Name: John Garrard I
Birth: ABT 1546 in Co Buckingham England
Death: 7 MAY 1625 in St. Magnus Church, London, England
1592 Alderman of Aldgate, Apr 26 1592 (Cokayne, 6)
1592 Sheriff of London
1601 Lord Mayor of London
In the Herts Advertiser & St Albans Times, 24 July 1953, the following information appeared: The Lamer Park estate, Wheathampstead, which is to be offered for sale by Connell and Silkstone, is very well known in a much wider field than its immediate vicinity. Held by John de la Mare in the early part of the 14th century, the property was in the hands of Sir William Roche, Lord Mayor of London in the reign of Henry VIII. Thereafter the estate passed to various owners until 1617, when it was acquired by John Garrard. From that time it was held by connections of the Garrard family, one of whom was with the Scott expedition to the South Pole, until 1948, when it was purchased by the late Mr Grenville Hill. In 1761 the old Tudor manor was demolished by Sir Bennett Garrard and was rebuilt. An early 17th century archway, originally the main entrance to the Tudor House, now forms the entrance to the walled kitchen gardens. The main portion of the residence was partially demolished by the late Mr Grenville Hill and a new modern residence is being completed. A bell dated 1717 and inscribed "Sir Samuel Garrard - his bell" stands in the rear courtyard. (see list below)
From Burke, said to be in St Magnus' church, London: "Here lieth interred the Bodies of Sir John Gerrard, Knt. and Dame Jane, his wife, who was Daughter to Richard Partridge, Citizen and Haberdasher of London, by whom he had 13 Children; five whereof died young. They lived comfortably together, 43 years. He was Lord-Mayor of London in the year 1601. She departed this Life the 24 Jan. 1616; and he left this world, the 7 May, 1625, being 79 years old; leaving only 2 Sons and six Daughters behind him. This monument was erected at the Charges of Benedict Gerrard, Gent. his youngest son, 1629." (posted by Tim Powys-Lybbe)
St Magnus the Martyr's church is on Lower Thames Street, east of London Bridge and south of The Monument, and was rebuilt by Wren c. 1671-87.
From Burke's: "Sir John Garrard, knight, who was sheriff of London in 1593, and lord mayor in 1601. He married Jane, daughter of Richard Partridge, citizen of London, and had, with five other children who all died young without issue, John (Sir), his heir; Benedict; Anne who married Sir John Read of Wranghill in Lincolnshire; Elizabeth; Ursula who married Francis Hamby, esq of the county of Lincoln, and married Sir George Sams, and married to [unknown] Lyndley, esq, and married to [unknown] Robinson, esq of Totenham. Sir John died 7th May 1625 and lies interred in St. Magnus Church, where a handsome monument is erected to his memory." (Burke's, 592)
Will in the Public Record Office. PROB 11/145
Burke's Commoners, Vol 1, 1977 ed.
Cokayne, G. E. The Lord Mayors and Sheriffs of London 1601-1625, 1897.
Lamer Park estate
Monument information posted by Tim Powys-Lybbe:
Researched and compiled by Ann Blomquist, 12/2004.
This narrative is copyrighted material and may not be posted or published except by the compiler.
Father: William Garrard b: ABT 1507
Mother: Isabelle Nethermill b: ABT 1517
Jane Partridge b: ABT 1554 in England
in prob London
- Alice Garrard b: BET 1575 AND 1596
- Elizabeth Garrard b: BET 1575 AND 1596
- Isabelle Garrard b: BET 1575 AND 1596
- Jane Garrard b: BET 1575 AND 1596
- John Garrard II b: ABT 1585
- Benedict Garrard b: ABT 1588
- Anne Garrard b: ABT 1590 in prob London, England
- Ursula Garrard b: ABT 1592 in London, England
- 5 others Garrard b: BET 1574 AND 1596