Name: Joaquina Freitas MARTINS-LUCIO
Given Name: Joaquina Freitas
_AKA: Lucy, Lucia
Birth: 14 Feb 1874 in Lajes das Flores, Azores
Death: 10 Feb 1959 in Fresno Co., CA
Burial: 14 Feb 1959 Calvary Cemetery, Fresno, Fresno Co., CA
Joaquina was worked as a slave back in the Azores. She stole gold from her father's trunk fo r passage to the US in 1892. She worked for the Hoffman family where she met her future husba nd Frank.
Change Date: 22 Jan 2005 at 00:00:00
Joaquina had many hardships caring and trying to raise a large family. She was very religiou s and wanted her family to go to church every Sunday, a difficult chore with the older childr en.
Joaquine would sit for hours making quilts, crocheting and other hand work. At one time she s pun wool out of one of her sheep and put it into a quilt. She always had Kale growing in th e backyard to make kale soup, which she made often. She had her own language, a mix-up of Por tuguese and English with a little "Chinese" thrown is for sound. She was a strong woman who e ndured much hardship and sadness.
Father: Francisco JosÚ de Freitas MARTINS b: 12 Jan 1833 in Morros, Flores, Azores
Mother: Maria de Trinidade VIEIRA b: 19 May 1845 in Morros, Flores, Azores
Franšisco MaurÝcio de FRAGA b: 20 Dec 1861 in Lajes, Flores, Azores
17 Apr 1894
in Selma, Fresno Co., CA
- Note: Marriage certificate, Vol. F, page 106: Frank Frago, age 32, Portugal, and J. Lucia, age 19 , Portugal, were married in Selma on Apr. 17, 1894. Recorded by J. Brindeirs.
- Adeline Cecelia FRAGA b: 14 Jul 1895 in Yearington, Mason Valley, NV
- Annie FRAGA b: 24 Jan 1896 in Modesto, Stanislaus Co., CA
- Frank Morris FRAGA b: 16 Sep 1897 in Modesto, Stanislaus Co., CA
- Lucy Agnes FRAGA b: 19 Mar 1900 in Modesto, Stanislaus Co., CA
- Anna Margaret (Annie) FRAGA b: 28 Jan 1902 in F Street, Fresno, Fresno Co., CA
- William Lawrence FRAGA b: 24 Jul 1903 in West Park, Fresno, Fresno Co., CA
- Mary FRAGA b: 6 Aug 1904 in West Park, Fresno, Fresno Co., CA
- Morris Jerome FRAGA b: 28 Jul 1905 in West Park, Fresno, Fresno Co., CA
- Clara Elizabeth FRAGA b: 30 Dec 1907 in West Park, Fresno, Fresno Co., CA
- John B. (Johnny) FRAGA b: 27 May 1910 in West Park, Fresno, Fresno Co., CA
- Mary Alice FRAGA b: 6 Nov 1911 in West Park, Fresno, Fresno Co., CA
- Eulalia Louise (Lolly) FRAGA b: 10 Oct 1913 in West Park, Fresno, Fresno Co., CA
- Frances Loretta FRAGA b: 12 Nov 1915 in West Park, Fresno, Fresno Co., CA
JosÚ M. GOMES b: 4 Mar 1871 in Passagem, Flores, Azores
15 May 1920
in St. Alphonsus Church, Fresno, Fresno Co., CA
- Note: They were married by Rev. John J. Fitzgerald. Witnesses were J. L. Alvarez and Maria Alvarez.