Name: John FOSTER, SR.
Birth: ABT 1686
Note: Birth date based on obit for grandson Joel Foster
Note: Please Note: The Abingdon Parish Register did not have a birth record for John Foster, Sr. ... So I'm guessing that he was the son of Richard & Elizabeth Foster or that he could be the nephew of Richard Foster. --- Becky Foster Barnhardt
Change Date: 2 JUN 2005
According to the following, John, Sr. was living when the Revolution started:
New Orleans Christian Advocate, Nov. 22, 1851, Obituary of Joel Foster ... "died at his plantation home in St. Helena Parish, La., on Aug. 11, 1851, Joel Foster, perhaps the last Revolutionary soldier in the bounds of St. Helena. Born in Gloucester Co., Virginia, Aug. 15, 1762, son of patriotic ancestry, his grandfather having taken up arms in defense of his country at the age of ninety years. His father was a Lt. in the Virginia Militia. Several brothers of Joel Foster also served with distinction in the Revolution: Capt. Josiah, Lt. John (surgeon), and Lt. Isaac."
Deed Book 7, Amelia Co. VA. Pg. 424: Deed. John Foster, Sr. of Kingston Parish, Gloucester Co. VA to James Foster of Amelia Co. and Joshua Foster of Kingston Parish, Gloucester Co. VA. Dated 8 Dec 1760. Consid: 125 pounds.
1. 577 acres to James Foster, being part of land patented June 15, 1750 by John Ellis, Indian Trader.
2. 289 acres to Joshua Foster in Amelia Co., being part of 1066 acres patented June 15, 1750 to said John Ellis.
Wits: James Foster, John Forrest, George Forrest, Josiah Foster, Joel Foster, Anthony Deggs, Jr. & John Foster, Jr.
Father: Richard FOSTER b: ABT 1658
Mother: Elizabeth [--?--]
- John FOSTER b: 1720/21 in Abingdon Parish in Gloucester Co. VA
- Grace FOSTER b: 1722 in Abingdon Parish in Gloucester Co. VA
- Richard FOSTER b: 1724/25 in Abingdon Parish in Gloucester Co. VA
- John FOSTER, JR. b: ABT 1728 in Abingdon Parish in Gloucester Co. VA
- Susanna FOSTER b: 1730 in Abingdon Parish in Gloucester Co. VA
- James FOSTER b: 1733 in Abingdon Parish in Gloucester Co. VA
- Robert FOSTER b: 1736 in Abingdon Parish in Gloucester Co. VA