Name: Elsie SHUDER
Birth: 18 Aug 1886 in Tippecanoe Twp., Kosciusko Co., IN
Death: 03 Feb 1926 in Tippecanoe Twp., Kosciusko Co., IN
Burial: North Webster Cemetery, Kosciusko Co., IN
Newspaper Article 23 Aug 1906 Kosciusko Co., IN
The Northern Indianian.
Obituary 03 Feb 1926 Kosciusko Co., IN
Mrs. Elsie Wiseman and baby are staying with her mother, Mrs. Nancy Shuder.
Warsaw Times Union.
Mrs. Charles Wiseman, 38, of Barbee Lake, 9 miles northeast of Warsaw burned to death this morning. Her 14 year old son dragged the charred and almost lifeless body of his mother from the flame and gas filled country farm home. She lived but three hours.
Mrs. Wiseman got up at 6 o'clock and while her husband was in bed upstairs and her six children were asleep, attempted to kindle a fire in a stove using kerosene oil can. The can exploded, scattering flaming oil throughout the home, and filling it with gas, oil, and smoke fumes. When the husband staggered to her rescue through blinding flames and smoke he was momentarily overcome. Meanwhile his wife lay in the midst of the burning oil, helpless. The six children, some of them tender years, were miraculously saved. When one of them broke open a window, the father, overcome by smoke, was revived and continued the rescue work of his children. Meanwhile, the older son, aged but 14, had reached the body of his mother and dragged her out of the home, which was almost totally destroyed.
Flesh on the mother's hands and feet was charred and fell away. The scene of the terrible tragedy was a pretty little quiet contented country home, the second house west of the Dunham school. On the next farm lives the mother of the dead woman, Mrs. Isaac Shuder. Charles Wiseman owns an eight-acre tract on which he lived and does a truck farming business. The fire occurred at about 6 o'clock. At 9 o'clock the mother expired.
Only yesterday, Mrs. Belle Evans, of Warsaw, had a narrow escape from an identical explosion. She suffered painful burns at her home in Warsaw.
[MyNote: The oldest son was Perry, and he was 19 years old, not 14, as stated in the above article.]
Father: Isaac SHUDER b: 20 Apr 1846 in near Dayton, Montgomery Co., OH
Mother: Nancy Jane LAVERING b: 03 Dec 1854 in Jackson Twp., Elkhart Co., IN
Charles Wilson WISEMAN b: 20 Sep 1886 in Tippecanoe Twp., Kosciusko Co., IN
01 Mar 1906
in Kosciusko Co., IN
- Perry Martin Comfort WISEMAN b: 03 Aug 1906 in Tippecanoe Twp., Kosciusko Co., IN
- Eva Leah WISEMAN b: 04 Feb 1908 in Tippecanoe Twp., Kosciusko Co., IN
- Leslie Wilson "Dick" WISEMAN b: 12 Sep 1910 in Tippecanoe Twp., Kosciusko Co., IN
- Bessie Isabella WISEMAN b: 28 Feb 1913 in Tippecanoe Twp., Kosciusko Co., IN
- Jessie Dell WISEMAN b: 04 Jun 1914 in Tippecanoe Twp., Kosciusko Co., IN
- Fern Louise WISEMAN b: 08 Nov 1915 in Tippecanoe Twp., Kosciusko Co., IN
- Emery Emerson WISEMAN b: 01 Aug 1922 in Tippecanoe Twp., Kosciusko Co., IN
- Jack William WISEMAN b: 29 Jan 1924 in Tippecanoe Twp., Kosciusko Co., IN