Name: THOMAS KILBOURNE
Birth: 8 MAY 1578 in West Parish, Wood Ditton, Cambridgeshire, England
Death: 1637 in Indian Massacre, Wethersfield, Hartford, Connecticut
Burial: 1637 ,Hartford, Connecticut
Christening: 8 MAY 1578 West Parish, Wood Ditton, Cambridgeshire, England
Connecticut Puritan Settlers, 1633-1845
Appendix, Containing Additions and Corrections.
Buck, Roger and William, with Thomas Kilbourne and family, Matthew Marvi n, William Payne and James Rogers were fellow passengers in the ship Incre ase, Robert Lea, master, from England--most of whom settled in Connecticu t, as is supposed, from the fact that early settlers of the same names we re early settlers here, and most of them at Wethersfield as early as 1636.
1. George Darius Kilbourne, page 6
2. The Family Memorial, page 11/12
3. Jack R. Lewis
P.O. Box 570050
Sigurd, Utah 84657-0050
1. Thomas came to Wethersfield, CT in 1685.
! 2. The ancestor of all in Conneticut and most of those in other Stat es of
the Union and in Canada, who bear the name, was born A.D. 1580, during the
reign of Queen Elizabeth; and with his family embarked from London for New
England, in the ship Increase; Robert Lea, master, on the 15th of April, 1 635.
In the 8th volume of the 3rd series of the Collections of the Massachusett s
Historical Society, pp 243 and following, is an article entitled "Gleanin gs for
New England History", by James Savage, LL.D., of Boston, in which we fi nd the
"Extract from a MS volume in folio at the Augmentation Office (so called)
where Rev. Joseph Hunter, one of the Record Commissioners, presides, in Ro lls
COurt, Westminister Hall. It contains the names of all persons permitted
toembark at the port of London, after Christmas, 1634, to the same peri od in
the following year, jept generally in regular successon. This was found o nly a
few months since, and may not have been seen by more than two or three per sons
for two hundred years."
"15th April 1635. Theis parties hereafter expresses are to be transported
to New England, embarqued in the Increase, Robert Lea, master, having tak en the
oath of allegiance and supremacy, as also being comfortable to the orde rs and
discipline of the church, whereof they brough testimony per certificates f rom
the Justice and Ministers where theur abodes have lately been.
"Husbandman, Tho. Kilbourne, aged 55
His wife, Frances Kilbourne, " 50
Children, Margaret Kilbourne " 23
Lyddia Kilbourne " 22
Marie Kilbourne " 18
Frances Kilbourne " 12
Jo. Kilbourne " 10
The family settled at Wethersfield, Conn. Thomas Kilbourne died previo us to
December 25, 1610, as appears from the Wethersfield Land Records, book 1st ,
page 135, viz.: "12th month, 25th day, 1640. Lands belonging to ffran:
Kilbourne, widdow, lycing in Wethersfield, on Conneticut River, " &c.
! 3. Baptized May 8th, 1578 in the Parish of Wood Ditton in Cambridgesh ire,
married Frances Moodie. They left Wood Ditton, England in 1635 on the shi p
INCREASE for America. Thomas, a church warden, was 55 years old and Franc es
was 50. They had lived until then in Cambridgeshire where Frances was bo rn and
they had nine children. Their arrival was only 15 years after that of the
pilgrims at Plymouth COlony. The family settled in Wethersfield along the
Connecticut River, near present day Hartford. Thomas lived only a few mor e
years, dying in 1639. Frances died in 1650.
Their children were: Margaret, Thomas, George, ELizabeth, Lydia, Mary,
Frances, John and Joseph.
Father: JOHN KILBOURNE b: 1553 in Waterbeach, Denny, Wood Ditton, Cambridgeshire, England
Mother: ANNE (NEE) KILBOURNE b: ABT 1555 in West Parish, Wood Ditton, Cambridgeshire, England
FRANCES MOODY b: 11 OCT 1584 in Wood Ditton, Cambridgeshire, England c: 11 OCT 1584 in Wood Ditton, Cambridgeshire, England
in Moulton, Suffolk, England
- Note: Frances Moody, sister of John Moody, married Thomas Kilbourne, and this co uple came to New England in 1635, settling in Wethersfield [Hale, House 65 2-56]. A third sibling, Elizabeth Moody, married John Pratt of Wood Ditto n, Cambridgeshire, but this was not the JOHN PRATT of Cambridge and Hartfo rd in New England [TAG 64:11].
- Anne Kilbourne b: 1605 in Moulton, Suffolk, England c: 2 OCT 1606 in Moulton, Suffolk, England
- Thomas Kilbourne b: 30 NOV 1609 in Wood Ditton, Cambridgeshire, England c: 30 NOV 1609 in Wood Ditton, Cambridgeshire, England
- Margaret Kilbourne b: ABT 1612 in Wood Ditton, Cambridgeshire, England c: 23 SEP 1607 in Wood Ditton, Cambridgeshire, England
- George Kilbourne b: 12 FEB 1611/12 in Wood Ditton, Cambridgeshire, England c: 12 JAN 1611/12 in Wood Ditton, Cambridgeshire, England
- Elizabeth Kilbourne b: 12 MAR 1613/14 in Wood Ditton, Cambridgeshire, England c: 12 MAY 1614 in Wood Ditton, Cambridgeshire, England
- LYDIA KILBOURNE b: 14 JUL 1615 in Wood Ditton, Cambridgeshire, England c: 14 JUL 1616 in Wood Ditton, Cambridgeshire, England
- Marie Kilbourne b: ABT 1619 in Wood Ditton, Cambridgeshire.England c: 12 MAY 1619 in Wood Ditton, Cambridgeshire.England
- Frances Kilbourne b: ABT 1623 in Wood Ditton, Cambridgeshire, England c: 4 SEP 1621 in Wood Ditton, Cambridgeshire, England
- John Kilbourne , Sgt. Came in Increase 1635 b: 29 SEP 1624 in Wood Ditton, Cambridgeshire, Enland c: 29 SEP 1624 in Wood Ditton, Cambridgeshire, Enland
- Joseph Kilbourne b: ABT 1625 in Wood Ditton, Cambridgeshire, England c: in Wood Ditton, Cambridgeshire, England