Name: Andrew Warner
Given Name: Andrew
Birth: 1594 in Cambridge, Essex, England
Death: 26 Jan 1680/1681 in Middletown, Connecticut
Reference Number: 4375
The Lyon departed London about August 23, 1631, with "about" 60passengers and arrived at Nant ucket November 2, 1631. Among thepassengers were Andrew, his wife Mary, and their children An drew andMary. (5)
Change Date: 17 Dec 2001 at 13:06:11
The time of his known presence of England and his location make it seemlikely he was part o f "The Hooker Company" or "The Braintree Company" ledby Rev. Thomas Hooker. The minister an d his followers escaped to Hollandin 1629, then left for Cambridge, Massachusetts, on "The Gr iffin" onSeptember 4, 1633. Andrew also followed Hooker to Hartford, againpointing to a proba ble connection. (3) He appears in the town records ofCambridge (then Newtowne) on 7 January 1 632/3. (4)
On 20 December 1636, he sold his house to Captain George Cook and movedto Hartford (4), wher e he was an original proprietor of Hartford. (1,2,4)His house lot was on the south bank of th e Little River. (1,2) He wasDeacon of the First Church October 1633. (1,2,4)
He was surveyor of highways in 1639 and 1647. (4)
He moved to Hadley in 1659 with Elder Goodwin., (1,2,4) after selling hishouse on 17 Novembe r 1659 to William Loveridge for 130 pounds. He was anoriginal founder of Hadley and was ther e elected selectman in 1660, 1667and 1673. (4)
Andrew Warner hired his malt-house in Hadley, and it was burnt in 1665.He then built malt-wor ks for himself, and was the maltster of Hadley, andhis son Jacob seems to have succeeded him . Small stills, often calledlimbecs, were common in England more than 230 years ago, and hous ewivesdistilled cordials, sweet waters and medicinal waters, from herbs,flowers, spices, &c . The early settlers of Massachusetts, in Boston andvicinity, had many of these small still s in their houses, which appear intheir inventories, valued at from 15 to 45 shillings each . There weresome at Hartford and Windsor. Several ministers had one of these littlestills. An drew Warner of Hadley, had a small still valued at 10shillings... (2)
Andrew's will bequeathed to his wife, Eastor, his sons Jacob, Daniel,Isaac, Andrew, Robert an d John, and his daughters Ruth, Mrs. (Hannah?)Pratt, Mrs. (Mary?) Hills and Mary the wife o f John Taylor (?).(4)
Here are some more records.
Andrew Warner was of Hatfield Magna, Essex Co., England when he marriedMary Humphrey of Thaxt ed, Essex Co. there in 1624. She was the Mayor'sdaughter.
Andrew Warner is first mentioned in America in Cambridge, then called"New Town," MA, on 7 Jan uary 1633 in the second entry in town recordsregarding the erection of houses and the divisio n of the pale to enclosethe common with the number of rods each settler was to build. 42 name sare listed including Andrew Warner, 20 rods. 24 of the 42 built less than10 rods and only 1 1 built as much as 20 rods, indicating the possibilitythat Andrew was already a resident of C ambridge and among the wealthierof the town. He was made a Freeman 14 May 1634 and served i n many publicpositions in the town.
"The Descendants of Andrew Warner" indicates that Andrew may have settledfirst at Mt. Wollast on, later Quincy, MA, as a member of the BraintreeCo., but no proof has been established. I t is believed that Andrew was anadherent of the outspoken minister, Rev. Hooker, and may hav e known ofhis preaching in Essex Co., England before Hooker's removal to Hollandand, later, A merica. It is known that the Braintree Company was known as"Hooker's Company" and they late r removed to Newtowne.
