Name: Thomas Jr. GREEN
Given Name: Thomas Jr.
Birth: in Bobbing Manor, Kent Co, England
Death: 1651 in St. Mary's Co, MD
Name: *Thomas Jr GREEN
* Sex: M
* Title: Governor
* Birth: in Bobbing Manor, Kent County, England
* Death: 1651 in St Mary' s Co, Maryland
* Burial: 1651 St Mary's Chapel Cemetery, St Mary's Co, Maryland
* Reference Number: 9419
In 1633 Thomas became an investor in a London holding company which
promised a profit from the trade of the newly formed colony of
Maryland. Thomas was one of the gentlemen adventurers and a passenger
on the Ark and Dove which sailed from Cowels, Isle of Wright on
November 22, 1633 and arrived at Maryland March 25, 1634.
Thomas married Ann Cox in 1634 and they built their home, known as
"St Anne's" on Green's Freehold. Their home was located in the
Townland plantation about a half mile east of St Mary's City. It was
bordered by St Mary's River and St Andrew's Creek and St Thomas' Lot,
or the sister's Freehold, the home of Margaret and Mary Brent. Thomas
was residing here when he received a patient for Green's Freehold on
October 15, 1639. The house was a two story building, with frame
sides and brick gable ends and was reported to still be in existence
in 1820. Thomas sold the plantation to George Brinks in 1644.
Thomas was summoned by Govenor Calvert and in 1639 formed a council
which later would become the Council of State, of which Thomas was a
By 1640 Thomas had received a grant for 1500 acres which comprised
part of Kent Island and the whole of Popley's (Popular) Island.
Thomas named this after his ancestral home of Bobbing Manor, Kent,
England and gave him the title of Lord of Bobbling Manor. He sold
Bobbling Manor on February 8, 1650 to Thomas Hawkins of London.
In 1644 the colony was in turmoil. Richard Ingle was accused of
treason against the king and escaped. He returned the following year
and invaded and captured St Mary's City. At this time many of the
colonist took refuge in Virginia, while Ingle and his adherents
plundered and destroyed the homes and possessions on the colonists.
Govenor Calvert raised a force of Virginians and Maryland and
reclaimed the town. Calvert offered a pardon to those who took the
Oath of Fidelity.
Governor Calvert died on June 9, 1647, but before his death he had
selected Thomas Green, a council member, as his successor. Thomas was
the second Provincial Governor of Maryland. During Green's term he
prevented ant attempt to disturb the peace of the colony. He issued
warrants prohibiting entry into the colony by the Protestants
adherents and monitored the Indian troubles. In 1647 he expanded the
militia due to the trouble with the Nanticoe and Wicomico Indians.
On January 17, 1648, Margaret Brent, perhaps the earliest advocate of
woman's suffrage, demanded to have a vote in the house. This request
was denied by the Court and Governor Green denied her the right to
Governor Green's administration lasted only 14 months and on August
6, 1648, Lord Baltimore replaced Green with the Virginian and
Protestant William Stone. In England the struggle between the King
and the Protestant dominated Parliament ended when King Charles I was
executed in 1649.. Parliament issued a decree making it treason to
acknowledge Charles the Prince of Wales, as King of England. At this
time Green was acting as deputy governor during Governor Stone's
visit to Virginia, and proclaimed Prince Charles as King of England
as did Governor Barkley of Virginia.
An Act Concerning Religion was passed by the General Assembly on
April 21, 1649, granting religious liberty to all Christians
proclaiming religious toleration and a Freedom of Consciences. Among
the fourteen signers of this act was Thomas Green.
Thomas remained a member of the council through 1649 and 1650 until
he was discharged from all his offices on August 6, 1650, for
Thomas and his family probably resided on "Green's Rest" before 1644
when "Green's Free
Father: Thomas Sr. GREEN b: in Bobbing Manor, Kent Co, England
Mother: Margaret WEBB b: in Kent County, England
Winifred SEYBOURN b: in England
- Francis GREEN b: 1649 in Green's Rest, Port Tobacco, Charles Co, MD