Entries: 48033    Updated: 2015-10-23 10:29:08 UTC (Fri)    Owner: Jean Mizell    Home Page: RootsWeb's WorldConnect Project: FOUNDING FLORIDA PIONEER SETTLERS & THEIR DESCENDANTS  Note: You will leave RootsWeb

Index | Descendancy | Register

  • ID: I4637
  • _UID: 1AEB5332335E4FADBA64E6AF5EB9F5F7CDF1
  • Name: Maximillian (Maxey) M. Wildes
  • Reference Number: Dolfinxtase
  • Sex: M
  • Birth: 1800 in Scotland
  • Death: 22 JUL 1838 in Ware Co GA
  • Note:

    The Wildes Family Reunion in Ware County 2nd Sunday in October.

    Moved from Appling Co. to Ware Co. in 1825. Was 1st Lt. in 451st
    Dist. Militia of Appling 1822-1825. Was 1st Lt. in 584th Dist.
    Militia of Ware Co. from 1827-1828. He and his wife, Mary, and two
    children were murdered by Seminole Indians on Sunday morning 22 Jul 1838.

    "Pioneers of Wiregrass" Folks Huxford - Vol.5-pg 510
    Wildes, Maxey M.


    D.A.R. Will Mark Site of Historic Wildes Massacre
    Waycross Herald, 1935

    Ceremonies be Held Nov.15, 1935 During Forest Festival
    The Lyman hall chapter of the Daughters of the American Revolution will mark, on Friday afternoon, Nov. 15, during th e Slash Pine Festival, the spot where the last Georgia Indian massacre occurred. Appropriate ceremonies are being arra nged for the occasion, which will be of historical significance.

    The Wildes family, one of the pioneer groups of the early settlers of this section, were bottled up in their home, nea r the edge of the now famous Okefinokee Swamp, only one member of the family, a young boy, escaping the horrible deat h that was imposed by the Indians.

    The Lyman Hall Chapter, D.A.R., through their untiring efforts, have made this memorial possible, and impressive exerci ses will mark the dedication, which not only will designate the place of the burial of the dead, but will mark permanen tly the site of the Wildes home, once abiding place of the living.


    The following program has been arranged:

    Exercise opened by trumpet call
    Presentation of colors: Boy Scouts, Song, "Star Spangled Banner"
    Introduction of the speaker: Hon. E. Kontz Bennett
    Address: "Hon. Braswell Dean, member of Congress
    Music: High School Band
    Unveiling: Ruth and Alvin Wildes, descendants of the pioneer Wildes family of Ware County
    Presentation of marker by the regent of the Lyman Hall Chapter, Daughter of the American Revolution, Mrs. J.I.
    Acceptance of the marker: John M. Cox, ordinary of Ware County
    Placing of the wreath of Immortals on the tablet: by Mrs. J.L. Walter, Ware County historian
    Taps: Branch Lee, former commander of the Ware County Post of the American Legion

    History of the Family

    The history of the Wildes family and the story of the massacre which occurred several miles south of the present site o f Waycross, forms a glowing chapter in South Georgia.

    Maxwell (sic) Wildes, a frontier settler of Ware County, was a Scotchman by birth. According to tradition, he ran awa y from home in Scotland at twelve years of age, coming to the United States as a stowaway on a primitive trans-Atlanti c vessel.

    After landing in America he drifted to the piney woods of southern Georgia, joining a Scotch settlement in Montgomery C ounty, a part of which was set aside to Tattnall county in 1801. An inherent love for adventure dominated "Maxey" Wild es' nature. He liked hunting and fishing, and developed during his youthful days a robust body, and an unconquerable m ind. His love of adventure became a strong characteristic. He knew how to blaze his way through the forest, and estab lished a home where danger and death from the Indians was a constant menace.

    The forest afforded food for himself and his marsh pony and he little heeded the stress of the times, as long as he ha d power and lead for his "flint and steel" rifle.

