Name: Elizabeth Fuller
Given Name: Elizabeth
Birth: 26 Aug 1566 in England
Death: Abt 1633 in , , Virginia
Change Date: 17 Oct 2006 at 01:00
"Ship Passenger Lists The South 1538-1825" by Carl Boyer
Names of inhabitants of Jamestown in 1624
(From Hotten, Lists of Emigrants to Ameria, 173-178)
Elizabeth Clement in the book "Colonial Surry" by John B. Boddie. She purchased and lived in the Claremont Manor in Surry County, VA. Her son, John, maintained the estate for many years after her death in 1629. Some say she went back to England but I have found no proof of that as yet.
Her husband, Geoffrey/Jeffrey was a partner in the shipping company in England that brought many of our early pilgrims to this country. After his death, Elizabeth came to the colonies with her children on the ship the "George". Her second husband was Captain Ralph Hamor who lived in Jamestown and owned a plantation on Hog Island. He was a member of the Governor's Council in 1625-26 and died in 1626 while in that office.
Widow of Jeffrey Clement of London, married Jeffrey in London,1590, bore him five children (name of first two not given), among them being Jeremiah, born 1607, Nicholas and Elizabeth. Widowed in 1609, and left with four children (this indicated that one died), she came to America on the ship "George", landing at Jamestown in 10 June 1611. She married again,1621, Colonel Ralph Hamor.
Elizabeth Clement came to Jamestown in 1611, bringing with her four small children and two servants. A woman of gentile birth and breeding,the niece of Nicholas Fuller and Lady Elizabeth Layghton. (Taken from magazine Genealogy edited by Em. Montgomery Clements. Re:1, 2 & 5, p. 41, 7 p.378 and Re: 13).
Mrs. Jeffrey Clements, nee Lady Elizabeth Fuller, following the death of her husband at Oxford, England, went to Jamestown, Virginia, in 1611, taking with her her sons Jeremiah, Nicholas, Ezechaill and her daughter together with two white servants.
Upon the death of John Clement, her husband, Jeffrey Clement's bachelor brother, she was left by him stock in the Virginia Company and money he had invested in the ship "The George". They lived through the Indian Massacre of 1622 at James Citie, and she married 2nd 1621, Ralph Hamor, Secretary of the Colony.
After the death of Elizabeth Homor, Gov. Harvey granted to her eldest son, Jeremiah Clements, 350 acres at Upper Chippoakes Creek, Surry County, Virginia, 16 August 1657. (Land Patents Book 1, p. 115) He was a member of the Assembly for James Citie, January 12, 1641 (Virginia Historical Magazine, Vol. 9, p. 51, Burgess).
His son, Capt. John Clement, born 16_1, of Surry County was Commander-in-Chief during Bacon's Rebellion, and in the old records are given the boundaries of the Thomas Rolph property, and it spoke of how King Powhatan had given the land to his daughter, Pocahontas, who married John Rolph, etc.
Clement * Clements * Clemens
Complete records of this family have never been completed due to the destruction of the court records of Eastern Virginia Counties. The Virginia Magazine of History and Biography, Vol. 32, published in 1924 states that the founder of the family came to Virginia in 1611. She was Mrs.Elizabeth Clemens a woman of "gentle birth", a niece of Sir Nicholas Fuller and Lady
Elizabeth Layghton. She brought with her, three sons and a daughter. In Land Patent Book, Vol. II, page 306, in Surry County, Jeremiah Clements, son of Mrs. Elizabeth Clements, deceased, is mentioned. In various old Virginia records Jeremiah, Bartholamew, and Francis, Sr., are mentioned but these genealogical records are vague. No positive direct lineage is provable until we see William Clements of King William County (Land Patent Book 17, page 164, Richmond) being granted 1227 acres in Amelia County on the Appomattox River and Bent Run in the year 1736. This William Clement served as one of the presiding judges of the Court of Amelia from1741-1755, when he was appointed sheriff (Amelia County Records). He died in 1760 and his will, probated in February of that year, named sons Benjamin, John, William, Francis, and daughters, Elizabeth, Ann, and Barsheba.
Jeremiah Clement from 1633 to about 1657. Clement claimed it by patent as heir to his mother. She had come to Virginia with her young children on the same ship as Captain Ralph Hamor, a veteran of the early days of the colony and author of A True Relation of the Present State of Virginia. Mrs. Clement soon married Captain Hamor, who was by then a member of the Governor's Council. After his death she married Tobias Felgate, a ship's captain and Virginia Company stockholder, and returned to England in 1628.
During his lifetime, Jeremiah Clement acquired more than a square mile of land on the James River shore at the present location of Claremont. He represented the Surry side in the House of Burgesses in 1642 and styled himself Jeremiah Clement of Upper Cheapokes, Gent. He was sufficiently affluent to have had bronze spurs and a place to wear them. The unusual façon de Venice glass tumbler found in the pit probably belonged to his household as well.
Volunteers who have helped with the work include Al Bak, Cindy Dauses, George Ramsey, John Zaun, and Richard Moss.
Clay Tobacco Pipes from 44Sy5Q
For more information about Claremont and Jeremiah Clement, see Eve S. Gregory, Claremont Manor: A History (Petersburg, 1990).
Return to VFAR page.
Page revised 27 August 2000. © VFAR, Inc.
Father: Cuthbert Fuller,
Geoffrey Clements b: 1566 in Doddringhurst, Essex County
26 Aug 1590
- Change Date:
24 Nov 2011
- Samuel Clements b: 7 Sep 1601 in St Katherinesatthetower, London England
- Elizabeth Clements b: 29 May 1603 in London, England
- Thomas Clements b: 7 Nov 1604 in London, England
- Ezechaiil Clements b: 1605 in England
- Nicholas Clements b: 7 Dec 1606 in London, England
- Jeremiah Clements b: 1607 in Oxford England
- Elizabeth Clements b: 9 Nov 1609 in London, England
in , , Virginia
- Change Date:
24 Nov 2011
- Change Date:
24 Nov 2011