Name: William Stone GLENN
Given Name: William Stone
Nickname: Captain Billy Glenn
Birth: 14 Mar 1815 in near Harrisburg, Sevier, Tennessee, United States 1
Death: 7 May 1900 in Vale, Malheur, Oregon, United States
Burial: 1900 Old Pioneer Cemetery, Vale, Malheur, Oregon, United States
["Home to Glory" by Mary Eva FRENCH Davis, Page 43]
Change Date: 14 Feb 2008 at 21:40:16
William moved to Crawford County, Indiana (near Wickliffe) when he was one year old. Here he grew into manhood. William and Maria moved to Jefferson County, Iowa (near Fairfield) in 1838. In 1843, they moved to Marion County, Iowa.
In 1852, he made a trip to California, being Captain of a Wagon Train, and from then on he was known as Captain Billy Glenn. The following year he returned to Iowa. In 1859, he went to Denver with four wagon loads of miners and returned to Council Bluffs, Iowa, with one ounce of Gold dust, the first taken to that place from Denver. The following spring he returned to Denver with four wagon loads of provisions and took the goods to Gregory Landing -- 40 miles west of Denver. In 1861, he went to Breckenridge, Colorado, where he engaged in the merchandise business.
Later in the same year, he started for the State of Oregon and settled in Union County near Summerville. In 1863, he freighted from Umatilla Landing to Idaho City and continued in that business until 1865. In 1865, he was a Juror in the first Court held west of the Dalles. In 1870 he came to Glennville, Oregon, and when Vale was founded, he moved there. He served two terms as Commissioner of Baker County from 1876 to 1880.
William was a Pioneer of Iowa and Oregon. The town of Pleasantville, Marion, Iowa was surveyed by Sanford Doud August 1, 1849. Land upon which it now stands was owned by William S. Glenn.
FAMILYSEARCH.ORG Household Record 1880 United States Census
Name Relation Marital Status Gender Race Age Birthplace Occupation Father's Birthplace Mother's Birthplace
William GLENN; Self; M; Male; W; 65; TN; Merchant; SC; SC
Nancy C. GLENN; Wife; M; Female; W; 47; OH; Keeping House; MA; NY
William R. GLENN; Son; S; Male; W; 23; IA; At Home; TN; OH
Arthur W. GLENN; Son; S; Male; W; 21; IA; At Home; TN; OH
Charles W. GLENN; Son; S; Male; W; 18; IA; At Home; TN; OH
Luella A. GLENN; Dau; S; Female; W; 16; OR; At Home; TN; OH
Franklin B. GLENN; Son; S; Male; W; 13; OR; At Home; TN; OH
Walter M. GLENN; Son; S; Male; W; 10; OR; At Home; TN; OH
Ettie J. GLENN; Dau; S; Female; W; 7; OR; TN; OH
Source Information: Census Place Stone, Baker, Oregon
Family History Library Film 1255080; NA Film Number T9-1080; Page Number 39A
["Home to Glory" by Mary Eva FRENCH Davis, Page 44]
From His Obituary:
"No man in Malheur County had more friends than William S. Glenn. He gave away a fortune assisting the needy and at all times his purse was open to the deserving. In personal life he had qualities that had given him a high and well deserved reputation. He was a citizen of the highest character and all in this county and wherever he was known will ever mourn his death."
The funeral was held from the Court House with Rev. P.E. Phelps delivering an eloquent eulogy. (The new Court House at Vale was dedicated February 13, 1960.)
Father: James GLENN III b: 1774 in Stanley Co., North Carolina, United States
Mother: Susan LAND b: 1780 in Chester Co., South Carolina, United States
Maria YATES b: ABT 1814 in Indiana, United States
22 May 1835
in Crawford Co., Indiana, United States 3
Ancestry.com Indiana Marriages
Glenn, William married Yates, Maria on 22 May 1835 in Crawford County, Indiana
To this union, three children were born: Sarah Elizabeth, Mary Ann and Tolbert.
- Sarah Ann GLENN b: 3 Aug 1836 in Jefferson Co., Iowa, United States or Harrison Co., Indiana, United States
- Mary Ann GLENN b: 27 Jan 1840 in Jefferson Co., Iowa, United States
- Tolbert T. GLENN b: 22 Jun 1844 in Pleasantville, Marion, Iowa, United States
Nancy Cordelia BECKWITH b: 24 Nov 1831 in Little Mountain, Lake, Ohio, United States
19 Oct 1851
in Marion Co., Iowa, United States 4
ANCESTRY.COM Iowa Marriages
GLENN, WILLIAM; Spouse: BECKWITH, NANCY C.
Marriage Date: 19 Oct 1851; County: Marion State: IA
To this union, ten children were born: Amanda, Emma, Riley, Arthur, Charles, Luella, Frank, Walter, Etta and Ida.
- Amanda M. GLENN b: 14 Sep 1852/1853 in Pleasantville, Marion, Iowa, United States
- Emma Alice GLENN b: 23 Sep 1854 in Pleasantville, Marion, Iowa, United States
- William Riley GLENN b: 7 Feb 1856 in Pleasantville, Marion, Iowa, United States
- Arthur Wellington GLENN b: 8 Apr 1859 in Pleasantville, Marion, Iowa, United States
- Charles W. GLENN b: 1 Sep 1861 in Pleasantville, Marion, Iowa, United States
- Luella A. GLENN b: 10 Apr 1864 in Summerville, Union, Oregon, United States
- Franklin Byrd GLENN b: 19 May 1867 in Summerville, Union, Oregon, United States
- Walter M. GLENN b: 21 Jan/Jun 1869 in Summerville, Union, Oregon, United States
- Etta Josephine GLENN b: 21 Jan 1873 in Malheur City, Malheur, Oregon, United States
- Ida GLENN b: 7 Jan 1876 in Willowcreek, Malheur, Oregon, United States
- Title: Cemetery Records
Note: only date verified
- Title: Home to Glory
Author: Mary Eva FRENCH Davis
Publication: The Life of Jane GLENN French and the Genealogy of the Glenn Family
Page: Page 43
- Title: Marriage Certificate
- Title: Marriage Certificate