Name: Elizabeth Taylor
Birth: ABT. 1812 in VA.
Death: BET. 1860 - 1865 in Scott Co VA
There has been some confusion over the years as to her correct maiden name. Her correct surname is Taylor, not Allen. Per the research of descendant Kenneth D. Lawson:
After Lucy's death, William III married Elizabeth "Eliza" Taylor.
Elizabeth was the daughter of William N. Taylor (c. 1777
> - 1849) and Mary Catherine "Polly" Horton. She was my great, great
> In the Scott County marriage records Elizabeth Taylor is identified
> as Elizabeth Allen. However, compelling evidence has been developed,
> primarily by Mr. Joseph N. Adams (Oak Ridge, TN), that Elizabeth was
> a Taylor, not an Allen. This evidence includes statements from Mr.
> Robert B. Williams, a great nephew of Elizabeth's father William N.
> Taylor, and Sharon Taylor Carriger. Elizabeth Lawson reported the
> deaths of Nancy and Robert Wade, children of Sally Taylor and Owen
> Wade, as an aunt; and William N. Taylor left $30 to William Lawson
> in his will.
> Elizabeth and William spent more than 30 years together, she died
> sometime between 1860 and 1865. Her burial place is not known.
> William and Elizabeth had a total of 15 children.
The Illinois death record of her son Joshua also notes her maiden name as Taylor. As of May 2011 it has now been figured out that there was another Wm Lawson (unrelated) who married Elizabeth Allen in 1827. That couple left Scott Co, Virginia and has been the cause for the misconception that this William's second wife had the last name Allen.
Father: William N. Taylor b: ABT. 1777
Mother: Mary "Polly" Catherine Horton b: 1790
WILLIAM III LAWSON b: 26 MAY 1799 in Russell Co-now Scott Co, Virginia
in Scott Co, VA? 1
- Marriage Beginning Status: Other
- Note: There is an 1827 marriage in Scott Co, Virginia for a William Lawson to Elizabeth Allen. The marriage was once thought to be this couple thereby causing confusion on Elizabeth's maiden name. It is not this couple. It was a different Wm & Elizabeth and they moved from Scott Co, VA to Ripley Co, MO. The marriage for Wm Lawson & Elizabeth Taylor has yet to be found.
- Mary Anna Lawson b: ABT. 1829 in Scott Co, VA
- Nancy N. Lawson b: ABT. 1830 in Scott Co, VA
- Rebecca Q. Lawson b: JUL 1832 in Scott Co, Virginia
- Elizabeth Lawson b: ABT. 1834 in Scott CO, VA
- Louisa Edith Lawson b: ABT. 1835 in Scott Co, VA
- Sarah Lawson b: ABT. 1837 in Scott Co, VA
- Eliza Lawson b: ABT. 1839
- Henry P. Lawson b: OCT 1841 in Scott Co, VA
- Martha C. Lawson b: ABT. 1845 in Scott Co, Va
- John S.C. Lawson b: MAR 1845 in Scott Co, VA
- Nathaniel Lawson b: 1847 in Scott Co, VA
- James Everett Lawson b: 5 MAY 1849 in Scott Co, VA
- Robert W. Lawson b: 17 APR 1851 in Scott Co, VA
- Sophia Lawson b: 1853
- Joshua Spears Lawson b: 1853 in Scott Co, VA
- Title: Virginia marriages 1740-1850