Name: *Michael SCHAUER
Birth: ABT 1679 in Massenbach, Wuertemberg, Germany
Occupation: see note 1
Change Date: 5 FEB 2002|
*Anna Magdalena SCHAWERIN
in Wurttemberg, Germany
- *Hans Michael SCHAUER b: MAY 1699 in Massebach, Germany
- Johann Adam SCHAUER b: AUG 1701 in Massenbach, Germany
- Anna Magdalena SCHAUER b: APR 1704
- Maria Catherina SCHAUER b: SEP 1706
- Name: Michael, a Catholic, married Anna Magdelena Schawerin, a Protestant, about 1698 in Wurttemberg, Germany. They were later forced to emigrate to England in 1709 because of war and religious persecution. They lived in a tent city in London until
Queen Anne, a devout Protestant, felt England was overburdened with Germans, and decided to return all Catholics to Germany. At that point, Michale Schauer converted to Lutheranism. Later that year, arrangements were made for Michael and
several thousand other Palatine refugees to leave London for the colonies.
Name: On Christmas Day in 1709, 4000 Germans embarked on ships for New York, but were detained on board the vessels until Easter 1710, awaiting convoys to protect them against the French men-of-war. Approximately 1700 died before arrival in New York,
including Michael Schauer.
Name: Anna settled in the Hudson Valley of New York and eventually remarried.
Name: ---The Scauer/Showers Family. by Ken Showers. e-mail showers @zekes.com
Name: -- Palentine History.. "The reasons for the 'Great Palatine Migration.' "
Name: Info: Mary Beth Janssen's Cunningham-Christiam FAmily at RootsWeb.com