Name: Rose (GILBERT)
Given Name: Rose
Birth: ABT 1599 in England
Death: BEF 1691 in Maryland
1. Her maiden name is not known. She was married first to Richard Gilbert who was transported to Maryland by Leonard Calvert in 1633 on the ARK and the DOVE. Thus, she was among the first group of Maryland colonists.. Richard Gilbert died by 1638. Rose married second, Robert Smith on November 23, 1638.
Change Date: 4 Nov 2003 at 22:00:00
2. Her first husband Richard, a planter, owned a 600 acre plantation on the Eastern Shore of Maryland which she inherited.
3. In 1656, she was a member of an all woman jury in Talbot County in the trial of Judith Claypoole for the murder of her new-born child..
4. Col. Donald Fehlings of Renton, WA, concluded that "She was a literate person at the time when literacy was especially uncommon amongst even upper class women...It suggests that she may have been of a landed family in England, as most likely, was her husband Richard Gilbert".
5. The birthdate of Rose (Gilbert) Smith is based on a record in Privincial Court Proceedings in Oct 1658 which states that her age at that time was 58 years.
Robert SMITH b: ABT 1609 in England
- Anne SMITH b: ABT 1639
- Elizabeth GILBERT
- Grace GILBERT
- Title: Archives of Maryland Flowering of the Maryland Palentine etc.
Text: Archives of Maryland Flowering of the Maryland Palentine by Harry Wright Newman History of St. Mary's County by Regina Combs Hammett Early Settlers of Maryland by Gust Skordas Chronicles of Colonial Maryland by James Thomas Maryland Probate Records
Rose Smith. Her maiden name is not known. She was married first to Richard Gilbert who was transported to Maryland by Leonard Calvert in 1633. Richard Gilbert died by 1638. Rose married second, Robert Smith on November 23, 1638. Robert Smith and John Langford were the first tenants of Trinity Manor.
- Title: Passengers on the Ark and the Dove. Maryland Archives
Text: RICHARD GILBERT-1633
Warrants Lib.1,pg 121, Lib.A.B.H>,pg 37,98. Deceased prior to 1637 of St. Maries County, Maryland. Maryland Archives Lib. 4,pg.5,6. Married Rose Marriage License, Lib.1,pg.133-233. Married 2nd, prior to 1649. Robert Smith, Warrants Lib.4,pg.193.
- Title: Men's Career Files
Author: Dr. Lois Green Carr
Publication: Maryland State Archives sc5094-3859-01 and sc5094-3859-14