Name: John Addison
Given Name: John
Suffix: , Esq., Col.
Change Date: 22 Aug 2008
Birth: ABT 1630 in The Hill, Westmoreland, England
Death: BET NOV 1705 AND APR 1706 in Prince George's County, MD
John Addision was in Maryland by 1667, Cpatain of the Foote in Charles County, later Captain of the Horse, and by 1694 was a colonel. He died 1707 in England during a business trip
Hon. Col. John Addison, Esq. 29.193 I PG £836.4.10 Apr 29 1709
Appraisers: William Hutchison, Hickford Leman.
Col. John Addison 29.229 A £864.4.10 £67.18.7 May 28 1709
Mentions: Mr. William Hutchison, Mr. Hickford Leman.
Received from: Mr. Joseph Jackson (merchant), Capt. John Hyde, Mr. Isaac Millner, Mr. Heneage Robinson, Mr. John Travers.
Payments to: James Mullikin, Joseph James, Issabella Dickison, Charles Jones, William Morris, William Floyde, Dr. William Lock, John Middleton, Mr. William Hutchison, Mr. James Wallace, Patrick Hepburne, Mr. John Frigg, His Excellency John Seymour.
Administrator: Mr. Thomas Addison.
Name: Lancelot ADDISON , Reverend
Birth: abt 1632 Meaburn Town Head, Mauldismeaburn Manor, Crosby Ravensworth Parish, Westmoreland, England
Death: 20 APR 1703
Residence: "The Hill", Westmoreland, England
Burial: Litchfield Cathedral, England
Marriage 1 Dorothy DANVERS Father: John DANVERS
John ADDISON b: in Westmoreland, England
(1) "Maryland Historical Magazine," Vol. 14, "Some Early Colonial Marylanders," p.388-394. Cites: (a) Mr. Boucher in an article written for the "Historia Cumbriensis." (b) Archives of Maryland, Proceedings of the Council 1667-1687/8, Vol. 5, p.334,565; Vol. 7, p.94,610; Vol. 8, p.74,138,199,242,271,307; Vol. 13, p.243-247,320. (c) Archives of Maryland, Proceedings of the Council 1687/8-1693, Vol. 8, p.433. (1d) Archives of MD, Proceedings of the Council 1693-1696/7, Vol. 19, p.421; Vol. 20, p.109,130,281; Vol. 25, p.190,265; Vol. 38, p.27,104.
(2) "The Tayloes of Virginia and Allied Families," by W. Randolph Tayloe (Berryville, VA, 1963) p.88. FHL #929.273 T211t.
(3) "A Biographical Dictionary of the Maryland Legislature, 1635-1789, " Vol. 1 (Johns Hopkins Univ. Press, Baltimore) p.100.
(4) "Register of Maryland's Heraldic Families."
(5) "Washington Star," Washington D.C., "P.G. OKs Deal for Manor Land, " by Donald Hirzel. Date unknown.
(6) "Genealogy of the Virginia Family of Lomax by one of the Seventh Generation in the Direct Line" (1913) p.50. FHL #929.273 L 837l.
(7) "The Founders of Anne Arundel and Howard Counties, Maryland," by J.D. Warfield (Kohn & Pollock, Baltimore, 1905) p.219.
Birth: (1,4) s/o Rev. Launcelot Addison, M.A. (2) s/o Rev. Launcelot Addison/Dorothy Danvers. (1) From Cumberlandshire, Eng. (3) Westmoreland, England, probably s/o Rev. Launcelot Addison, M.A. (4) 1634. (6) 2nd s/o Launcelot Addison of "The Hill," Westmoreland, England.
Marriage to Rebecca Wilkinson: (1,2,6) 1677. (1,3,4) Rebecca Dent, nee Wilkinson. (1,3,4) Widow of Thomas Dent. (2,6) Rebecca Dent Wilkinson. (3) By 1677.