    He learned of cheap lands in Appling county and together, with WILLIS CASON, WILLIAM GUY, ELIJAH MATTOX, and others fro m Tattnall County located on the north side of the Altamaha River, which was called "the Whitle Settlementî.

    He moved later on the "red side" of the Altamaha (the Indian side) where he joined a small settlement of Tattnall Count y contemporaries. This land called the "The Red Side" of the Altamaha afterwards was organized into the county of Ware .

    The Wildes home was constructed of logs mortised and pinned together with wooden pegs. The floors were of puncheons, m ade of flat slabs split from whole tree trunks, and the doors (there were no windows) were swung on great wooden hinges , while the chimney was made of "stick and dirt" with the fireplace extending half way across the end of the log cabin.

    Maxwell Wildes was married to Miss Elizabeth Wilkerson during the year of 1809. She was truly a brave pioneer woman wh o sealed her faith with her blood, and fell a victim to her energy and devotion.

    It was during the administration of Governor George Gilmer that the Indians became aggressive in this section. The Sem inoles were still waging warfare against the United States, making frequent irruptions from the fastness of the Okefino kee Swamp on the pioneer settlers of the vicinity.

    Governor Gilmer ordered a portion of the state militias to the scene, to render protection to the citizens whose live s were in danger.

    Story of the Massacre

    General Hilliard in a letter to Governor Gilmer told in a graphic way told of the murder of Mrs and Mrs. Wildes and the ir six children, and a Wilkerson child who was a visitor in the Wildes home at the time of the brutal massacre.

    Reuben, the eldest son, made a getaway and notified the soldiers camped a short distance away. Captains Dade and the U nited States Dragoons were stationed within three miles of the Wildes home. With about forty soldiers Captain Dade wen t in pursuit of the Indians, but the red skins had retreated several miles into the Okefinokee swamp and sere safe. Gen eral Hilliard's letter was dates, "Waresboro, Ware County, July 25, 1838. It pointed out that the Wildes family massac re occurred July 22, 1838.

    The soldiers in the face of the emergency for the burial of the dead, took a wagon boy and excavated a space large enou gh to hold it, the multiple gave being dug near the home that had been the Wildes abiding place in life.

    In the year 1916, the late Dr. A.P. English of Waycross was a visitor to the Everglades in Florida where he met Billy B owlegs and Indian Chieftain who had previously lived on Billy's Island (which bore his name) in the Okefinokee. When t he old Indian learned that Doctor English was from Waycross he told him that he (Billy Bowlegs) was the chief over th e tribe that massacred the Wildes family on Sunday morning July 22, 1838.

    Chat | Daily Search | My GenForum | Community Standards | Terms of Service Jump to Forum


    The Wildes Massacre
    by Gertrude Wildes Johnson
    Ever since I can remember I have heard my Grandfather tell the story of the last Indian massacre in Georgia when the In dians killed his Grandfather, his wife and seven children. But until recently the story held very little interest to m e. I always enjoyed hearing my Grandfather tell the story, but it had no significance; to me it was very much like a f airy story. Now, I believe the importance of preserving the actual facts of the last Indian massacre in Georgia, for h istorical purposes as well as the events to be long remembered and passed down from generation to generation in the Wil des family.

    On the night of November 1st, 1930 I spent the night with my grandparents out on their farm about two miles from Folkst on, Georgia, and while there induced my Grandfather to repeat the story to me, and as he repeated it to me I still ende avor to tell it here.

    It seems that Maxmillan Wildes was a husky, dominating pioneer ñ one who has always take care of his family and figure d he always could. But the time came one day when he was powerless in the face of great danger. He could have avoide d the situation, he had ample chance to flee, but when any such thought came to him, the old feeling, ìIím able to tak e care of me and mineî, crowded out his cautious impulses. He had taken care of himself when he ran away from his hom e in England when he was twelve years old; he had hidden away on a ship and came across the Ocean; he had managed throu gh the dangers and privations of pioneer days in Georgia; he had taken care of his young wife, Sarah Wilkinson, whom h e had married when he was quite a young man; he had, by the strength of his own good arm, reared and cared for ten chil dren, and now that he was at last settled in a home of his own, with crops and cattle and timberland, he would not leav e it through fear of anyone or anything. If ever a man had a ìhunchî though that something terrible was lurking near , Maxmillan Wildes did.

