Reference Number: 28448
Generation No. 3
9. Walker3 Caviness (Elizabeth2 Carr, Joseph1 ) was born Abt. 1784 in Mecklenburg Co., NC, and died Aft. 1860 in Morgan Co., IN. He married Sarah Raines Abt. 1808 in Randolph Co., NC, daughter of Robert Raines and Hannah [Unknown]. She was born 1789 in NC, and died Aft. 1850 in Morgan Co., IN.
Notes for Sarah Raines:
Sarah Craven nee Raines
Children of Walker Caviness and Sarah Raines are:
+ 45 i. Urban Cooper4 Caviness, born 10 May 1810 in Randolph Co., NC; died Abt. 1899 in Douglas Co., KS.
+ 46 ii. Frederick Pierce Caviness, born Abt. 1812 in prob. KY; died Abt. 1899 in prob. Lynn Co., OR.
+ 47 iii. William Walker Cavaness, born 08 Jun 1814 in Randolph Co., NC; died 03 Feb 1898 in Gosport, Owen, IN.
+ 48 iv. Robert Raines Caviness, born Abt. 1817 in Randolph Co., NC.
49 v. [Daughter] Caviness, born Abt. 1819.
50 vi. Lilley Ann Caviness, born 1821 in Randolph Co., NC. She married John Hamilton Phillips.
Notes for Lilley Ann Caviness:
or Laillia Caveness
+ 51 vii. Walker Wesley Cavaness, born 18 Nov 1823 in Randolph Co., NC; died 21 Dec 1906 in Morgan Co., IN.
+ 52 viii. James E. Cavaness, born 02 Aug 1825 in Randolph Co., NC; died 1849 in Douglas Co., KS.
11. Rebecca3 Caviness (Elizabeth2 Carr, Joseph1 ) was born Abt. 1790 in Mecklenburg Co., VA, and died in Morgan Co., IN. She married William Brewer Abt. 1812. He was born Abt. 1791 in Culpeper Co., VA, and died in Morgan Co., IN.
Notes for Rebecca Caviness:
or Sarah Elizabeth Caviness
Child of Rebecca Caviness and William Brewer is:
+ 53 i. John Cooper4 Brewer, born Abt. 1817 in Randolph Co., NC.
12. William3 Caviness (Sarah2 Carr, Joseph1 ) was born Abt. 1781 in Mecklenburg Co., VA, and died 1847 in Caviness, Lamar, TX. He married Mary "Polly" Vestal Abt. 1810, daughter of William Vestal and Sarah Vestal. She was born Abt. 1785 in Chatham Co., NC, and died 08 Jan 1856 in Surry Co., NC.
Children of William Caviness and Mary Vestal are:
+ 54 i. John4 Caviness, born 30 Oct 1814 in Chatham Co., NC; died 1892 in Henry Co., IA.
55 ii. Susannah Caviness, born 1816 in Chatham Co., NC; died Aft. 1880 in Lamar Co., TX.
+ 56 iii. Alfred Caviness, born 17 Apr 1818 in Chatham Co., NC; died 24 Nov 1893 in Fairfield, IA.
57 iv. William Vestal Caviness, born 1820 in Chatham Co., NC; died Aft. 1851.
58 v. Sarah Chamness Caviness, born 1822 in Chatham Co., NC; died 19 Mar 1896 in Lamar Co., TX.
+ 59 vi. David Caviness, born 1825 in Chatham Co., NC; died Bef. 1870 in Lamar Co., TX.
+ 60 vii. Jesse V. Caviness, born 12 Nov 1827 in Chatham Co., NC; died 31 Jan 1910 in Lamar Co., TX.
14. Polly3 Caviness (Sarah2 Carr, Joseph1 ) was born Abt. 1783 in Mecklenburg Co., VA, and died Aft. 1850 in poss. Chatham Co., NC. She married [Unknown] Thornberry Abt. 1805.
Notes for Polly Caviness:
Three daughters, born between 1806 and 181 in Chatham Co., NC - born to Thornberry, but may have been raised as Caviness.
Child of Polly Caviness and [Unknown] Thornberry is:
+ 61 i. Kirby Thornberry4 Caviness, born 10 May 1814 in Chatham Co., NC; died 16 May 1883 in Pleasant Plains, IA.
15. Col. Benjamin Sanders3 Caviness (Sarah2 Carr, Joseph1 ) was born 25 Oct 1788 in Mecklenburg Co., VA, and died 15 Oct 1869 in Randolph Co., NC. He married (1) Delilah [Unknown] Bef. 1810 in Randolph Co., NC. She was born 1783, and died 1832 in Randolph Co., NC. He married (2) Nancy Brady 26 Mar 1833. She was born 02 Mar 1782, and died 15 Oct 1848. He married (3) Hannah Macon 18 Jul 1849. She was born 1808, and died 01 Jan 1873.
