_UPD: 26 MAY 2009 19:28:40 GMT-8
Name: Jane Grim
Given Name: Jane
Name: Jane Grimm
Given Name: Jane
RIN: MH:IF24032 1789/90
1880 census Richhill, Greene, Pennsylvania: (This may not be connected)Household:
Name Relation Marital Status Gender Race Age Birthplace Occupation Father's Birthplace Mother's Birthplace
Harvey D. GRIM Self M Male W 41 PA Farmer VA PA
Rashel A. GRIM Wife M Female W 39 PA Keeps House VA PA
Melissa J. GRIM Dau S Female W 17 PA Teacher PA PA
Mary A. GRIM Dau S Female W 15 PA PA PA
Sarah I. GRIM Dau S Female W 13 PA PA PA
William P. GRIM Son S Male W 10 PA PA PA
Morgan L. GRIM Son S Male W 7 PA PA PA
Westley P. GRIM Son S Male W 4 PA PA PA
Jane GRIM Mother W Female W 76 PA --- ---
Census Place Richhill, Greene, Pennsylvania
Descendants of JOHN GRIM
Generation No. 1
1. JOHN1 GRIM died Abt. 1832 in Pendleton Co., (W)VA. He married ELIZABETH HART November 11, 1789 in Augusta Co., VA, daughter of WILLIAM C. HART.
Notes for JOHN GRIM:
May have come down from Pennsylvania with the Brechts/Brights, since they were found in the same area in that state.
Chronicles of the Scotch-Irish Settlement of Virginia Vol 2, pp 270-279 by Lyman Chalkley show 9 Nov 1789 the marriage of John Grim and Elizabeth Hart, daughter of Wm. Hart, surety, Wm. Heart.
The 1810 census for Pendleton Co., VA shows the following for John Grim:
1 white male age 0-9
2 white males age 16-25
1 white male age 45 or over
1 white female age 10-15
1 white female age 16-25
1 white female age 26-44
1 white female age 45 or over
Children of JOHN GRIM and ELIZABETH HART are:
i. ELIZABETH2 GRIM, b. April 15, 1797; d. March 04, 1882.
Notes for ELIZABETH GRIM:
Buried McVaney Cemetery.
2. ii. MARY "POLLY" GRIM, b. Abt. 1793, Bath Co., VA; d. Abt. 1850, Harrison Co., WV.
3. iii. JOHN GRIM, b. Abt. August 1794, Augusta Co., VA; d. January 01, 1869, Braxton Co., WV.
iv. ?WILLIAM GRIM, b. Abt. 1798; d. Abt. 1830, Pendleton Co., (W)VA; m. SARAH PECK, May 12, 1819, Pendleton Co., (W)VA.
4. v. ANNA JEMIMA GRIM, b. 1811, Pendleton Co., (W)VA; d. 1913.
5. vi. ?JANE GRIM, b. Bet. 1789 - 1794.
Generation No. 2
2. MARY "POLLY"2 GRIM (JOHN1) was born Abt. 1793 in Bath Co., VA, and died Abt. 1850 in Harrison Co., WV. She married (1) JACOB C. BRIGHT June 23, 1810 in Augusta Co., VA, son of JOHANNES BRIGHT and SUSANNAH FULWIDER. She married (2) JOSEPH OSBURN August 20, 1842 in Harrison Co., VA.
Notes for MARY "POLLY" GRIM:
Marriage bond signed by John Bright. Minister was William King.
Notes for JACOB C. BRIGHT:
Jacob disappeared about 1831. The older children were bound out to different people in 1832 and 1833. Mary moved to Harrison County, VA and married widower Joseph Osborn there August 20, 1842. Many years later, the family discovered that Jacob had removed to Brown County, IN.
Children of MARY GRIM and JACOB BRIGHT are:
i. ELIZA JANE3 BRIGHT, b. Abt. 1812, Pendleton Co., (W)VA; m. JOHN LAMB, July 02, 1833, Pendleton Co., (W)VA.
ii. JOHN C. BRIGHT, b. Abt. 1815, Pendleton Co., (W)VA; d. Monterey, Pocahontas Co., WV; m. MARGARET MOYERS, August 30, 1838, Pendleton Co., (W)VA.
iii. ELIZABETH WILSON BRIGHT, b. Abt. 1817, Pendleton Co., (W)VA; m. JACOB HULL ARBOGAST, June 27, 1838, Pendleton Co., (W)VA.
6. iv. DAVID H. BRIGHT, b. April 21, 1819, Pendleton Co., (W)VA (now Highland Co., VA); d. November 08, 1897, Corley, Braxton Co., (W)VA.
v. WILLIAM BRIGHT, b. September 04, 1820, Pendleton Co., (W)VA; m. SUSAN CATHERINE MILLER, June 24, 1841, Pendleton Co., (W)VA.
Notes for WILLIAM BRIGHT:
William Bright was bonded to Frederick Keister in 1832 in Pendleton Co., WV.
7. vi. MATTHEW BRIGHT, b. June 01, 1823, Pendleton Co., (W)VA; d. January 30, 1897, Braxton Co., WV.
vii. SAMUEL BRIGHT, b. Abt. 1826, Pendleton Co., (W)VA; d. May 01, 1903; m. CASSA ANN BEAN, September 22, 1845, Harrison Co., WV.