Death: (1,2,4,6) 1706. (1) He is said to have gone on a visit to England and d. there. (1d) Living in Jun 1705, but on 10 Jun 1707 Gov. Seymour writes to the Board of Trade in London that Col. John Addison and 2 other Members of her Majesty's Council in MD have died since the last appointment. (3) Between Nov 1705 and Apr 1706. (4) England.
(1) Was from Cumberlandshire, England. (3) Member of a socially ascending family in England. Referred to as Gentleman ca. 1670, and Esq. after 1692.
(5) First Duke of Marlborough. (4) By Manorial Rights he was entitled to arms described as "Ermine on a bend gules; three annulets or: on a chief, argent, three leopards' heads of the third." Crest described as "A Unicorn's head pierced by an arrow, in the bend sinister." Motto was "Vulnus opemque fero" (I bear a wound and a healing). The legend of the arms had its origin in an old Saxon superstition that a wound received on the battlefield could be cured by the weapon that inflicted it.
(1,2,4,6) 1667: Came to America. (3) 1674, came to America as a free adult from England. (6) Came to MD.
(3) Resided St Mary's Co., MD.
(5) Wealthy merchant and adventurer.
(1b) 1677/8, Mar: A Maryland proceeding by Christopher Rousby, the King's Collector of Customs, vs. the master of a vessel for importation of goods in violation of the strict letter of the law, in St George's River, St Mary's County, from which John Addison seems to be engaged in merchandising. (3) The ship "Liverpool Merchant," of which he owned a share, was condemned and its cargo seized for violation of the Navigation Acts 1679-1782.
(1b) 1678: In an act passed at the Oct-Nov session of the Maryland Council, John Addison is one of many due tobacco in the late expedition against the Nanticoke Indians and other charges of the Province.
(1b) 1683: In an act passed at the Oct-Nov session of the Maryland Council, John Addison was appointed one of Commissioners to lay out Ports, Towns and other places in St Mary's County.
(4) 1685: Built Oxon Hill Manor. Called Lord of Oxon Hill, Calvert Co., MD (1695 part became Prince George's Co., MD.) (1a) The branch of the Addison family that went to MD "possess a noble estate on the banks of the Potomac opposite Alexandria and contiguous to the new Federal City. The family has long been distinguished for their strong sense, fine taste and humour and exquisite style in writing." (1) Oxon Hill, the Colonial home of the Addisons, probably was named for Oxford University, at the mouth of Broad Creek into the Potomac about 10 miles below Washington. It was destroyed by fire 6 Feb 1895 after it had passed out of the family in the time of Rev. Walter Dulany Addison. (4) Destroyed by fire 1897. (5) Oxon Hill Manor overlooking the Potomac River was originally owned by John Addison. He acquired a large section of land as payment for providing overseas passage for colonists in the late 1600's. Other parts were obtained from Lord Baltimore. His son Thomas continued ownership of the property. The Addison family owned the property until 1810. Since then it has been divided and subdivided, and the remaining 55 acre portion lying between Oxon Hill Road and the Beltway, immediately south of Indian Head Highway, Prince George's Co., MD, was later sold to the county for a park, conference center, mini-convention center and site for cultural and civic activities. The original manor house burned in 1895. The current manor house was built in 1929 by Sumner Welles, later undersecretary of state and ambassador to Cuba during the administration of President Roosevelt Franklin. He sold the property in 1952. It is beleived that John Hanson, president of the First Continental Congress, was buried somewhere on the property at his death in 1783.
(1b) 1687, 22 Sep: Appointed a "puny" (puisne) Justice for Charles Co., MD, to which he had at some time removed from St Mary's. (3) Resided in Charles Co., MD by 1687. Justice of Charles Co. 1687-1692.
(1b) 1688/9, Mar: Named as taking part in a wild Indian and French scare, "partly as an alarmist and partly with credit to his better judgement."
(1b) 1689, 4 Sep: Re-appointed Justice for Charles Co. and Captain of Foot in the upper parts of Charles Co. and "Newscotland." Also appointed one of a Committee for the whole Province for the allotting, laying and assessing the public levy of the Province. (3) 1689-1694, Captain, Charles Co.