    In the big ìfront roomî of his little house on edge of the Okefenokee swamp in South Georgia back in June of 1832, Maxm illan Wildes sat and stood at intervals, paced the floor restlessly, and finally gave vent to an expression that indica ted his anxiety, ìI tell you, I donít like what I saw this afternoon, I donít like it at all!î The children begged tha t he tell them about it; his wife questioned him repeatedly, but he refused to discuss it for fear of alarming them.

    It takes only a slight suggestion to what a womanís intuition; Sarah knew Max was not accustomed to such anxiety. Sh e knew, too, it was no small worry that caused him to pace the floor restlessly as he was doing, so she pleaded with hi m to take her and the children to a neighborís house for the night, or else take them to the soldiersí camp which was l ocated about five miles away. Wildes resented her lack of faith in his ability to take care of them and assured her th at she need not fear.

    Early in the afternoon of this same day, Wildes and his wife had been to a pond near their home, gathering and burnin g ìsceniaî bushes for which they got lye to make soap. Just as they were preparing to come home, Wildes heard a rustl e of limbs a short distance away, and looking in that direction saw several people hiding in ambush. As quickly as pos sible he took the bit of ìsceniaî bushes they had secured and hurried home. His wife did not stop to question his hast e until that evening when his actions led her to believe that he had seen something that had aroused his suspicions.

    As a wagon drew up, the family dismissed for a moment their fears and went out to greet two cousins, Alice Wilkinson an d her little brother, who came to spend the night. After supper the children built up a great bonfire and played aroun d until time to retire.

    Very late in the night different members of the family were aroused several times by two yard dogs barking furiously, a s they were accustomed to do when strangers were nearby. As the dogs would bark only a short time and then stop, the y gave little weight to it, and no one got up to investigate. At daybreak Mrs. Wildes went out into the yard to ligh t from the embers of the bonfire. Just as she walked into the yard, she heard a thump, thump on the ground nearby. Lo oking in the direction from whence it came, she became paralyzed with fear and rushed into the house to the bed where W ildes was sleeping and shaking him, shouted, ìMax, the Indians are outside!î Wildes jumped out, seized his gun and sho uted in a loud voice, ìBoys, get your guns and letís kill them damn Indiansî. Wildes thought he might frighten the Indi ans off with this bluff. He had only one gun in the house and one boy big enough to shoulder a gun. One of the Indian s replied in his broken way, ìWe know you got no gun. We know how many of youî. The Indians had been lurking around f or several days and knew just how he stood.

    Wildes went out through an opening at the end of his house, where he intended putting the chimney, and fired the firs t shot; then in a body the Indians charged him, wrenched his gun from his hand and shot him through the breast. Mary A nne, his eight year old daughter, grabbed the baby and ran, but she and the baby were beaten down, the baby dying immed iately. Mary Anne was unmercifully beaten and bruised. Mrs. Wildes and the children rushed from the house toward Dubu s Bay, near their house, but as they ran into the open, the Indians were able to catch five of them. They knocked the m with clubs, and beat them mercilessly.

    John, the eight-year-old boy, slipped into a bunch of palmettos and crouching there watched as his parents, brothers, a nd sisters being killed. The Indians would pass so near him he could almost touch their feet and legs as they passed . Later when he saw an opening he slipped out and ran for a farmhouse about two miles away. Mrs. Wildes managed to ru n to the outer edge of the bay, where she hid in some bushes. Helpless and unable to aid her children and husband, sh e waited patiently for some of them to join her. At intervals she peeped through her bushes and saw one after anothe r of her children slain. The path through the Bay was open to her, but she refused to take it. Seeing her children an d husband killed, and feeling that she had nothing more to live for she gave up, fell upon a long and did not try to es cape.