Notes for Col. Benjamin Sanders Caviness:
or Col. Benjamin Saunders Caviness
Notes for Delilah [Unknown]:
probably a Quaker named Delilah Allred
Children of Benjamin Caviness and Delilah [Unknown] are:
+ 62 i. Alfred4 Caviness, born 04 Jan 1816 in Randolph Co., NC; died 07 Mar 1902 in Chatham Co., NC.
+ 63 ii. Arnold Edward Caviness, born 28 Mar 1819 in Randolph Co., NC; died 14 Mar 1900 in Moore Co., NC.
+ 64 iii. Isaac Fields Caviness, born 1821 in Randolph Co., NC; died 1847 in Coleridge, Chatham, NC.
+ 65 iv. Benjamin Sanders Caviness, Jr., born 1825 in Randolph Co., NC; died 1895 in Bennett, Chatham, NC.
+ 66 v. Mary M. Caviness, born 07 May 1827 in Randolph Co., NC; died 21 Feb 1895 in Carter's Mill, NC.
+ 67 vi. John Robert Caviness, born 1829 in Randolph Co., NC; died 1905 in Coleridge, Chatham, NC.
16. Elizabeth3 Caviness (Sarah2 Carr, Joseph1 ) was born 09 Jan 1790 in Mecklenburg Co., VA, and died 28 Aug 1865 in New Garden Twp., Wayne, IN. She married James Madison Warren 23 Feb 1810 in Randolph Co., NC. He was born 16 Nov 1787 in Randolph Co., NC, and died 27 Jun 1876 in New Garden Twp., Wayne, IN.
Notes for James Madison Warren:
Probably the son of Joseph Warren and the grandson of William Warren.
Children of Elizabeth Caviness and James Warren are:
68 i. William4 Warren, born 03 Mar 1811 in Randolph Co., NC.
69 ii. John Riley Warren, born 12 Apr 1812.
70 iii. Adolphus Warren, born Abt. 1815.
71 iv. Mary Warren, born Abt. 1821.
72 v. Susannah Warren, born Aft. 1820 in IN.
73 vi. Thomas Warren, born Abt. 1825.
74 vii. Hepsibah Warren, born Aft. 1825.
75 viii. David Warren, born Abt. 1830.
76 ix. Martin Warren, born Abt. 1832 in OH.
77 x. Elizabeth Warren, born 1834 in Wayne Co., IN.
19. William3 Carr (Robert2 , Joseph1 ) was born 01 Jun 1780 in Randolph Co., NC, and died Oct 1823 in Anson Co., NC. He married (1) Judith Smith. He married (2) Frances 'Fanny' Lanier 1804 in Prob. Anson Co., NC, daughter of Burwell Lanier and Elizabeth Hill. She was born 1778 in Anson Co., NC, and died Aft. Jul 1814 in Near Wadesboro, Anson, NC.
Notes for William Carr:
Robert Carr had a son, William Carr, born 1780. It is not confirmed that this is the same man, born 1780 and naming a son William Austin Carr (identical to the name of Robert's brother).
William Carr was the buyer of land in Anson Co., NC on a deed from Isaac Sullivant July 12, 1814, Deed Book R pg. 277, Gould's Fork, part of estate left by B. Lanier.
Children of William Carr and Frances Lanier are:
+ 78 i. Burwell Lanier4 Carr, born 1805 in NC; died 21 May 1879 in Minden, LA.
+ 79 ii. Martha Lanier Carr, born 11 Feb 1808; died 06 Jan 1886.
+ 80 iii. Elizabeth Carr, born 1809 in Anson Co., NC.
81 iv. Benjamin Carr, born 1810 in NC.
+ 82 v. William Austin Carr, born 1814 in Anson Co., NC; died 1897 in LA.
20. Sarah3 Carr (Robert2 , Joseph1 ) was born 27 Jun 1782 in Randolph Co., NC. She married William H. Parker Abt. 1804.
Notes for Sarah Carr:
22 Nov 1804 WILLIAM PARKER rec'd from JOSEPH CARR a girl Milly that he gave his grandaughter SARAH CARR, my now wife. signed WILLIAM PARKER. witt. B. Hubert, Hubert Reynolds. Hancock Co, Ga DB G 130
Children of Sarah Carr and William Parker are:
+ 83 i. Nancy4 Parker, born 1806 in Hancock Co., GA; died in Heard Co., GA.
