Name: Absalom Suggs
Given Name: Absalom
Birth: Abt 1732 in , North Carolina
Death: 1805 in , Greene, North Carolina
Change Date: 7 Mar 2014 at 04:39
From A Sow Or Sparrow - A History Of The Sugg Family Paul L. Hisaw
Dobbs County, NC - Capt. John Granger's District, 1780
Suggs Absalom £344 6 Indn Corn
Suggs John £3,313 33 1/2 Indn Corn
NC - GRANTOR/GRANTEE INDEX OF JOHNSTON, DOBBS, AND LENOIR COUNTIES
Old Dobbs County BOOK 6 - April 1758 - April 1765
From to page
Sugg (Suggs), Absalom (Absolem) John Cotton 22
Old Dobbs County BOOK 13 - April 1784 to April 1789 (1)
Same Absalom Sugg (Suggs) 337
Sugg, Absalom John Cale (Cole) 70
Sugg (Suggs), Absalom Hymrick Hooker 256
House, Everitt John Sugg 320
Absalom Sugg had the following grants:
a) 9 April 1764 Absalom Sugg was granted (File # 602) 250 acres in Dobbs County, North Carolina (Bk. 23, Pg. 69). Cain B., John Sugg and Thomas Crans.
b) 20 December 1778 Absalom Sugg was granted (File # 639) 100 acres in Dobbs County, North Carolina (Bk. 56, Pg. 157).
1790 Federal Census Dobbs Co., North Carolina
1D-018 Absalom Sugg 4 3 3 _ _ 1D-019
John Sugg Senr 2 1 3 _ 5 1D-020
John Sugg Junr 1 1 1 _ 1 1D-021
Josiah Sugg 1 _ 1 _ 2
14 Nov 1788 - Received a Memorial of FRANCIS HARPER
Note: was this a petition? Francis Hodges and I are inclined to think Francis Harper I was deceased by the 1790 Census. We base this on the number of slaves he had in 1780 and what is shown for Francis Harper Sr. on the 1790 Census. We are inclined to think the above mention of a Memorial for Francis was due to his death. A search in the Legislative Papers might turn up something in the Petition files. We could be wrong, but for now we have him deceased by 1788.
The below is from Francis Hodges
20 July, 1797
Absalom Sugg testified in Benj. Sheppard vs. Francis and Blaney Harper upward of 40 years hath past . . . he was present when the surveyor Richard Caswell surveyed the tract of land for Francis Harper and
Richard Caswell in the county of Dobbs. . .on the Contentnea ck bank on the south side of said ck. at or near some marked pines. . .and it was then said it was near Alexander Harper's corner tree."
We are inclined to think Francis I's two sons, Francis and Blaney were straightening out the boundary line of the property obtained by their father and Richard Caswell per patent.
Absalom Sugg Greene, NC 1800
Name: Absalom Sugg
Home in 1800 (City, County, State): Greene, North Carolina
Free White Persons - Males - 26 thru 44: 1
Free White Persons - Males - 45 and over: 1
Free White Persons - Females - 16 thru 25: 1
Free White Persons - Females - 26 thru 44: 2
Free White Persons - Females - 45 and over: 1
1. John Suggs, born circa 1755 in State of North Carolina.
2. William Suggs, born circa 1758 in State of North Carolina.
3. Sarah Suggs, born circa 1760 in State of North Carolina.
4. Michael (Micajah) Suggs, born circa 1762 in State of North Carolina.
5. James Suggs, born circa 1764 in Johnson County, North Carolina.
6. Curtis Suggs, born circa 1768 in State of North Carolina.
7. Joshua Suggs, born circa 1770 in State of North Carolina.
8. Hezekiah Suggs, born circa 1772 in State of North Carolina.
9. Nancy Suggs, born circa 1773 in State of North Carolina.
10. Moses Suggs, born circa 1774 in State of North Carolina.
11. Absalom Suggs, Jr. born circa 1777 in Dobbs County, North Carolina.
Father: Thomas Sugg b: Abt 1690 in Norfolk, Virginia
Mother: Sarah Aldridge b: Abt 1698 in Norfolk, Virginia,
Vinil Bunn b: 1737
in North Carolina
- Change Date:
24 Nov 2011
- John Suggs b: Abt 1755 in , North Carolina
- William Suggs b: Abt 1758 in , , North Carolina
- Sarah Suggs b: Abt 1760 in , , North Carolina
- Michael (Micajah) Suggs b: 1762 in , , North Carolina
- James Suggs b: 1764 in , Johnson, North Carolina
- Curtis Suggs b: 1768 in , , North Carolina
- Joshua Suggs b: 1770 in , , North Carolina
- Hezekiah Suggs b: 1772 in , , North Carolina
- Nancy Suggs b: 1773 in , , North Carolina
- Moses Suggs b: 1774 in , , North Carolina
- Absalom Suggs b: 1777 in , Dobbs, North Carolina