Name: Abraham (Berl) Bernard Silverstein
Birth: 05 Nov 1858 in Kherson, Ukraine
Death: in 1014 E 179th Street, Bronx
Mt. Zion Cemetery states that Berl/Abraham was buried with the name Abraham. The death certificate is apparently the only place the name "Bernard" appears.
of cancer 13 May 1925
Burial: Mt. Zion Cemetery Maspeth, New York Path 14R Gate 2 Mutual Kiev
Change Date: 09 JAN 2014 at 08:39:35
Immigration: 27 Apr 1907 Ellis Island
Norman Davidow is paying for perpetual care of the grave.
Immigrated as "Berl Silberstein",
Port of departure: Glasgow
Ship: Ethiopia Date: 13 Apr 1907
Destination: (half) sister (in-law), Mrs. (Rosa Silberstein) Frooks at 225 Chrystie St. New York
Entry shows Berl as 5'8". Grey hair, green eyes, and having some sort of hernia
They are buried at the Kiev Lodge so that is good evidence they were from Kiev. Kracilov and Vinitsia are east of Kiev, within a day's ride. So it is probably safe to say Kiev rather than Kherson
NARA National Archives did a search 11 Jul 2002 and no immigration records were found for anyone in the family.
Residence: Kiev and Odessa, Russia
Occupation: Fish packing business, provided food for the Tsar's court Kherson, Ukraine
Occupation: Family said he had a cloak factory later on, but likely a corset factory and store. Listed in Upington's 1909-1910 Brooklyn director: Abraham Silverstein corsets on 37 Graham and 51 Varick St New York
Occupation: Bought real estate New York
Residence: 1914 151 2nd Ave. Manhattan
Note: • Kherson
Name: Avraham Dov bar Yosef 1
Census: 21 Apr 1910 Manhattan
Note: • Family photo 1898
Note: • Naturalization petition
Note: • 1910 census
Note: • Ship's manifest
Note: • Death certificate
Note: GENETIC: yDNA is G1. Around 10% of Ashkenazi Jewish males have haplogroup G. Supplied by great-grandson William Silverstein
Shows up in the Ancestry.com New York County Supreme Court Naturalization Petition Index 1907-24.
Naturalization on December 21, 1914
Sold a house and business in Brooklyn to live in an apartment in Bronx.
Was very ill at the end, never got out of bed, drank a lot of coffee.
Mother: Freidel "Freda" Bornstein b: abt 1832 in Winnick (Vinnytsia), Ukraine
Father: Joseph Silverstein b: in Kiev?
Shaindel "Sophie" Cypress b: abt 12 Mar 1875 in Nikolayev, Ukraine
- Change Date:
17 AUG 2005
- Note: Reportedly had 16 children, 13 of which survived and 12 who immigrated. Legend has it there was a family bible listing the history but it has not appeared.
- Celia (Shira) Silverstein b: 16 May 1906 in Nikolaev, Ukraine
- Adolf (Isadore) Silverstein b: 01 May 1900 in Nikolaev, Ukraine
- David Silver b: 16 Oct 1898 in Nikolaev, Ukraine
- Grace (Grischa) Silverstein b: 16 Apr 1892 in Nikolaev, Ukraine
- Harry G. (Wolf) Silverstein b: 15 Apr 1897 in Nikolaev, Ukraine
- William (Buma) Silverstein b: Bet 13 Apr 1896 in Nikolaev, Ukraine
- Aaron (Aron) Dov? Silverstein b: bef 21 Apr 1890 in Nikolaev, Ukraine
- Samuel (Schmiel) Silverstein b: 01 Oct 1886 in Nikolaev, Ukraine
- Joseph Silverstein b: 19 Dec 1884 in Nikolaev-Kherson, Ukraine
- Dora Silverstein b: 20 Aug 1882 in Nikolaev, Ukraine
- Mary "Manya" Silverstein b: 25 Jan 1881 in Russia
- Title: Gravestone
Date: 07 JUL 2008