Name: Edward Bennett
Reference Number: 368A(1)16
Reference Number: A2950a(1)4
Sources - L. T. Kersey - The Kersey Family
1. EDWARD1 BENNET1 was born WFT Est. 1575-16042, and died WFT Est. 1629-16893. He married ALICE EGINTON4 WFT Est. 1616-16485.
Notes for ALICE EGINTON:
!Source: Chester Co. Bio.& Gen. BENNETT, -- the earliest rcord of this family is obtained from an old Bible which was brought over by the emigrant ancestors
of the present generation. The entries are as follows: "Baptised was John sonn
of Edward and Alis Bennet the 14 day of May 1626. "Was baptised Margery the
Daughter of Oliver and Mary ffello 14 August 1628. "Married were John Bennet
and Margery ffello the 10 of February 1650. "Ann thare Daughter was
baptised the 8 day of April, 1654. "Baptised was John the sonn of John and Margery
Bennet the 20 January 1656. "Baptised was Edward Bennet the sonn of Johm and
Margery Bennet the 14 October 1659, "Baptised was Mary the Daughter of
John and Margery Bennet 16 October 1663. " Margery Bennet the 16 day of January
1665 but was borne the 25 of December.
Child of EDWARD BENNET and ALICE EGINTON is:
2. i. JOHN2 BENNETT, b. May 14, 1626, OVERBURY, WORCESTERSHIRE, ENGLAND; d. WFT Est. 1668-1717.
Generation No. 2
2. JOHN2 BENNETT (EDWARD1 BENNET)6 was born May 14, 1626 in OVERBURY, WORCESTERSHIRE, ENGLAND7, and died WFT Est. 1668-17178. He married MARGERY (FFELLO) FELLOW9 February 10, 1649/50 in OVERBURY, WORCESTERSHIRE, ENGLAND10, daughter of OLIVER FELLOW and MARY BACHE.
Notes for JOHN BENNETT:
!Source: Chester County and It's People 1686 John Bennett appointed constable.
Children of JOHN BENNETT and MARGERY FELLOW are:
3. i. EDWARD3 BENNETT, b. October 04, 1659, OVERBURY, STAFFORDSHIRE, ENGLAND, LDS/SLC; d. November 08, 1715, Chester County, Pennsylvania.
ii. ANN BENNETT, b. April 08, 1654, OVERBURY, WORCESTERSHIRE, ENGLAND, LDS/SLC11; d. WFT Est. 1655-174812.
iii. JOHN BENNETT, b. January 20, 1655/56, OVERBURY, WORCESTERSHIRE, ENGLAND, LDS/SLC13; d. WFT Est. 1689-174714; m. ANN BRINTON, April 18, 1684, STOURBRIDGE, STAFFORDSHIRE, ENGLAND, LDS/SLC15.
iv. MARY BENNETT, b. October 16, 1663, OVERBURY, STAFFORDSHIRE, ENGLAND, LDS/SLC16; d. WFT Est. 1664-175717.
v. MARGERY BENNETT, b. January 16, 1664/65, OVERBURY, STAFFORDSHIRE, ENGLAND, LDS/SLC18; d. WFT Est. 1666-175919.
Generation No. 3
3. EDWARD3 BENNETT (JOHN2, EDWARD1 BENNET) was born October 04, 1659 in OVERBURY, STAFFORDSHIRE, ENGLAND, LDS/SLC, and died November 08, 1715 in Chester County, Pennsylvania. He married (1) MARGERY WILLIS20 1687 in Chester County, Pennsylvania. He married (2) SARAH CLUES21 169722.
Notes for EDWARD BENNETT:
!Chester Co.Bio.& Gen. Page 61 Edward and Margery settled in Thornbury.
She left three children, -- John, b. March 10, 1688-9; Jacob, b. May 10,
1691; and Hester (Esther), b. September, 1694 (m. to Moses Waite). Edward married, in
1697, Sarah Clues, widow, daughter of Francis Stanfield, by whom he had Edward,
b. May 22, 1699; Sarah, b. April 1, 1701; (m. Thomas Yeatman), Joseph, b.
Sept.29, 1704; William, b. Dec.23, 1705; and Elizabeth.
!Edward Bennet came from Overy, City of Worcester, England about 1685. In 1687 he married Margery Willis.
!Chester Co. Probate Records show an Edward Bennet 4-9-1715 Book A p.24.
!SOURCE: History of Delaware Co., Pa. by George Smith M.D. 1862
Bennett, Edward, purchased land in Concord, in the year 1686, and
doubtless settled there, as he that year married Margery Willis. He was
probably a brother of John Bennett, and she a sister of John Willis, the
son-in-law of immigrant William Brinton.
