Name: James Denman 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14
Birth: BET 1770 AND 1780 in Franklin County, Georgia
Death: AFT 29 MAY 1841 in Amite County, MS|
Father: William Denman b: 1754
Mother: Sarah McLaughlin b: ABT 1755
Hannah Prestridge b: ABT 1782 in Pitsylvania County, Virigina
- Lucy Denman b: 1814 in Amite County, MS
- Prestridge Denman b: 1802 in Amite County, Mississippi
- Amelia Denman b: 3 APR 1804 in Amite County, Mississippi
- William Denman b: 23 DEC 1807 in Georgia
- Sarah Denman b: 1813 in Amite County, Mississippi
- Elizabeth Denman b: DEC 1816 in Amite County, Mississippi
- Mary Denman b: 1 FEB 1819 in Amite County, Mississippi
- Hannah Ritta Denman b: 1820 in Amite County, Mississippi
- Golden Denman b: ABT 1805 in Amite County, Mississippi
Elizabeth Burris b: ABT 1800
- Martha Ann Denman b: BET 1825 AND 1830 in Amite County, Mississippi
- Samuel James Denman b: BET 1825 AND 1830 in Amite County, Mississippi
- Title: Amite County Mississippi 1699-1865 compiled by Albert Casey and others; DAR library
Text: James Denman is listed in Inhabitants of Mississippi in 1816 as transcribed from the original rolls on file in the Department of Archives and History; Centenary Volume, 1917 pp. 66-152.
- Title: Pike County Library, Doris Varnado Collection
Text: Denman packet DG16
In 1822, there was a James Denman who owned land 17 miles north of Louisiana state line in Amite County (seven miles west of Pike County line). The 1810 Amite County census shows James Denman with two sons, and three daughters. The Eastfork Baptist Church of Amite County, constituted Aug 18, 1810, has Hannah Denman as a member. John Prestridge and Ally Prestigs are also listed.
The information on John Prestridges children was given to Doris Varnado by Laura J. Lusk in 1923. Laura Lusk was 79 years old in 1923.
- Title: Luke Conerly
Text: "Pike County First Families and Civil War Verterans" mentions J. Denman who settled on Clear Creek and Bogue Chitto River.
- Title: 1830 Amite County, MS census
Text: James Denman and large family.
- Title: 1840 Amite County, Mississippi census
Text: 1840 Amite County, Mississippi census
Roll 213; page 53, Line 24
James Denman is listed as head of household
Males 10-15 born 1825-1830 one Samuel J. Denman
Males 60-70 born 1770-1780 one James Denman
Females 10-15 born 1825-1830 oneMartha Denman
Females 40-50 born 1790-1800 one Second wife elizabeth Burris
- Title: Amite County Will Book 1
Text: James Denman Aug 10, 1838 pp 203-206
Abstract of Will
1. Elizabeth Denman- wife
2. Martha Ann Denman, minor daughter
3. Samuel James Denamn, minor son
Other children NOT named in will
Witnesses: T. J. Spurlock and Baxter McMorris
Executors: Elizabeth Denman, Thomas Denman (borther)
In Open Court, 24 Feb 1841
- James Deman land grant Amite county, Mississippi in 1838.
- Title: Family Maps of Amite County Mississipppi by Gregory A. Boyd
Text: Township 3 N
Range 6 E
Map Group 11
Thomas Marsalis and James Denman own land in same section, with only Samuel Burris between them.
James Denman married Elizabeth Burris after his first wife, Hannah Prestridge died.
- Title: Mississippi Department of Archives and History
Text: Amite0000052 James Denman v. Edward Cleveland 1820Box 17720
- Title: Will of James Denman
Text: signed codicil to will on 29 May 1841
only addresses two minor children. does not name all his children.
- Name: James Denman
Census Date: 1820
- Name: Jas Denman
Gender: M (Male)
Locality: Mississippi Territory
Residence Year: 1810
Household Remarks: Name on petition to Congress, 27 Dec 1811, by inhabitants of the territory seeking to be combined with West Florida and made into a new state.
Source Citation: Document: Territorial Papers of the US; ; Volume Number: Vol 6; Page Number: 254; Family Number: 51.
- Name: Jas Denman
Principal Meridian: Washington Meridian (West of Pearl River)
- Title: Washington County Bible Records
Text: Source: Bible Records: Copied and compiled by: Zuma F. Magee,
Franklinton, LA., and Thelma S. Bateman, Baton Rouge, LA. 1964,
pages 7 and 8.
Original Owner: Murray and Ruby Breland.
Present Owner: Mrs. Murray A. Breland, Mt. Hermon, La.
Copied: Dec. 26, 1962 by Mrs. R. A. Magee, Franklinton, La.
"THE HOLY BIBLE" - Complete and How to Understand It.
Printed by J. A. Wilmore & Co., 43 & 45 Centre St. - Successors
to A. J. Johnson and Co., 11 Treat Jones St., N. Y. - MDCCCXC.