    Mr. & Mrs. Wildes and seven children were killed. Through Dubus Bay four sons, Reuben, the oldest 16 years old, Jim, J esse, and John and Alice Wilkinson, the little girl who came to spend the night escaped. None of the Massacre spread t o the neighbors who heard the gunshots. They hurried toward the Wildes place and met the boys who had escaped. Immedia tely they took word to a small company of soldiers under Captain Elias Waldron, stationed on the edge of Kettle Creek a bout five miles away. The Captain, fearing the Indians might continue their march, ordered all the women and childre n in that section, now known as Waycross, to gather in an old fort, (which stands today), and place them under guard . The men and soldiers hurried to the scene of the terrible massacre. The home was burned to the ground; the cows pen ned up, were bellowing on account of the odor of blood, and dead bodies were lying about. The heard someone calling i n a weak voice, and turned to find Mary Anne still clinging to the baby and calling for water. One of the men rushed o ff to get it for her and immediately upon drinking it she fell over dead.

    The Indians had taken everything they could use, and after burning the house, had destroyed everything possible. The y had emptied the bed ticks of their feathers and had set them flying everywhere. Then they had danced the bloody danc e and were gone. The soldiers, unable to find a covering for the bodies, took from their horses the saddle blankets, w rapped the nine bodies and laid them in the body of a new cart Mr. Wildes had recently made, and buried them all in th e same grave. The stump of a Chinaberry tree about four feet high, with its sprouting branches marks the grave today.

    Having performed this simple funeral rite, the soldiers rushed ahead in search of the Indians. They tracked them to wh ere they saw the smoke of campfire, but the Indians had already retreated to the big Cypress, a dense swamp used by th e Indians as a hiding place. As well as they could tell there were about thirty Indians. Soon after this event Genera l Oglethorpe ordered all of the Indians to be driven out of Georgia.

    Mrs. Gertrude Wildes Johnsonís grandfather was Flournoy Wildes and his father was John Wildes who was one of the boys w ho escaped the massacre.

    ìBoys, get your guns and letís kill these damn Indians!î shouted Maximillan Wildes

    The outburst was a bluff, and the Seminoles, who camped in the Okefenokee Swamp,
    knew it. The Georgia pioneer heard a reply in broken English: ìWe know how many of
    you there are, and how many guns you have.î

    The husky man, who once remarked, ìIím able to take care of me and mine,î realized
    now that he was powerless. The thought the he could have avoided this situation flashed
    through his mind. Sarah and the children could be safe at a neighborís home if he had
    listened to his wife, but his Scotch pride would not allow him to leave what was his.
    And, he never dreamed the Indians would dare attack his farm. Werenít Captain Dade
    and the United States Dragoons, stationed less than four miles away? Forty soldiers
    would surely put an end to any surly, resentful, and drunk savages. He had confidence in
    himself and the militia. Where were they NOW?

    whirled through his brain. Cheaper lands in Appling County had beckoned him. The
    north side of the Altamaha River was being settled by many families in the early 1800ís,
    but the land across the river, the ìRed Sideî, tempted him to move there. This Indian
    territory that would become Ware County.

    An inherent love for adventure dominated Maxey Wildes nature. He liked hunting
    and fishing and during his youth, he developed a robust body and an unconquerable
    mind. He knew how to blaze his way through the forest, so he established a home where
    danger and death from the Indians were a constant menace. The forest afforded food for
    himself and his marsh pony, and he little heeded the stress of the times, as long as he had
    powder and lead for is ìflint and steelî rifle.