(3) 1689-1692: Attended Associators' Convention, Charles Co., MD.
(1b) 1689, 28 Nov: Signed the Congratulatory Address of the Protestants of Charles Co. to William and Mary on their accession to the throne of England. (1) After the Protestant Revolution of 1689 he was one of the leading Protestants of MD. The family has been strongly attached to the Protestant Episcopal Church ever since. (3) His active support of the revolution of 1689 led to his first provincial offices.
(1b) 1690: Named on several important commissions.
(3) 1690-1692: Served on the Grand Committee of Twenty.
(3) 1691: Coroner, Charles Co., MD.
(1b) 1691, 16 Apr: Commissioned one of a Special Court for the trial of the accused murderers of John Paine, the royal Collector for Patuxent District, "whose death had caused great political excitement in Maryland and had drawn attention in England."
(1b) 1691, 26 Aug: The British King and Queen, William and Mary, appointed John Addison one of the Council of Maryland. He continued as a member until his death. (2,6) Member of the Council 1692-1706. (3) 1692-1705. (4) Counsellor for King William.
(3) 1692: Owned at least 3,289 acres.
(3) 1692-1693: Served in the MD Upper House.
(1b) 1692, 8 Apr: Commissioned a Justice of the Provincial Court. (The highest Court in Maryland.) (3) Justice, Provincial Court, 1692-1694.
(1b) 1692, 30 May: Appointed by the Governor and Council one of several Commissioners to hold a special Court of Oyer and Terminer for the trial of the master of a vessel in St Mary's River accused of illegally entering goods.
(2,6) 1692, 30 Jul: Commissioned Captain of Militia.
(1c) 1692, 21 Dec: In a letter brought to the attention of the MD Council, he is called "a new Castle Factor," which may indicate a business connection with that town in England. The remark was apparently intended to be abusive, and to speak disrespectfully of a Member of the Council was a serious offense. There was a complaint of a Member that he had been elected a Vestryman and asking if it is not an indignity to a Member of the Council; the Council said that it is and ordered the election to be annulled.
(3) 1693: Judge, Court of Chancery.
(3) 1693-1705: Served on Piscattaway (King George's) Parish Vestry, Charles Co., MD.
(3) 1694-1697: Served in the MD Upper House.
(1d) 1694, 30 Jul: Mentioned in the proceedings of the Council of MD as being a Captain of a Troop of Horse, commissioned on the same day as Colonel of Charles Co. (3) 1694-1705, Colonel, Charles and Prince George's Cos. (6) Colonel commanding militia of Charles Co., MD.
(1d,6) 1695, 17 Aug: Commissioned Colonel of Prince George's Co., recently formed, being taken chiefly from Charles Co. (2) Colonel commanding Charles Co. Militia and placed in command of the militia of Prince George's Co. (3) Resided in Prince George's Co. after 1695.
(1d) 1696, Jul: Appointed by Act of Assembly one of the first Trustees of King William's School, to be founded at Annapolis, afterwards St John's College. (4) One of the founders of St John's College. (7) The trustees of King William's School at its founding in 1696 were Gov. Francis Nicholson, Hon. Sir Thomas Lawrence, Col. George Robathan, Col. Charles Hutchins, Col. John Addison, Rev. Divine, Mr. Peregrine Coney, Mr. John Hewitt, Mr. Robert Smith, Kenelym Cheseldyne, Henry Coursey, Edward Dorsey, Thomas Ennals, Thomas Tasker, Francis Jenkins, William Dent, Thomas Smith, Edward Boothy, John Thompson and John Bigger, gentleman. The school stood on a lot given by Gov. Nicholson on the south side of the State House, the spot of the DeKalb Statue, and was completed in 1701. In 1785, the property was conveyed to St John's College.
(2,6) 1696-1699: Chancellor and Keeper of the Great Seal of the Province. (3) Associate chancellor 1696.