8. viii. AZARIAH BRIGHT, b. Abt. 1828, Pendleton Co., (W)VA; d. September 25, 1903, Fairmont, Marion Co., WV.
ix. AMOS BRIGHT, b. Abt. 1830, Pendleton Co., WV; d. August 28, 1852, Lewis Co., WV.
3. JOHN2 GRIM (JOHN1) was born Abt. August 1794 in Augusta Co., VA, and died January 01, 1869 in Braxton Co., WV. He married ELIZABETH (BETSY) HARPER 1840 in Randolph Co., (W)Va, daughter of PETER HARPER and SUSANNA SIMMONS.
Notes for JOHN GRIM:
Pendleton County Land Patent shows John Grim with 15 acres on Jackson River in 1820 (Ref 5:179)
Notes for ELIZABETH (BETSY) HARPER:
Elizabeth and her sister, Catherine, may have had a double wedding since they both married the same year, 1840, in Randolph Co., (W)VA. They lived in Mingo Flats in that county prior to moving to Lewis County down around Walkerville, before moving to Braxton County.
Elizabeth was living with her son, William Winfield Grim, during the 1900 census of Braxton Co., WV. According to this census, she bore seven children, three of whom were still living at time of census.
Children of JOHN GRIM and ELIZABETH HARPER are:
i. JOHN W.3 GRIMM, b. 1843, Randolph Co., (W)VA; d. October 01, 1866, Braxton Co., WV.
9. ii. MAHALA EVALINE GRIMM, b. 1844; d. December 30, 1868.
10. iii. ISON DEHAS (JOE) GRIMM, b. March 10, 1854, Holly, Braxton Co., WV; d. March 15, 1931, Braxton Co., WV.
11. iv. WILLIAM WINFIELD GRIMM, b. February 24, 1855, Big Run, Lewis Co., WV; d. June 24, 1934, Braxton County, WV.
v. SARAH E. GRIMM, b. August 26, 1859, Lewis County, WV; m. JOHN B. CRAWFORD, October 31, 1875, Braxton Co., WV.
4. ANNA JEMIMA2 GRIM (JOHN1) was born 1811 in Pendleton Co., (W)VA, and died 1913. She married VALENTINE SIMMONS March 15, 1840 in Pendleton Co., (W)VA, son of HENRY SIMMONS and CATHERINE SNYDER.
Notes for ANNA JEMIMA GRIM:
Anna Jemima Grim was listed as daughter of John Grim and Elizabeth Hart in a family history book written by Rose Jewell Channell Phillips in 1983. Rose, who lived in Michigan, passed away in 1995 at the age of 94. (Source: Barbara Brown, who was unsure how Rose got her information.)
Notes for VALENTINE SIMMONS:
Occupation: Valentine was a stone mason and school teacher. He is buried in Simmons Cemetery, Valley Head, Randolph Co., WV.
Children of ANNA GRIM and VALENTINE SIMMONS are:
12. i. CHESLEY3 SIMMONS, b. July 18, 1840, Pendleton Co., (W)VA; d. February 18, 1925, Randolph Co., WV.
13. ii. DAVID H. SIMMONS, b. 1842; d. February 04, 1938, Randolph Co., WV.
14. iii. OPHELIA ANN SIMMONS, b. 1843; d. 1921.
iv. HARMON S. SIMMONS, b. 1845; m. MATTIE (?) SIMMONS.
v. WILLIAM T. SIMMONS, b. October 1847; m. ELLEN SIMMONS, April 18, 1870.
vi. JOSEPH W. SIMMONS, b. 1849; m. MARGARET ELLEN SIMMONS, April 18, 1870.
vii. PHOEBE SIMMONS, b. 1850.
15. viii. MARY VIRGINIA SIMMONS, b. 1853; d. Bet. 1882 - 1883.
ix. JOHN W. SIMMONS, b. September 16, 1853; m. MARGARET J. (?) SIMMONS.
x. JEFFERSON B. SIMMONS, b. 1855; d. October 22, 1879, Randolph Co., WV from gunshot wound..
xi. NAOMI SIMMONS, b. 1857.
xii. SOPHIA A. SIMMONS, b. September 1859; d. April 27, 1903; m. GEORGE WASHINGTON ARBOGAST.
16. xiii. MADORA ELLEN SIMMONS, b. June 10, 1861, Randolph Co., WV; d. January 02, 1901, Randolph Co., WV.
5. ?JANE2 GRIM (JOHN1) was born Bet. 1789 - 1794. She married WILLIAM MATHENEY.
Child of ?JANE GRIM and WILLIAM MATHENEY is:
17. i. LAURA A.3 MATHENEY, b. January 24, 1829
THESE MAY NOT BE THE SAME PEOPLE
Born: Abt. 1803 Place: <, Barbour, Wv>
Born: Abt. 1807 Place: <, Barbour, Wv>
1. Sex Name
F Laura Ann MATHENY
Born: 24 Jan 1829 Place: <, Barbour, Wv>
Died: Nov 1907 Place
Father: John Grim b: 1760 to 1770 in Pendleton Co. WV now VA or York Co., PA
Mother: Elizabeth Hart b: ABT 1773 in Augusta Co., VA or WV
William Matheney b: 1787 in Alleghany, Virginia or Mason, Virginia maybe
- Daniel R. McTheney b: 1827/28 in Bath Co., VA or Rockingham Co., VA
- Laura Ann Matheney b: 24 JAN 1829 in Barbour, Wyoming