Name: Daniel MOWEN
Birth: 20 APR 1764 in Antrim, Franklin county, Pennsylvania
Death: 26 MAR 1819 in Franklin county, Pennsylvania
Burial: Jacobs Lutheran cemetery, Leitersburg, Washington county, Maryland
Daniel served in the Washington Co., MD. Militia in the First Battalion No.1, under Capt. Daniel Clapsadle. Brother Ludwig also served in this company. [The Maryland Militia in the Revolutionary War, F. Edward Wright and S. Eugene Clements, p. 236]
His first marriage appears in the records of the Pastor Jacob Goering, c1791-1792 in Maryland (Maryland Hist. Society).
On the 1790 U.S. census he appears in Washington Twp, Franklin Co., Pa.
His last three children's births are recorded at Jacob's Lutheran Church on the state line of Pa. and MD. near Leithersburg, MD. and Waynesboro,PA.(1791-1860 LDS Film # 0824391 Item #3) The first four children were baptized at the Salem Reformed Church in Washington Twp., Franklin Co.,Pa. from 1796 to 1802.
Daniel bought his land April 11 1794 from James McNulty by deed of conveyance.
A Patent deed was obtained 3 Dec 1812. [Deed book H, No. 8, p. 369 Franklin Co., PA]. This tract was called "Belfast". Daniel also purchased "Smith's Retirement" on February 2, 1795 from Abram Smith. "By public outcry, it was sold by Jacob Snively, administrator for DanielMowen, desc., to John Lecron [son in law] Sept 27, 1824. John Lecron then sold this land to his son, Simon."This property is partly in AntrimTwp. and partly in Washington Twp., Franklin Co., Pa.
This property is 4 miles west of Waynesboro, on the road leading from the Waynesboro and Greencastle turnpike, to the Marsh store, one and a half miles north of the latter place, and about two miles south of the Turnpike."
Daniel was named co- executor for the estate of his brother, Ludwig, in 1803 in Bedford Co., Pa.
Daniel Mowen, Jr. was a farmer per the 1800/ 1807/ and 1810 Franklin County, Pennsylvania county census. His date of death comes from the Letters of Administration issued Mar 24, 1819 in Franklin Co., Pa. His wife was not named.
According to a bio of a grandson named Simon Lecron, daughter Catherine MOWEN LECRON was the third child of Daniel MOWEN and Dorothea Schnatter. I have not identified by name the first two children but we know that they were males from the 1800 and 1810 census.
Daniel and his first wife are buried in the Jacob's cemetery,Leitersburg, Washington County, Maryland.
Father: Daniel MOWEN , Sr. b: 1721 in Switzerland
Mother: CATHERINE b: ABT. 1722 in Maryland
Dorothea SCHNATTERLY b: 19 NOV 1773 in Lancaster county, Pennsylvania
21 DEC 1791
in Franklin county, Pennsylvania
- Peter MOWEN b: ABT. 1795 in Franklin county, Pennsylvania
- Ludwig MOWEN b: BEF. 1798 in Franklin county, Pennsylvania
- Catharine MOWEN b: 10 APR 1796 in Franklin county, Pennsylvania
- Dorothy MOWEN b: 30 DEC 1801 in Franklin county, Pennsylvania
- Elizabeth MOWEN b: 2 FEB 1804 in Franklin county, Pennsylvania
- Susan MOWEN b: BEF. 1805 in Franklin county, Pennsylvania
- Daniel MOWEN b: AFT. 1805 in Franklin county, Pennsylvania
- Sarah MOWEN b: AFT. 1805 in Franklin county, Pennsylvania
- George MOWEN b: 7 MAY 1806 in Franklin county, Pennsylvania
- Anna Barbara MOWEN b: 12 NOV 1808 in Franklin county, Pennsylvania
- Mary MOWEN b: 12 AUG 1811 in Franklin county, Pennsylvania c: 2 SEP 1811 in Jacob's Lutheran chuch, Washington county, Maryland
Catherine Hassler OMWAKE b: 30 SEP 1779 in Cocalico township, Lancaster county, Pennsylvania
29 AUG 1815
in Franklin county, Pennsylvania
- Peter MOWEN b: 2 MAY 1818 in Franklin county, Pennslyvania