    In 1809, he married Sarah Wilkerson, who would bear him ten children. These children
    now entered his thoughts: Mary Anne, only eighteen-years old, was frightened, not for
    herself, but for the infant, his youngest, whom she clutched tightly in her arms; his sons
    who would not see manhood or carry his name to succeeding generations. And the
    visiting neighbor children, Alice Wilkerson and her little brother, what about them? And
    his house? He had worked hard on the structure. Typical of the cabins found in
    Southeast Georgia during the pre-Civil War period, his home was constructed of logs,
    mortised and pinned together with wooden pegs. The floors were of puncheons, made of
    flat slabs split from whole tree trunks, and the doors were swung on great wooden hinges,
    while the chimney was made of ìstick and dirtî with the fireplace extending halfway
    across the end of the log cabin. There were no windows, only round holes for cocked

    Now, facing the circular openings, was the position of the father and son, Reuben, the
    only one big enough to shoulder a gun, on that early July 22nd Sunday morning in the
    summer of 1838. Wildes, however, had only one weapon.

    His mind flashed back to wife Sarah. Her intuition should have been heeded she knew
    they were in danger. And, it was he who first saw signs of trouble, and had paced the
    floor of the cabin, airing his anxiety: ìIíll tell you, I donít like what I saw this afternoon,
    I don?t like it. His wife had questioned him repeatedly, but he refused to discuss his
    hunch for fear of alarming them. Sarah begged him to take her and the children to a
    neighbor?s house for the night. Pride aroused, he told her that she need not fear.

    The day before the tragedy, early in the afternoon, he and Sarah had gathered and burned
    scenia bushes for lye to make soap. Max heard the rustle of bushes a short distance
    away. Looking in that direction, he saw several people hiding in ambush. His wife
    didn?t stop to question his haste until that evening. It was at this time that a wagon drew
    up, and the family went out to greet the two relatives who had come to spend the night.
    All fears were briefly forgotten as the children played around a huge bonfire.

    But, uneasiness was evident if one should have noticed the barn and domestic animals.
    All during the night the dogs would bark furiously, stopping at intervals. Little thought
    was given this disturbance because, usually, a stranger?s approach would have created
    barking lasting until someone in the house made an appearance.

    Daybreak presented a horrifying site. Going into the yard to gather embers from the
    almost dead bonfire for a light, Mrs. Wildes heard a bottle hit the ground. She became
    paralyzed with fear when she turned and saw the cause of the sound. Rushing into the
    house, she awakened her husband. Wildes, the Indians are outside!

    Maximillian Wildes had relived his life up to the moment. His decision came with the
    firing of the first shot. The Indians, in a body of about fifty warriors, charged him,
    wrenched his gun from his hand, and shot him through his chest. Mary Anne, holding the
    baby, was beaten with a club. There was still one avenue of escape for the survivors.
    The path to DuBuss Bay, near the home, was open. Mary Anne, holding the baby,
    dashed toward the water?s edge, followed by Mrs. Wildes with the other children. The
    teenage girl, the baby and five of the youngsters were beaten down with clubs. Mrs.
    Wildes manages to get to the outer edge of the bay. She hid in some bushes and looked
    back. Praying that some of her family would join her. She lost hope as she saw one after
    the other of her children slain. Feeling that she had nothing more to live for, she gave up,
    fell upon a log, and awaited her fate. Through DuBuss Bay, however, unknown to the
    mother, four sons -- the oldest, Reuben, and Jim, Jesse, and John and Alice, the little
    girl who had come to spend the night, escaped.

    News of the massacre spread to the neighbors who had heard gun shots. They hurried
    toward the Wildes place and met the other boys who had escaped. Immediately, they
    took word to a small company of soldiers under Captain Elias Waldron, stationed on the
    edge of Kettle Creek about four miles away. The captain, fearing the Indians might
    continue their march, ordered all the women and children in this section to gather in an
    old fort and placed them under guard. The men and soldiers rushed to the scene of the
    bloody massacre.

    The home, so dearly loved by Wildes, was burned to the ground; the penned-up cows
    were bellowing because of the odor of blood coming from dead bodies lying about. Teen
    Mary Ann, still clinging to the now-dead baby, called out in a weak voice for water. A
    soldier rushed to get his canteen for her, and with the first sip, she fell dead. The final
    total of deaths in the last Indian massacre in Georgia was Nine; Mr. and Mrs.
    Maximillian Wildes and seven children.

