Name: Jonathan BOTKIN
Birth: 20 OCT 1823 in St. Marys Twp., Auglaize Co., OH 1 2 3
Death: 14 JUL 1874 4 5
Burial: Elm Grove Cemetery, St. Marys, OH 6
Census: 5 SEP 1850 Washington Twp., Auglaize Co., OH 7
Census: 1840 St. Marys Twp., Mercer Co., OH 8
Census: 14 JUN 1860 St. Marys Twp., Auglaize Co., OH 9
Census: 1 JUN 1870 St. Marys Twp., Auglaize Co., OH 10
Note: Others say Jonathan was the s/o of James b. 1787 and Mary McCray, but I haven't seen any evidence. William's will specifically mentioned his wife and two youngest sons, who were to pay of the rest of his children. Since nobody else in mentioned, it stands to reason that anyone getting an heir's share IS an heir. Also, it was "common knowledge" in the late 1800's that the first white child born in Auglaize Co. was Aaron Smith, who was born in 1824. I think Jonathan's descendants would have made some noise had he been born in Auglaize. I'll bet he was born Montgomery Co., but I can't prove it.|
Father: William BOTKIN b: ABT 1793 in Pendleton Co., VA
Mother: Malinda Elizabeth SHEPHERD b: ABT 1802 in OH or NJ or VA
Rose Ann Doute \ DOTY b: 14 NOV 1822 in Wayne Co., OH
2 MAR 1844
in Mercer Co., OH 11
- Note: A note from DDono45265@aol.com 3/26/99 says the Mercer Co. OH Marriages Books A and B 1823-1849 lists a marriage 3/2/1844 of Jonathan Botkin to Roseann (Mrs.) Doute. Could she have been married before?
- James BOTKIN b: 15 DEC 1844
- John "Wesley" BOTKIN b: 7 JAN 1846 in Moccasin Twp., Effingham Co., IL
- William BOTKIN b: 3 APR 1848 in IL
- Rebecca BOTKIN b: 5 AUG 1850 in St. Marys Twp., Auglaize Co., OH
- Robert S. BOTKIN b: 23 MAY 1852 in St. Marys Twp., Auglaize Co., OH
- Picket Doute BOTKIN b: 25 MAR 1854
- Jerusia BOTKIN b: 4 SEP 1856 in St. Marys Twp., Auglaize Co., OH
- Malinda "Millie" BOTKIN b: 28 SEP 1858 in St. Marys, Auglaize Co., OH
- Brierly "Gordon" BOTKIN b: 9 FEB 1861 in St. Marys, Auglaize Co., OH
- Roberta "Berda" BOTKIN b: 9 FEB 1861 in St. Marys, Auglaize Co., OH
- Rosa May BOTKIN b: 26 APR 1868 in OH
- Title: Jonathan Botkin tombstone
Text: Can't find photo, but map drawn by TCB Jul 1999.
- Title: Auglaize Co. Early Births 1830's-1869
Author: Aug. Chap. OGS
Page: p. 22
Text: Jonathan Botkin b. abt. 1823 SM.
- Title: Sally Sands email 4/12/99
Text: Jonathan is Sally's 2g.grandfather.
- Title: Auglaize Co. Obits, Death Mentions and Funeral Cards Vol. 1
Author: Aug. Chap. OGS
Note: I love this book.
Page: p. 35
- Title: Elm Grove Cemetery book, Bev's diagrams
Publication: March 2000
Note: Bev DePoy and Mrs. Finke did a number of drawings of family plots for me, from the Elm Grove Cemetery book.
Text: Section E Lot 25 has Jonathan Botkin buried 1874, Rose Botkin 1906, Gordon Botkin 1944, Elizabeth Botkin 1950, Etty May 1873 (infant) and someone buried with no name. (RATS!) Lot ownership transferred from Rose Botkin to Gordon Botkin.
- Title: Elm Grove map by Terry Bava
Note: One day of research in Elm Grove. A number of hand-written notes made July 1999.
Text: My diagram of Sec. A/E has Rose A. Botkin and Jonathan Botkin 1823-1874 inches from the A.J. Smith monument. Another Jonathan Botkin stone hard to read, maybe same guy: 1829-1873, Co. A 11th OVI Cav.
- Title: 1850 Auglaize Co. census
Publication: Ancestry.com images
Page: p. 277b
Text: #835 Washington Twp. Jonathan Botkin 25 farmer OH 400, Rosanna 25fOh, John W. 4 IL, William 3 IL.
- Title: 1840 Mercer Co., OH census
Publication: Ancestry.com online images
Text: St. Marys Twp., Mercer County: William Botkin household has 1 male age 40-50 (him), 1 female 30-40 (Malinda), 2 male and 1 female 15-20 (Jackson, Jonathan and Margaret Ann), 1 female 10-15 (Caroline), 2 male and 1 female 5-10 (Louis, William, Malinda Jane) and 1 male and 1 female under 5 (Shepherd and Ellen). Perfect match.
- Title: 1860 Auglaize Co., OH census
Author: Heritage Quest
Page: p. 405a
Text: 183/184 Jonathan Botkin, 36, farmer, 2000/400; Rosanna, 37; John, 14; William, 12; Rebecca, 9; Robert, 8; Picket, 6; Malinda, 1. Kids except Malinda attended school. There is a Balitha Miller in home of John F. and Ann Miller on previous page.
- Title: 1870 Auglaize Co., OH census
Publication: CD-ROM of National Archives Microfilm Roll M593-1172
Note: This census taker had particularly poor penmanship and I curse him and all his descendants.
Note: Scanned images of actual census
Page: p. 520b
Text: 192/196 John Botkin 47 farmer 4000/400 OH, Roseann 48 keeping house OH, William 22 Farmhand IL, Robert 18 farmhand OH, Pickett 16 (all the rest OH), Malinda 11, Brierly G. 9, Roberta 9, Rosa M. 2.
- Title: Mercer Co., OH Marriages Books A and B 1823-1849
Author: Mercer Co. Ch., OGS
Text: Marriage for Jonathan Botkin to Mrs Roseann DOUTE 03-02-1844 Mercer Co. Ohio. Emailed by Diane G. Her obit has the date Mar 5, 1843 for their marriage. Why is it MRS.? If she is, indeed, d/o Picket and Rebecca, did she marry a Doute cousin first?