!Source: LDSm birth date 14 Oct. 1659
Notes for MARGERY WILLIS:
!PASSENGER AND IMMIGRATION LIST INDEX - MARGERY WILLIS NA VA. 1654
2772 PAGE 364
Notes for SARAH CLUES:
!Sarah m. Edward Bennett (RIN 105) in 1697, she was a widow and the daughter of
Francis Stanfield. Children: Edward, b. 22 May 1699; Sarah, b. 1 Apr.1701,
married Thomas Yeatman; Joseph, b. 29 Sept. 1704; William, b. 23 Dec. 1705;
Children of EDWARD BENNETT and MARGERY WILLIS are:
4. i. ESTHER4 BENNETT, b. September 1694, Pennsylvania.
ii. JOHN BENNETT, b. March 10, 1688/8923; d. WFT Est. 1690-177924.
iii. JACOB BENNET, b. May 10, 169125; d. WFT Est. 1692-178126.
5. iv. ESTHER BENNET, b. September 1694; d. WFT Est. 1722-1788.
v. EDWARD BENNETT, b. May 22, 169927; d. WFT Est. 1700-178928.
Generation No. 4
4. ESTHER4 BENNETT (EDWARD3, JOHN2, EDWARD1 BENNET) was born September 1694 in Pennsylvania. She married MOSES WAITE, son of JOSEPH WAITE and HANNAH BILLINGS.
Child of ESTHER BENNETT and MOSES WAITE is:
6. i. HANNAH5 WAITE, b. 1732, Chester County, Pennsylvania.
5. ESTHER4 BENNET (EDWARD3 BENNETT, JOHN2, EDWARD1 BENNET)29 was born September 169430, and died WFT Est. 1722-178831. She married MOSES WAITE32 WFT Est. 1722-175533.
Child of ESTHER BENNET and MOSES WAITE is:
7. i. SARAH5 WAITE, b. WFT Est. 1715-1742; d. WFT Est. 1769-1830.
Generation No. 5
6. HANNAH5 WAITE (ESTHER4 BENNETT, EDWARD3, JOHN2, EDWARD1 BENNET) was born 1732 in Chester County, Pennsylvania. She married PETER BUFFINGTON July 31, 1750 in Christ Church, Pennsylvania, son of RICHARD BUFFINGTON and PHEBE GRUBB.
Children of HANNAH WAITE and PETER BUFFINGTON are:
8. i. ESTHER6 BUFFINGTON, b. February 01, 1750/51, Chester county, Chester PA.; d. May 30, 1830, Butler township, Montgomery county.
ii. SARAH BUFFINGTON.
7. SARAH5 WAITE (ESTHER4 BENNET, EDWARD3 BENNETT, JOHN2, EDWARD1 BENNET)34 was born WFT Est. 1715-174235, and died WFT Est. 1769-183036. She married JAMES MARSHALL37 June 19, 175538, son of ABRAHAM MARSHALL and MARY HUNT.
Notes for SARAH WAITE:
!Source: CCHS Daughter of Moses and Sarah Bennett Waite of East Caln d. before 1826.
Notes for JAMES MARSHALL:
!Source: History of Chester County, Pa. Page 650 Marshall, James and Sarah
(Waite RIN 251), children of:
Hannah, m. Calab Peirce; children: Sarah, Lydia, Esther, and others.
Moses, m. Alice Pennock; children: Sarah Maria, Humphrey, Aquilla, Moses, and Junius.
Jacob, m. Margaret Armitt and Elizabeth Worth; children: (by first) Richard,
Thomas B., James, Armitt, Jacob, and Margaret; (by second) Mary Ann and
!West Chester Court House - Wills 1788 - heirs - his wife Sarah.
!See Family Group Sheet for other children of James and Sarah (Waite) Marshall.
Jacob Marshall RIN 370
Esther Marshall RIN 371
James Marshall RIN 99 (Family Group Sheet) MRIN 45
James and Sarah (Family Group Sheet) MRIN 58
!Source: DAR Patroit Index
Marshall, James b. 1-13-1725 d. p. 1790 m. Sarah Waite Pvt. Pa.
!Source: Chester and Delaware Counties He was a farmer in West Bradford but
was also frequently employed in clerical work in the county offices.
Children of SARAH WAITE and JAMES MARSHALL are:
i. HANNAH6 MARSHALL, b. WFT Est. 1746-177439; d. WFT Est. 1777-185640; m. CALEB PEIRCE, WFT Est. 1777-181241.
Notes for CALEB PEIRCE:
!Source: Chester and Delaware Counties They had six children.
ii. ESTHER MARSHALL, b. WFT Est. 1746-1774, DIED YOUNG42; d. WFT Est. 1751-185643.
iii. MOSES MARSHALL, b. WFT Est. 1746-177444; d. WFT Est. 1779-185345; m. ALICE PENNOCK, WFT Est. 1779-181546.
