Name: John HEALD
Given Name: John
Birth: 1619 in England
Christening: 23 Jan 1619/1620 Mobberley, Cheshire, England
Death: 24 May 1662 in Concord, Middlesex, Ma
Ancestral File #: 3500-H1
John Heald, (or Hale) as the name was often spelled in the early records, was one of the first settlers of Concord, Massachusetts. Some say 1635, but it may be 1641, as suggested by the birth of his first three children.
Change Date: 25 Aug 2005 at 01:00:00
He was admitted a freeman, June 2, 1641, and lived for some time at Roxbury and Cambridge, before settling in Concord
His will, written by his own hand, was dated the 19th of April the same year. In it he named his three eldest children, John, Timothy and Hannah, who had received their portions of his estate, and "my five youngest children," whose names he does not list. Beloved wife Dorothy was to be sole executrix.
Note: One additional child, Dorcas, died at age 5. This confirms that he had nine children.
It is interesting that among records of the earliest New England settlers one finds some autograph wills and few marks in place of signatures. In many cases this cannot be said of the next generation or two, no matter how prosperous their condition may have become. It is true of all pioneer communities at any period and is entirely understandable. Yet many a will that is signed by mark or initials means only physical weakness, since the signature of the testator appears on earlier papers.
I do not have any data supporting Dorothy Andros or Andrews (as reported by familysearch.org). I personally believe that there is nothing to support it.
However, there is proof that John m. Dorothy Royal in England and had a son named John also born in England.
There is no record of John ever married to another woman in Concord. Also, it is also doubtful that John came to the colonies, and then returned to England to marry Dorothy Royal. He became a "freeman" in 1641 which tells me that he no longer was indebted to anyone. With all that travel, and marrying, and having a child, and then making money for the passage to the colonies, would have indebtd himself to someone. Therefore, by logic and supporting records of marrige and births in England, I conclude that he was not in the original party settling Concord as reported.
Facts are he did come to the colonies with his wife Dorothy and son John and perhaps daughter, Dorcas. No ship has been verified with their passage, but it is reported that they stopped several cities prior to settling in Concord. There have been reports of a ship named Dorothy Royal, but no one has shown me the records of this ship. I tried to find the passenger lists of this ship, but could not even find the ship name in early ships coming to the colonies. The discussions regarding this also have no answer.
Early records were not that accurate. I believe that by some early mistake, the name Dorothy Andros was recorded in error, and the records were then repeated by others with no source. Then her parents were added, and etc. Therefore, I deleted any reference to her in my genealogy records. I do not believe that he married twice. If Dorothy Royal, his wife of record, died, where did she die,and where did he remarry? Records show a constant birth of children of John. Hard to do without a wife. I support my records with common logic as described above. If he did marry the second wife, when and where? Which children? When and where did the second wife die?
I know this does not answer your question, but there may never be an answer. Thanks for asking. I have he same concern registered on my web site www.healdfamily.org with a few other questions that I have not been able to answer. Who where John's parents, and is he related to Samuel Heald that came to PA but originated nearby in England. Robert W Heald [email@example.com]
Father: Thomas HEALD (HAIL) b: 1588 in Alderley, Cheshire, England
Mother: Mary TURNER b: 1583 in , , England
Dorothy ROYLE b: ABT 1612 in of, Alderley, Cheshire, England
3 Dec 1636
in Alderley, Cheshire, England
- John HEALD b: 26 Mar 1637 in Alderley, Chesire, England c: 26 Mar 1637 in Alderley, Cheshire, England
- Hannah HEALD b: 14 Aug 1638 in Alderley, Cheshire, England
- Timothy HEALD b: ABT 1641 in Alderley, Cheshire, England
- Dorcas HEALD b: 22 Mar 1645 in Concord, Middlesex Co., Ma
- Gershom HEALD b: 23 Mar 1646 in Concord, Middlesex, Ma
- Dorothy HEALD b: 16 Aug 1649 in Concord, Middlesex, Ma
- Thomas HALE b: 19 Jan 1651 in Concord, Middle, Eng c: 19 Jan 1650/1651 in Hartford, Hartford, Cnnc
- Isaac HALE b: ABT 1656 in Concord, Middlesex, Ma
- Israel HEALD b: 30 Jul 1660 in Concord, Middlesex, Ma
- Sarah HEALD b: ABT 1636 in <Alderly, Chesire, Eng>
- Ebenezer HALE b: ABT 1644 in Of Concord, Middlesex, Ma
- Samuel HALE b: ABT 1646 in Of Concord, Middlesex, Ma
- Ephraim HALE b: ABT 1648 in Concord, Middlesex, Ma
- Timothy HALE b: ABT 1653 in Concord, Middlesex, Ma
- Benjamin HALE b: ABT 1659 in Concord, Middlesex, Ma
- Amos HALE b: ABT 1662 in Concord, Middlesex, Ma
- HALE b: ABT 1664 in Concord, Middlesex, Ma
- Timothy HALL OR HEALD b: 1643 in Of Windsor, Hartford, Conn