84 ii. William C. Parker.
25. Temperance3 Carr (Robert2 , Joseph1 ) was born 10 Jul 1790 in Randolph Co., NC, and died Abt. 1871. She married John Singer 26 Oct 1818 in Hancock Co., GA.
Notes for John Singer:
Jacob Ulrich Singer
Child of Temperance Carr and John Singer is:
+ 85 i. Susan4 Singer.
28. Jesse W.3 Carr (Robert2 , Joseph1 ) was born 27 Jun 1796 in Hancock Co., GA, and died 21 Jun 1870 in Carrs Station, Hancock, GA. He married Lucy Butts 25 Jun 1822 in Hancock Co., GA, daughter of Azariah Butts and Elizabeth Doles. She was born 10 Jun 1792 in Baldwin Co., GA, and died 20 Mar 1872 in Carrs Station, Hancock, GA.
Notes for Jesse W. Carr:
9 Jan 1827 ROBERT CARR made over entire estate to JESSE CARR his son and "he shall support and maintain and keep comfortable me and my wife for our natural lives". Hancock Co, GA DB P
Children of Jesse Carr and Lucy Butts are:
+ 86 i. Newton J.4 Carr, born 26 Jun 1822 in Hancock Co., GA; died 20 Nov 1892.
+ 87 ii. Thaddeus Carr, born 24 Jul 1824 in Hancock Co., GA; died 27 Feb 1884.
+ 88 iii. Martha Carr, born 12 Sep 1827 in Hancock Co., GA.
89 iv. Elizabeth Carr, born 09 Oct 1829 in Hancock Co., GA. She married Josiah Collins 23 Sep 1861.
90 v. Jane Carr, born 28 Apr 1831 in Hancock Co., GA. She married Andrew J. Gordy 15 Dec 1847.
+ 91 vi. Tabitha Carr, born 08 Jul 1833 in Carrs Station, Hancock, GA; died Abt. 1915 in Hancock Co., GA.
92 vii. William M. Carr, born 27 Feb 1837 in Hancock Co., GA.
93 viii. Mary Carr, born 16 Nov 1839 in Hancock Co., GA.
94 ix. Jesssie D. Carr, born 14 May 1842 in Hancock Co., GA; died 28 Oct 1907. He married Amanda Darcus Ann Roberson 21 Dec 1858; born 28 Mar 1841; died 11 May 1920 in Hancock Co., GA.
30. Henry Alexander3 Carr (William Austin2 , Joseph1 ) was born 20 May 1783 in poss. Randolph Co., NC, and died 08 Oct 1842 in Jackson, Hinds, MS. He married Mary Downs 1799 in GA, daughter of [Unknown] Downs. She was born 26 Oct 1784 in poss. MD, and died 09 Oct 1851 in Water Valley, Yalobusha, MS.
Notes for Henry Alexander Carr:
Henry is a child of the William A. Carr family of Randolph Co., NC. Several of William's children migrated to Georgia, to Jones County, early in the 1800's. Fort Hawkins was built in 1806 in Baldwin County, and was in Jones County until Bibb County was created some years later. Today, the Fort is at a point near the county line and adjacent to the Ocmulgee National Monument.
He was a private and rose to Lieutenant Col. in a Georgia regiment and served to the end of the war. He was Quartermaster General under General Andrew Jackson at the Battle of New Orleans. (I have not found the source for this information, but he was mentioned as Capt. Henry Carr in the estate sale of Benjamin Hawkins in 1816). Was a Captain in a Georgia Co. and served in the Creek War, having been promoted to Captain by Gen. Andrew Jackson for gallant conduct on the battlefield between the Regular Army and the Indians near Macon, GA.
A group of soldiers were organized in October, 1814 at Fort Hawkins and joined with Andrew Jackson in Mobile.
Jones Co., Georgia was formed by an act of the Legislature December 10, 1807 from Baldwin County which was formed May 11, 1803. Jones County was laid out in 1807; part added from Putnam in 1810; a five mile slice given to Bibb in 1822, and since then her boundaries have remained stationary.
Henry Carr's will was dated 15 Mar, 1847 and probated 12 Feb. 1848, and mentions wife Mary Carr (who lives separate and apart from me), oldest child Perry C. Carr, daughter Epsy Gilliland, second son Benjamin H. Carr, son Geo. W. Carr. Franklin E. Plummer was appointed counselor and was a witness. Other witnesses were George W. Robinson and William F. Chance.
