Name: Catherine DAVIES
Birth: 14 DEC 1837 1 in Mahanoy City, Schuykill Co. PA 1
Christening: By Mr. E. B. Evans 1
Death: 18 FEB 1924 2 in Woodward, IA
Burial: 21 FEB 1924 2 Mountain View Cemetery, Pueblo, CO 3
Susie Evans Airheart told the story that when the Davies family came to America, the ship they sailed on had an outbreak of small pox shortly before they came into the harbor at Philadelphia. The people on board were quaranteened and not
allowed to land. At this time Jane Davies was pregnant with Catherine (born 14 Dec 1837), Susie's mother. They were kept on board so long that Catherine was almost born on board ship.
The family which included, John, Catherine, Elizabeth (Libby) and Susan (Susie) moved to Pueblo, CO sometime before September 1890, because that is when Libby died and was buried in Pueblo. Since the census of 1890 was destroyed it was not
Note: "Presented to Mrs. C. P. Evans by her Sunday School Classmates C. C. of Mahanoy City Apr. 29, 1890."
Note: This was probably a going away gift and the family must have moved to Pueblo shortly after April 1890.
possible to check where the family was living then. But a pewter cup/gobblet has been found in the possession of Phil Kellogg, a decsendant, with the following inscription:
Catherine is listed in the 1900 census in Pueblo, Pueblo Co. CO as a widow. She is shown as having given birth to 7 children, 5 of whom were living in 1900. She is also listed as having been married 36 years. Libbie is known to have died in
Note: Obituary--Thursday, February 21, 1924 "The Pueblo Chieftain", Pueblo, Pueblo Co. CO.
1890. Although William couldn't be located in the 1900 CO census, he is known to have died in Denver in 1920 so he wasn't the other deceased. According to the obituary shown below, David was still living in 1924, so Mary Jane is the other
child who was dead by 1900.
"Mrs. Catherine Evans, a former resident of Pueblo, died at Woodward, Iowa, where she was visiting relatives, on February 18. She is survived by four children, Philip and Frank of Pueblo, David of Shoamkin, Pa., and Mrs. Susie Aihart of Fargo,
Change Date: 19 JUL 2015
N. D. The body reached Pueblo Wednesday noon and private funeral services will take place Thursday afternoon at 2 o'clock from the United Davis-Vories chapel."
Father: David DAVIES b: ABT 14 OCT 1798 in Llandow, Glamorgan, Wales c: 11 NOV 1798 in St. Trinity, Llandow, Glamorgan, Wales
Mother: Jane WILLIAM b: 30 APR 1801 in Aberavon, Glamorgan, Wales c: 13 DEC 1801 in St. Mary's, Aberavon, Glamorgan, Wales
John P. EVANS b: 6 AUG 1832 in Merthyr Tydvill, Glamorgan, Wales c: 30 JUN 1837 in St. Tydfil, Merthyr Tydfil, Glamorgan, Wales
1 SEP 1856 4
in Mahanoy City, Schuykill Co. PA
- William EVANS b: 27 MAY 1857 in Wadesville, Schuylkill Co. PA
- Mary Jane EVANS b: 3 JUN 1859 in Wadesville, Schuykill Co. PA
- Phillip EVANS b: 15 MAY 1862 in Wadesville, Schuykill Co. PA
- David L. EVANS b: 31 DEC 1864 in Wadesville, Schuykill Co. PA
- Benjamin Franklin (Frank) EVANS b: 28 APR 1870 in Mahanoy City, Schuykill Co. PA
- Elizabeth (Libbie) EVANS b: 1 JAN 1873 in Mahanoy City, Schuylkill Co. PA
- Susie EVANS b: 6 MAR 1880 in Mahanoy City, Schuykill Co. PA
- Name: Davies-Evans family bible, printed in 1829 at the Clarendon Press, Oxford by Samuel Collingwood and others, printers to the University---original in possession.
- Name: Information from the files of grandson, Paul Airheart.
- Name: Mountain View Cemetery Records: Catherine Evans, West section, Lot 13, Block G, Grave 6, DOD February 18, 1924. Age at death 86y 2mo 4da.
- Name: "The Germond Family in America", Henry Shelden Germond,
Name: 11 Mar 2010.