(1d) 1697, Jun: By an Act of the Assembly, he was appointed, with another man, to hear and determine all differences, quarrels and controversies between the Indian Nations of Ackocick, Nanjemoy, Pomunky and Piscattoway and those that inhabit within Charles and Prince George's Cos. and the English inhabitants thereunto adjacent. (1) He is very frequently mentioned in the MD Archive records, especially in connection with operations against and dealings with the Indians, his residence in Charles and Prince George's Counties being on or near the then frontier of the settled Province.
(3) 1697/8-1700: Served in the MD Upper House.
(3) 1699-1700: Associate Commissary General.
(3) 1701-1704: Served in the MD Upper House.
(3) 1704-1705: Served in the MD Upper House, but died before the 4th session.
(3) At death, he owned 6,478.5 acres and 14 slaves. He had a balance of just under 1,000 lbs. sterling in the hands of several London merchants.
(3) Established a powerful political family in Prince George's Co., MD.
Encyclopedia of Virginia Biography, Volume IV:
Colonel JOHN ADDISON, who came to this country from England in the year 1667. Colonel John Addition was a brother of Rev. Launcelot Addison, Dean of Litchfield, father of the noted Joseph Addison. He was also a brother of Rev. Anthony Addison, B.D., rector of Abington and chaplain to the Duke of Marlborough. He died in 1719 and is buried under the altar of the church he served. Rev. Launcelot Addison is buried in the Cathedral of Lutchfield, where over the door is to be seem the Addison arms. In common with his family in England, Colonel John Addison was a Whig in politics, and his signature is found on an address of congratulations to King William. He was a Privy Councillor of the "intruding government introduced by the Protestant Revolution." In 1692 he was a member of his Majesties Council and presiding judge of Charles County. He also distinguished himself in the encounters of the colonists with the Indians, and was commissioned colonel of the "Military Establishment of the Colony". He was the leading commissioner in establishing St. John's parish, Maryland, and in building Broad Creek Church, of which is great-grandson, Rev. Walter D. Addison, was later rector. He was a large subscriber and one of the trustees of King William's School, at that time about to be made a free school. He married the widow of Thomas Dent, she was a daughter of Rev. William Wilkinson, the first clergyman of the church of England to come to the province of Maryland, and the owner of twelve thousand acres of land.
Returning to England on business, Colonel Addison died in that country, intestate, leaving considerable wealth there besides "a very large landed estate in this country".
Colonial Families in the United States, Volume 1
JOHN ADDISON (Colonel) of England and Maryland was the second son of Lancelot Addition of "the Hill", Westmoreland, England; he emigrated to Maryland in 1667, and was a member of the Council of Maryland, 1692-1706; Chancellor and Keeper of the Great Seal of the Province, 1696-1699; Captain, 1692; commissioned 30th July, 1694, Colonel Commanding the Militia of Charles County, and placed in command of the Militia of George's County, 17th August, 1695. He d. 1706; m. 1677 Rebecca (DENT) WILKINSON, dau of Rev. William Wilkinson of England and Maryland, who was b. 1612, d 1663. Their son, Thomas ADDISON (Colonel) of Prince George's County, MD. was educated at Oxford, England; built "Oxon Hill", opp. Alexandria, named after his Alma Mater; member of the Counsel of Maryland, 1711-1727; Colonel of Prince Georges County Militia, 1714. He was b. 1679; d 17th June, 1727; m. (firstly) 21st April, 1701, Elizabeth Tasker, b. 1686, d 10th February 1706, dau. of Hon. Thomas TASKER, member of the Council, Justice of the High Provincial Court and Treasurer of Maryland; m. (secondly) Eleanor SMITH, dau. of Col. Walter and Rachel (HALL) Smith.
Rebecca Wilkinson b: ABT 1636 in Elizabeth City, Norfolk, VA
BEF 13 FEB 1676/77
in MD 1
- Thomas Addison b: 1681
- Anne Addison
- Abbrev: Maryland State Archives, Inventories & Accounts 4:
Title: Maryland State Archives, Inventories & Accounts 4:74