Henry Carr was buried in the same plot as his son and daughter-in-law William A. Carr II and Virginia Hawkins, in Water Valley, Yalobusha, MS.
It is interesting that his son is named William Austin Carr Jr., but the only record I have found that links Henry Carr directly to his father, William Austin Carr of Randolph Co., NC is a single deed to which Henry was a witness, related to his grandfather, Joseph Carr.
The recorded birthdate may be wrong - the date is exactly twenty years to the day after his father, whose grave is in Randolph Co., NC.
The following information is provided as research information about other Carr families that have been linked (in error) to this family:
According to the 1860 Yalobusha Co., MS census:
A Jonathan Carr, Jr. resided adjacent the Pearson family, whose daughter married a Carr from another line. This line included Jonathan, b c 1820 and wife Ann E. (both born in NC). Children
Henry E. Carr, 23 (b c 1837) NC
J. H. or J. W. Carr, 21 (b c 1839) NC (Joshua per 1850 Sampson Co.)
William A. Carr, 19 (b c 1841) NC
James H. Carr, 17,(b c 1843) NC
Lucy Jane Carr, 12 (b c 1848) NC
Sarah E. Carr, 9 (b c 1851) NC
Temperence Carr, 7 (b c 1853) NC
Edward M. Carr, 4 (b c 1856) NC
Samuel Carr, 2 (b c 1858) NC
Anna Carr, 1 (b c 1859) MS
This family was in the 1850 Sampson Co., NC census and descends from Patrick Car of Bertie Co., NC. It may be this family that had Lewis Perry Carr "Uncle Tobe" claiming to descend from Patrick Carr of NC and Georgia.
Another Patrick Carr is mentioned in "The King's Mountain Men": "Patrick came from Ireland before the Revolution, was a captain under Colonel Clark in the attack on Augusta in September, 1780, and was under Sumter at Blackstock. The statement that he killed one hundred tories must be an exaggeration, if to be understood as a personal matter. His murder in 1802, in Jefferson County, Georgia, is said to have been by a son of a tory he had killed. At King's Mountain he was under Major Chandler." This is obviously the Patrick Carr that "Uncle Tobe" was mentioning, as the "killed 100 men" was in the story. Is it possible that this Patrick Carr was the son of the other one that went from Ireland to North Carolina and is mentioned above? Patrick Carr did have a son with his name, of which no more is known.
There is no know connection to this Carr family, but it is interesting that they come from NC - where the Carr family is "known to have resided." according to family traditions, and that it includes a Henry and a William A., as does the family which married the Pearsons.
A Henry Carr was a Capt., married to Mary Griffin in Early Co., GA, dau of John and Mary Griffin. I do not think that it was this man.
A festival is held in Water Valley, MS each August celebrating "Turkey Bill Carr", who as a child was captured by Indians, and who is said to have been one of the earliest white residents of Yalobusha County, MS. I do not know if that is "my" William, but it sounds like it ought to be!
Notes for Mary Downs:
Mary Downs was said to be the sister of Lavinia Downs. Lavinia is known to have been of the Creek tribe. No such stories are told about Mary, but there were few "white" women in Georgia when it was wilderness. One census record indicates she said she was born in Maryland, and a family of Downs did move from Maryland to Georgia. She (and her sister Lavinia) could have been half Creek.
Children of Henry Carr and Mary Downs are:
95 i. Epsey B.4 Carr, born 08 Sep 1801 in GA; died Aft. 1850. She married (1) Jonathan Gilliland; born Abt. 1812 in AL; died Aft. 1850. She married (2) [Unknown] Walker.
Notes for Epsey B. Carr:
or Epsie B. Carr. Epsey B. Butler is related to Crawford Downs and may be a close relative.
1850 Mary Downs, mother, resided with Epsey Carr according to the Water Valley, MS 1850 census.
The name Epsie may be short for Hespibah
+ 96 ii. Capt. William Austin Carr II, born 05 Mar 1803 in GA; died 13 Aug 1857 in Water Valley, Yalobusha, MS.
+ 97 iii. Benjamin Hawkins Carr, born 14 Jun 1812 in GA; died Aft. 1860.
+ 98 iv. Perry Cook Carr, born 22 May 1814 in prob. GA; died 05 Jun 1862 in Richmond, Henrico, CSA, VA.
+ 99 v. George Washington Carr, born 07 Jun 1816 in GA; died Abt. 1885 in GA.
32. Susannah3 Carr (William Austin2 , Joseph1 ) was born Abt. 1791. She married Benjamin Needham 26 Dec 1811 in Randolph Co., NC, son of William Needham and Margaret Bland. He was born 19 Aug 1787 in Randolph Co., NC, and died 01 Jan 1841 in Washington Co., AL.