"The homestead occupied by Andrew Warner is thus described in the'Proprietor's records of th e town of Cambridge:' 'June The 4th (1635)''Andrew Warner In the Towne one Howse and about on e Roode for a Backsideand garden, March Lane on the south west, Creeke Lane on the northwest, Will Kellsey northeast, Mathew Allen on the southeast.' According toPaige's History of Cambri dge, Marsh Lane corresponds to the presentElliot Street, and Creek Lane to Brattle Square. Th is places AndrewWarner's early home within a few rods of Harvard University, in the veryhear t of Cambridge. Besides this home lot he also owned six other parcelsland of land in Cambridg e..." (The Descendants of Andrew Warner," pg. 16)
On 20 December 1636 Andrew Warner sold his dwelling house and all hisother lands in Cambridg e to Capt. George Cook and either before or afterthis moved to Hartford, CT with Rev. Hooke r and a group from theCambridge area. The first mention of Andrew Warner in Hartford recordsd escribes his home lot in February, 1639, on the north side of thepresent Charter Oak Ave. , a little east of Main Street. He also had 4other parcels, totalling about 80 acres. He wa s described as Deacon ofthe Church of Christ in Hartford and it is believed that he was maded eacon while still in Cambridge. He was active in civic affairs while inHartford, acting as Su rveyor of Highways in 1639 & 1647, surveyor todivide the lands on the east side of the rive r in 1640, appointed to layout highways in January, 1640, and more. Andrew's name is listed o n theFounders Monument in Hartford.
His name does not appear in Hartford records from Jan. 1648 to April,1650 and he may have res ided in Farmington, CT during this time. InMarch, 1648, he owned 4 parcels of land in that to wn, but sold hisproperty there by Feb. 1650 and returned to Hartford.
After the death of Rev. Hooker in 1647, Rev. Stone was in charge of thechurch, but difference s arose between Stone's position on some doctrinalissues regarding baptism, membership, and d iscipline. Andrew was of theanti-Stone faction, known as the "Withdrawers." The result was th at in1659 a group of 59 people from Hartford, Wethersfield and Windsor, movedfrom their home s and established the new town of Hadley, MA, up theConnecticut River. Andrew was about 65 ye ars old at this time and hadbeen a resident of Hartford for 20 years. Others in the group inc ludedThomas Graves and Nathaniel Dickinson (see these names elsewhere in thisgenealogy). Andr ew sold his Hartford homestead 17 Nov. 1659 to WilliamLoveridge for 130 pounds, to be paid 1/ 3 in peas, 1/3 in wheat and 1/3 inhats - suggesting that, perhaps, Andrew was in the mercanti le business ora trader. However, subsequent entries in Hadley records indicate he was amaltst er.
Andrew was living in Hadley by 8 Oct. 1660, one of the first settlers,when a meeting was hel d at his house. His homestead was located on thewest side of the street leading to the rive r at both ends, the 12th lotfrom the north end. The road from Amherst to Northampton runs t o thesouth of his lot. He later also owned 8 other pieces of propertytotalling 42 acres. Andr ew was also active in civic affairs in Hadley,despite his age, being named Selectman in 1660 , 1667 and 1673.
Andrew died in Hadley 18 Dec. 1684 at age 90; son Daniel was executor ofhis estate. His wil l was probated 31 March 1685 in Hampshire Co. court.The inventory valued the estate at 365 po unds, 11, 4 and included 9parcels of land, some at Hoccanum, Hartford Township.
Father: John Warner b: 1568 in Broak Oak, Essex, England
Mother: Mary Purchase b: 1568 in Hatfield, Broak Oak, Essex, England
Mary Humfrey b: 23 Feb 1600/1601 in England
13 Oct 1624
in Thaxteed, Essex, England
- Mary Warner b: ABT 1626
- John Warner b: 1629 in Hatfield, Essex, England
- Hannah Warner b: ABT 1632
- Jacob Warner b: 1637
- Daniel Warner b: ABT 1635 in Cambridge, Middlesex, Massachusetts
- Robert Warner b: 1626 in Hatfield, England
- Ruth Warner b: 1630
- Isaac Warner b: 1645