Name: Basil William PRATHER
Given Name: Basil William
Surname: Prather 1
Birth: 1 Feb 1741/42 in Prince George's County, Maryland 1
Death: 7 Oct 1822 in Utica Township, Clark County, Indiana 1
Burial: New Chapel Church Cemetery, Watson, Clark County, Indiana
Note: Plot 20
Military Service - Revolutionary War
FILE: C:\PICTURESFTM\Basil William Prather Tombstone.jpg
Title: Basil William Prather Tombstone
Note: Thanks to SunCatcher
Basil Prather and his family left Maryland about 1772 and moved to Rowan County, North Carolina. He took the Oath of Allegiance in North Carolina. Basil Prather took part in the N.C. Militia, Salisbury District, at the Battle of Camden, South Carolina on August 16, 1780 under General Gates. In this battle he received a wound in his left knee, which caused him to limp for the rest of his life.
In 1789, at the age of 47, Basil Prather sold his 428 acres in Rowan County, N.C., gathered his family and other related families (BENNETT, LUTZ, HOLMAN, SWARTZ, BROWN, ROBERTSON, AND GAITHER are in the records). They formed a caravan of more than 80 people and came over land and by flat boat to Clark County, Indiana, where Basil bought 3,000 acres of land.
Basil Prather was a Christian man in whose parlor church services were held until the New Chapel Methodist Church could be organized, perhaps the first Methodist church in the territory.
Four of Basil Prather's sons married women whose fathers had also served in the Revolutionary War: Walter m. Martha Jacobs, daughter of Jeremiah Jacobs, Basil Robertson m. Rachel Holman, daughter of Isaac Holman, Judge Samuel m. Edith Holman, daughter of Isaac Holman, Lloyd Benton m. Nancy Redmon, daughter of Benjamin Redmon.
Most, if not all of the above, are buried in New Chapel Cemetery in Clark County, Indiana. I am a native of Clark County but now live in Louisiana. Last year I visited the cemetery and found stones for Basil Prather (which has a DAR marker), Isaac Holman, and Jeremiah Jacobs, all of whom are my ancestors. Hope this helps and is not too overwhelming.
Donna Prather Crider
Chlorinda R. ROBERTSON b: 14 Aug 1748 in Frederick County, Maryland
in Frederick County, Maryland
- Change Date:
5 Nov 2012
- Nancy Elizabeth PRATHER b: 1765 in Frederick County, Maryland
- William B. PRATHER b: 15 Aug 1766 in Frederick County, Maryland
- Walter PRATHER b: 2 Feb 1768 in Frederick County, Maryland
- Thomas PRATHER b: 23 Jul 1769 in Frederick County, Maryland
- Basil Robertson PRATHER b: 27 Jun 1771 in Lower Potomac Hundred, Frederick County, Maryland
- Catherine PRATHER b: 1772 in Rowan County, North Carolina
- Aaron PRATHER b: 1775 in Rowan County, North Carolina
- John Asa PRATHER b: 1776 in Rowan County, North Carolina
- Samuel PRATHER b: 1780 in Rowan County, North Carolina
- Lloyd Benton PRATHER b: 25 Nov 1782 in Rowan County, North Carolina
- Rebecca PRATHER b: 1784 in Rowan County, North Carolina
- Rachel PRATHER b: 27 Oct 1787 in Rowan County, North Carolina
- Sihon Simon PRATHER b: 9 Nov 1791 in Rowan County, North Carolina
- Chloe PRATHER b: 1794 in Rowan County, North Carolina
- Susanna PRATHER b: 1798 in Rowan County, North Carolina
- Abbrev: Randy Jones
Title: The Prather Family
Author: Randy Jones
Publication: Email Add: email@example.com
Date: 12 Aug 1969