    Responding troops noticed that the Indians had taken what they wanted and destroyed
    what remained ñ their ceremonial dance of victory completed. They were gone. The
    soldiers, unable to find a covering for the bodies, took the saddle blanket from their
    horses, wrapped the bodies and laid them in the new cart Wildes had recently made and
    buried them all in the same grave. The stump of a four-foot-high chinaberry tree, with its
    spread branches, marked the grave.
    ** end of section I

    Home: Surnames: Wildes Family Genealogy Forum

    Attn: All Wildes family researchers (GA)
    Posted by: Susan Mahoney Date: November 19, 1999 at 14:33:49
    of 125

    While researching my O'Quin/Gwinn family, who were killed by indians, I came across the following information on the Wi ldes family that I thought might be useful. This info came from Niles' Register-Aug. 18, 1838.

    "Camp Wildes, (Geo.), July 23rd, 1838

    "Forty five miles northwest of Centreville, on Sunday morning, a man came full speed into camp with the cry of Indians . I asked where. He said about 5 miles off, that he had just removed a family who heard the report of guns and the scre ams of people. We were in our saddles in a few moments, and under full speed to the spot where the alarm originated; an d O, God! of all the scenes I ever saw, or ever wish to see, presented itself to view. On reaching the ground, a man, w ife and four children of his own and two of his own sister's had fallen by the Indians. Three children of the six wer e alive when we reached the spot, one about 3 years old had been shot through the abdomen and lay asleep on the dead mo ther, another about 10 rods from the mother. But O, horrid to tell, I found a fine young lady of 18, shot in two place s and dirked in another, with about 20 hogs around her, and she yet alive and had her senses perfectly. This was the mo st trying time I had ever seen. I gave her cold water which she wished much, and remained with her as long as I could , till obliged to go in search of the Indians. We left a guard to protect them, and administer to them all thay they co uld, but all expired in less than twenty minutes after we left.

    We returned to camp , then camp______, now camp Wildes, that being the name of the murdered family. Two children escape d-one of them says a white man was with the Indians and caught him--asked him why he did not run; the boy told him he w ould, if he would let him go-which the man did.

    We are making arrangements to scour the country about Fort Fanning and it's vicinity. In haste the express waiting, wit h respect, your obedient servant.

    N. Darling, lieut. 2d dragoons


    Re: Attn: All Wildes family researchers (GA) Georgia Evans 11/04/00
    Search this forum:

    Find all of the wordsFind any of the words Search all of GenForum:

    Proximity matching
    Agreement of Use
    Link to GenForum
    Add Forum

    Home | Help | About Us | | | Site Index | Jobs | Privacy | Affiliate
    © Copyright 1996-2002,, LLC. All rights reserved.

    Dear Donita,
    I am a direct descendent of Maximillan Wildes, via son John, and have a family geneology book "Descendants of Maximilla n Wildes of Scotland and Georgia", c. 1964. Am trying to determine the original clan associations if any, and any othe r information. Thanks, Faye Wildes-Todd

    Mary Ella Henry
    143 White Magnolia Circle
    Savannah, Georgia 31419
    United States

    Written by Carolyn Wildes Cunningham

    Many of us have heard from our parents and read in our family history that Maximillan
    Wildes came to the US from Scotland as a stowaway on a boat around 1800. I never
    heard anything else about is parents or whether he had brothers or sisters.

    From our family history, we learned that Maximillan Wildes joined a Scotch settlement
    in Montgomery county, a part of which was set aside to Tattnall County in 1801,
    according to an article published on page 47 of Descendants of Maximillan Wildes of
    Scotland and Georgia, UPDATED 1984 , compiled by Mrs. Willis (Hazel Wildes). ìhe
    learned of cheap lands in Appling coutny and , together with Willis Cason. William Guy,
    Elijah Mattox and others from Tattnall county, located on the north side of the Altamaha
    River, which was called the White Settlement, according to this same article. ìHe
    moved later on the Red Side of the Altamaha - the Indian side, where he joined a small
    settlement of Tattnall county contemporaries. This land was called the Red Side, of the
    Altamaha afterwards was organized into the county of Ware. Also, we learned from this
    article that Maximillan Wildes was married to Elizabeth Wilkerson in the year 1809.

