Name: Jehiel MURRAY
Given Name: Jehiel
Birth: 28 Mar 1708 in East Guilford, New Haven Co., CT
Death: 17 Jun 1798 in Merryall, Litchfield Co., CT
Ancestral File #: 8VGM-QW
Jehiel "went out west" probably between Mar and Sept 1745 and settled on a farm in a local ne ighborhood called "Merryall" some six miles from New Milford toward Kent in Litchfield county , Connecticut. The land records at both New Milford and Kent show several instances where Jeh iel Murray of Merryall sold land from Feb 4, 1745 to 1755. A judgment against him is recorde d in the Kent records in 1753.
Change Date: 18 Feb 2016 at 09:23:05
Cothren's History of Woodbury, CT says that in Oct 1748 eleven persons living in the southeas tern part of Kent and nine persons living in the northeastern part of New Milford petitione d the general assembly for liberty to hire a minister for six months of the year. This was o n the ground that the people lived from seven to ten miles from their places of worship in Ke nt and New Milford. Among the names listed were Jehiel Murray, Samuel Averill, James Terrill , John Guthrie, Samuel Cogswell, John Miles, and others. This church organization was probabl y located at New Preston, CT which is north ofNew Milford and southeast of Kent a short dista nce. The New Preston church records state that Mary, wife of Jehiel Murray was a charter memb er, joining by letter from another church. The records of the Congregational church at New Mi lford say that Mary Murray wife of Jehiel Murray was received into membership there 18 Mar 17 50.
Death date uncertain. He is probably buried in the Merryall Cemetery, but there is no marker.
Father: Jonathan MURRAY b: 1665/1667 in Scotland
Mother: Anna BRADLEY b: 16 Jan 1669 in Guilford, New Haven Co., CT
Margaret Mary WAY b: 7 Aug 1715 in Guilford, New Haven, CT
12 Nov 1733
in East Guilford, New Haven Co., CT
- Note: They were married by Richard Lord, J.P.
- Anne MURRAY b: 7 Mar 1734 in , East Guilford, New Haven, Conn
- Esther Lydia MURRAY b: 29 Sep 1735 in , East Guilford, New Haven, Conn
- Abner MURRAY b: 4 Apr 1739 in , East Guilford, New Haven, Conn
- Ezra MURRAY b: 11 Jul 1741 in East Guilford, New Haven Co., CT
- Reuben MURRAY b: 17 Feb 1743 in East Guilford, New Haven Co., CT
- Noah MURRAY b: 11 Apr 1747 in Merryall, Litchfield Co., CT c: 3 Apr 1750 in Kent, Litchfield Co., CT
- Irene MURRAY b: 13 Apr 1747 in , Merryall, Litchfield, Conn c: 14 Apr 1750 in , Kent, Litchfield, Conn
- Joel MURRAY b: 14 Jun 1750 in Kent, Litchfield Co., CT c: 17 Jun 1750 in Kent Congregational Church, Kent, Litchfield Co., CT
- Daniel MURRAY b: 9 Jun 1753 in Merryall, Litchfield Co., CT
- Ichabod MURRAY b: 16 Aug 1755 in Merryall, Litchfield Co., CT
- Philo MURRAY b: 1757 in , Merryall, Litchfield, Conn
- Solomon MURRAY b: 17 Aug 1758 in , Merryall, Litchfield, Conn