Notes for Susannah Carr:
Her husband died in Washington Co., AL in 1841.
Child of Susannah Carr and Benjamin Needham is:
+ 100 i. Jane4 Needham, born Abt. 1812.
34. Nancy3 Carr (William Austin2 , Joseph1 ) was born Abt. 1796 in NC. She married Nathan Williams, son of Benjamin Williams and Hannah McManus. He was born Abt. 1790 in NC.
Notes for Nathan Williams:
In the 1850 census this family was in Tippah Co., MS, which is adjacent Hardeman Co., TN.
Children of Nancy Carr and Nathan Williams are:
101 i. James A.4 Williams, born Abt. 1830 in TN.
102 ii. Eliza Ann Williams, born Abt. 1836 in MS.
103 iii. Martha J. Williams, born Abt. 1838 in MS.
104 iv. Nancy Williams, born Abt. 1842 in MS.
35. Isaiah3 Hornaday, Jr. (Susannah2 Carr, Joseph1 ) was born Abt. 1789 in Cane Creek, Randolph, NC, and died Abt. 1835 in near Nelson's Ferry, GA. He married Lavinia Penelope Robinson, daughter of Edward Robinson.
Children of Isaiah Hornaday and Lavinia Robinson are:
+ 105 i. William Jackson4 Hornady, born Abt. 1817 in prob. Jones Co., GA; died in Ft> Gaines, AL.
+ 106 ii. Nelson Alexander Hornaday, born 16 Apr 1818 in Jones Co., GA; died Aft. 03 May 1892 in Macon Co., GA.
+ 107 iii. John E. Hornaday, born Abt. 1820 in Jones Co., GA; died 19 Jan 1872 in Macon Co., GA.
+ 108 iv. Henry Carr Hornady, born 20 Feb 1822 in Jones Co., GA; died 30 Mar 1893 in Montezuma, GA.
+ 109 v. Albert Crawford Hornady, born 22 Jul 1834 in Schley Co., GA; died 22 Oct 1867 in Schley Co., GA.
110 vi. Troup Hornaday.
111 vii. [Daughter] Hornaday.
37. Sarah3 Spinks (Susannah2 Carr, Joseph1 ) was born 21 Jan 1794. She married John Edwards 22 Feb 1810 in Randolph Co., NC.
Children of Sarah Spinks and John Edwards are:
112 i. Sarah J.4 Edwards.
113 ii. Nancy J. Edwards.
114 iii. Marion Edwards.
115 iv. James Edwards.
116 v. Rolly Spinks Edwards, born 1810.
117 vi. Isaac Edwards, born 1813.
118 vii. John W. Edwards, born 1815.
119 viii. Elizabeth Edwards, born 1818.
120 ix. Pauline Edwards, born 1821.
121 x. Amanda Edwards, born 1823.
40. Henry Nelson3 Spinks (Susannah2 Carr, Joseph1 ) was born 15 Oct 1800 in Jones Co., GA, and died Bef. 02 Jan 1843 in Jones Co., GA. He married Linda English 19 Dec 1822 in Jones Co., GA, daughter of John English.
Children of Henry Spinks and Linda English are:
+ 122 i. William Jefferson4 Spinks, born 29 Oct 1823.
123 ii. Rolly Randolph Spinks, born 05 Aug 1825. He married Sarah Ross 1852 in Chambers Co., AL.
124 iii. Sarah Ann Spinks, born 27 Aug 1827; died 21 Jan 1914.
+ 125 iv. John English Spinks, born 02 Nov 1829; died 12 May 1865.
126 v. Mary Heath Spinks, born 25 Nov 1831.
127 vi. Nancy Susan Spinks, born 27 Jan 1834.
128 vii. Jane Elizabeth Spinks, born 10 Feb 1836.
129 viii. George Washington Spinks, born 23 Feb 1838; died 31 May 1862.
130 ix. Francis Marion Spinks, born 10 Nov 1839; died 05 Dec 1841.
42. William Carr3 Spinks (Susannah2 Carr, Joseph1 ) was born 29 Jul 1805, and died Bef. 1880. He married Marian Smith 22 Nov 1825 in Jones Co., GA, daughter of James Smith.
Children of William Spinks and Marian Smith are:
131 i. Mary J.4 Spinks.
132 ii. H. M. Spinks.
133 iii. Martha Spinks. She married Edward Brooks 09 Jul 1848 in Jones Co., GA.