    In my research, at both the Federal Archives and Record Center, in East Point, Georgia,
    and at the Georgia Archives in Atlanta, I have not been able to find any records to verify
    these statements. For example, at the Federal Archives and Record Center, I found a
    book titled Federal Naturalization Oaths for both Savannah, Georgia and Charleston, S.C.
    for 1790 through 1860. The list of names contained in the book came from the Federal
    Court Records, District of Georgia, Savannah. I could not find a listing for ìWildeî or a
    Wildes or any name close to that spelling in the Name catalogue at the Ga. Archives. I
    did find this listing: Maxey M. Wildes, lieutenant, Ware County; Jan 25, 1827- Mrch 18,
    1828. (M.R. 1808-1829 p. 179)

    But I have not been able to find any record that Maximillan or Maxey M. Wildes lived in
    Savannah or the he resided in Tattnall County he and his family moved to the area that
    became Ware County. I also cold not find any marriage records of our ancestor to
    Elizabeth Wilkerson in the Marriage Records Abstracts 1805-1852, Chatham County, Ga.
    at the Ga. Archives. If he had lived as a young teen in Savannah and moved from there
    to the interior of Georgia, I thought it might be possible the he married Elizabeth
    Wilkerson in Chatham County, I also could not find a record in case he married her in
    Tattnall County.
    NOTE: this is another account of the life of Maxey Wildes.
    End of this section
    Judy Strickland


    File contributed for use in USGenWeb Archives by Barbara Walker Winge []

    QUARTERLY, VOL. 1, JULY 1922, NO. 3, pp. 09-11.

    9th June, 1838 to 19th August, 1838. Ordered into service
    by Col. Thomas Hillard, commanding officer of malitia [sic],
    Ware County, Georgia, to repel Indian invasion into that
    county in 1838, called out By authority of Gov. Gilmer.


    Captain, David J. Miller
    1st. Lieut., Hampton Harris
    2nd Lieut., Martin J. Miller
    1st. Sargent, Wm. A. McDonald
    2nd Sargent, John B. Cason

    3rd Sargent, William Van Zant

    4th Sargent, Isham Peacock

    1st Corporal, Allen Dixon

    2nd Corporal, Benajah B. Morris
    3rd Corporal, William Lee
    4th Corporal, Daniel Byrd

    Addison, Mark L.
    Anthony, Lawrence
    Bennett, Richard
    Bohannon, Duncan

    Also See:
  • Change Date: 18 JUN 2011

    Marriage 1 Sarah Elizabeth Wilkerson b: ABT 1805 in Ware Co GA
    • Married: ABT 1821 in Tattnall Co GA
    1. Has No Children Mary Ann Wildes b: 1822
    2. Has Children Ruben wildes b: 1824 in GA
    3. Has Children Jesse Wildes b: 1826 in Ware Co GA
    4. Has Children James Christopher wildes b: 14 JUL 1828 in Tattnall Co GA
    5. Has Children John Wildes b: 1830 in Tattnall Co GA
    6. Has No Children William Wildes b: 1835
  • We want to hear from you! Take our WorldConnect survey

    Index | Descendancy | Register

    Printer Friendly Version Printer Friendly Version Search Ancestry Search Ancestry Search WorldConnect Search WorldConnect Join Today! Join Today!

    WorldConnect Home | WorldConnect Global Search | WorldConnect Help
    We want to hear from you! Take our WorldConnect survey is NOT responsible for the content of the GEDCOMs uploaded through the WorldConnect Program. The creator of each GEDCOM is solely responsible for its content.