of Virginia reel #11), even though he should have turned 16 about 1843. Beginning in 1847, the entries for David Wade include the notation "& son." This would be exactly the right timing for David's son, James Wade, who was born about 1831 (see note under James Wade).
No obituary for Samuel Wade is listed in "Abstracts of Obituaries in Charlottesville Newspapers, 1860-1869," Magazine of Albemarle County History, vol. 23 (1964-1965).
Spicie Toms b: JUL 1831 in , Albemarle, Virginia
17 MAR 1849
in Covesville, Albemarle, Virginia
- Mildred M. Wade b: ABT 1849 in , Albemarle, Virginia
- Joseph D. Wade b: APR 1852 in , Albemarle, Virginia
- Malinda Louisa Wade b: ABT 1854 in , Albemarle, Virginia
- Sally J. Wade b: ABT 1856 in , Nelson, Virginia
- Mary F. Wade b: ABT 1856 in , Nelson, Virginia
- John R. Wade b: AUG 1857 in , Nelson, Virginia
- Jerry Fortune Wade b: 13 JUL 1856 in Covesville, Albemarle, Virginia, United States
- Robert S. Wade b: DEC 1859 in , , Virginia
- Nettie J. Wade b: ABT 1862 in , , Virginia