Name: Mary O'MALEY
Given Name: Mary
Change Date: 24 FEB 2016
Birth: ABT 1825 in Ireland
Note: , based on censuses.
Census: JUN 1860 Milo PO (Littleton), Wetzel Co., WV
Census: JUN 1870 Bellaire, Belmont Co., OH
Census: JUN 1880 Bellaire, Belmont Co., OH
Will: 8 MAR 1888 Belmont Co., OH
Note: Her witnesses were Annie Tierney and Geo. M. Woodbridge. She left her estate to her husband Peter, but if he preceded her in death, she intended to leave her personal items and the wharf boat to her sons Martin and John and split the properties among all the surviving children.
Death: 30 JAN 1893
Note: The Wheeling Intelligencer refers to the death of a Mr. Peter Manley, who had been an invalid for four years. This is likely a typo and should read "Mrs." Her death was noted as February 1893 in an application for probate of her will filed in July 1898 following the death of her husband Peter. Her tombstone shows her to be 65 years old at death.
Burial: Bellaire, Belmont Co., OH
ADDR: Mt. Calvary Cemetery
Probate: 13 JUL 1898 Belmont Co., OH
The O'MALLEY Clan is one of the most prominent families in County Mayo, Ireland; O'Malleys are sparse elsewhere in Ireland. O'Malley People and Places states "the O'Malleys were the hereditary lords of the area encircling Clew Bay, known as Umhall Uí Mháille, or O'Malley's Territory." This comprised the baronies of Burrishoole and Murrisk as well as the islands off the coast. The O'Malleys were active on the sea; the most notable was a woman sea captain Gráinne Ní Mháille, who led the clan and had an audience with Queen Elizabeth I to free her son and brother from English prison.
It is unclear where Mary and Peter met. The first place we know they were together was in Stirling, Scotland for their marriage.
Peter MANLEY b: 1821 in Ireland
23 FEB 1852
in St. Mary's, Stirling, Scotland
- Note: Their witnesses were Michael McGinn and Bridget Nolan.
- William M. MANLEY b: 15 JAN 1853 in Stirling, Scotland
- Mary J. MANLEY b: 14 MAR 1855 in Glovers Gap, Marion Co., WV
- Bridget T. MANLEY b: 14 MAR 1855 in Glovers Gap, Marion Co., WV
- Peter MANLEY b: ABT 1857 in WV
- Patrick MANLEY b: ABT 1858 in WV
- Anthony MANLEY b: FEB 1860
- John MANLEY b: 5 APR 1862 in WV
- James MANLEY b: 11 MAR 1863 in WV
- Martin MANLEY b: JUN 1864 in Cameron, Marshall Co., WV