Name: Alfred S. (Alford) KOONS
Given Name: Alfred S. (Alford)
Birth: 10 Apr 1819 in IN
Death: 9 Jun 1901 in Philips Co., KS
Burial: Greenwood Cemetery, Phillips Co., KS
His name also appears as Alpheus and Alford.
Change Date: 18 Feb 2016 at 09:23:05
In 1840 Alfred and Matilda were living in Louisa Co., IA; his name is listed as Alphues. Hi s brother, Jaspar, and his wife and daughter had also moved to Louisa Co. On 15 Sept 1842 Alf red and Matilda sold for $200 a 96 acre parcel to Asa Koons in Morgan Co., IN; this was recor ded 30 Jan 1844 in Morgan Co., when Alfred and Matilda were in Louisa Co. Alfred is listed i n the 1847 Louisa Co. Resident Tax List. In 1850 Alfred was a farmer in Wapello, IA. In 185 6 Alfred Koontz farmed in Wapello Township, Louisa Co. (page 328) with his wife Martha and ch ildren William, Nancy, and Lucinda.
Alfred was convicted of grand larceny in Henry County, IA and sentenced to five years in pris on. He was admitted on 25 Nov 1859 to Iowa State Penitentiary at Fort Madison, Lee County, I A. He was listed as age 40, a native of Indiana, a farmer, married. It was noted to be hi s first offense. Alfred was pardoned and released on 25 June 1862.
On 13 July 1862 Alfred remarried to Mrs. Matilda Koons in Louisa Co. Matilda may have divorc ed Alfred after his conviction on grand larceny.
In 1870 he was again farming in Oakland Township, Louisa Co., IA (page 458). The three young er children had moved out, and Robert and Milton were living at home. Also a Henry Taylor, b orn 1854/5 in IA, lived with them. The land was valued at $5,010.00 with personal property a t $1,135.00, listed as belonging to Matilda. After Matilda died the family moved to Kirwin , Phillips Co., Kansas in 1873.
On 10 Mar 1875 Alfred purchased 160 acres (NE, W of SE, Section 27, Township 5, Range 17) i n Bow Creek Township, Phillips Co., KS from Daniel George on a warranty deed. On 10 Oct 187 6 he deeded this land to his grandchildren Louis H., Thomas A., Alvy, Matilda J., and Minni e Koons. On 23 Dec 1881 he homesteaded 640 acres (S, SW, 24-5-17 & N, NW , 25-5-17) in Bow C reek.
In 1875 Alfred lived in Bow Creek with wife Mary and children Wilson R., Milton, and Joseph . In 1880 he lived in Bow Creek Township, Phillips County, KS; at home were his wife and son s Robert, Milton, Joseph, and George. In 1885 at home were Milton, Joseph, George, and an L . Koons, a boy of under one year. In 1900 Alfred and son George are recorded twice living wi th both sons, Milton and Joseph.
Father: Devault KOONS b: ABT 1782 in Randolph Co., NC
Mother: Amelia (Milly, Milley) KOONS b: 1785/1786 in NC
Matilda GILLASPY b: 7 Jan 1822 in KY
3 Jul 1839
in Johnson Co., IN
- Alfred KOONS b: 25 Sep 1840 in Oakland Township, Louisa Co., IA
- Matthew KOONS b: 25 Sep 1840 in Oakland Township, Louisa Co., IA
- William M. KOONS b: 21 Nov 1841 in Louisa Co., IA
- Nancy KOONS b: 10 Apr 1843 in Louisa Co., IA
- Wiley KOONS b: 1845 in Louisa Co., IA
- Lucinda KOONS b: 1847/1848 in Louisa Co., IA
- Arthur KOONS b: 1851 in Louisa Co., IA
- Martha J. KOONS b: ABT 1853 in Louisa Co., IA
- Matilda KOONS b: 1855 in Louisa Co., IA
- Louisa KOONS b: 1856 in Louisa Co., IA
- Robert Wilson KOONS b: 11 May 1863 in IA
- Milton KOONS b: 22 Aug 1865 in Muscatine Co., IA
Mary Catherine ASKREN b: 20 Aug 1856 in Cantril, Van Buren Co., IA
21 May 1874
in Phillips Co., KS
- Note: The marriage certificate was in 1874 and has Askrens struck out and Anderson written over i n ink. Alford [Alfred] Koons's family bible lists the marriage in 1873.
- Joseph Price KOONS b: 28 Apr 1874 in Bow Creek Township, Phillips Co. KS
- George Washington KOONS b: 18 Jun 1878 in Phillips Co., KS
- James Mathue Wesley KOONS b: 26 Aug 1881 in Kirwin, Phillips Co., KS