Notes for MOSES MARSHALL:
!Source: Chester and Delaware Counties Children: Sarah, Maria, Humphrey
!Source: History of Chester County, Pennsylvania Page 651
Dr. Moses Marshall, son of James and grandson of Abraham the emigrant (also
the nephew of Humphry Marshall, the distinguished botanist), was born in
West Bradford township, Chester Co., on Nov.20, 1758. He received a tolerable
education , both English and classical, and studied medicine with Dr. Nicholas
Way, in Wilmington, Del., from 1776 to 1779. He had and extraordinary
opportunity of being initiated into surgery in attending the British soldiers
who had been wounded in the battle of Brandywine, Sept.11, 1777, and were
removed to Wilmington after that conflict.
After practicing medicine a short itme, Dr. Marshall became an inmate in the
family of his uncle Humphry, devoting his time and services exclusively as an
aid to his uncle in the business of collecting and shipping plants and seeds to
Europe. He made several long exploring journeys in that pursuit through the
wilderness regions of the West and southwest. He was a good practical
botanist, well acquainted with most of our indigenous forest-trees and shrubs, and
rendered valuable assistance to his uncle in preparing the "Arbustum
Americanum," the earliest native botanical work in the United States.
On the 6th of April, 1796 Governor Mifflin appointed him justice of the
peace, in which office he did excellent service as a peacemaker in the
community around him. In all his acts Dr. Marshall was a remarkably
consientious man, as well as a cautious, upright magistrate. Dr. Marshall
discontinued the business of sending plants and seeds to Europe soon
after his uncle's death, and the old garden, though still rich in vegetation, has
become, by a culpable neglect, a mere wilderness. He died Oct. 1, 1813, in the
fifty-fifth year of his age.
iv. JACOB MARSHALL, b. February 25, 1761, Bradford, CHESTER CO., PA.47; d. August 03, 180748; m. (1) MARGARET ARMITT, October 26, 178649; m. (2) ELIZABETH WORTH, December 12, 179950.
Notes for JACOB MARSHALL:
!Source: Chester and Delaware Counties Jacob was a farmer in West Bradfsord
township. Children by two wives:Richard, b. 28 Jun 1787 - d. 31 Jul 1859;
Thomas B. b. 11 Dec 1788 - d. 5 Dec 1875 , married Hannah Baily; James b. 28
May 1791 - d. 5 Jul. 1792; Armitt, b. 21 Feb. 1793 - d. 8 Dec. 1878; Jaccob, b.
8 Aug. 1796 - d. 3 June 1807; Margaret, b. 8 Mar. 1798 - d. 1 Apr. 1876,
married James Pyle; Mary Ann, married William Swayne, 18 Oct. 1826; John W., b.
26 Apr. 1804 - d. 17 June 1863. John W. last named, was married 27 Mar.1828 to
Edna Webb, born 8 July 1806 - d. 13 Aug. 1884, daughter of Thomas and Mary
(Way) Webb, of Kennett Township. He settled on a farm of one hundred ans sixty
acres in East Marlborough, a short distance west of Cedarcroft, and after his
death his widow resided in West Chester. They had eight children: Mary
Elizabeth, b. 10 Feb. 1829 - d. 18 Aug. 1837; Sasrah W., b. 5 May 1830 -
married William Chalfant; Charles Carroll, b. 13 Nov. 1832 - d. 3 Aug.
1837; Henry, b. 14 Mar. 1835 - d. 4 Aug. 1837; William S., b. 17 June 1839; John
Henry, b. 19 Jan. 1841, ex-member of the legislature and owner of the homestead.
Notes for MARGARET ARMITT:
!Source: Chester and Delaware Counties Daughter of Richard Armitt and
Elizabeth his wife , of Philadelphia.
Notes for ELIZABETH WORTH:
!Source: Chester and Delaware Counties Daughter of John and Mary (Bently)
Worth, of East Fallowfield.
9. v. JAMES MARSHALL, b. June 10, 1766, Bradford, CHESTER CO., PA.; d. February 22, 1850, SALEM, COLUMBANIA, OHIO.
Generation No. 6
8. ESTHER6 BUFFINGTON (HANNAH5 WAITE, ESTHER4 BENNETT, EDWARD3, JOHN2, EDWARD1 BENNET) was born February 01, 1750/51 in Chester county, Chester PA., and died May 30, 1830 in Butler township, Montgomery county. She married JOSEPH EVANS November 17, 1773 in Georgia, son of JOSEPH EVANS SR..
Children of ESTHER BUFFINGTON and JOSEPH EVANS are:
i. SAMUEL7 EVANS, b. January 27, 1775.
ii. HANNAH EVANS, b. October 27, 1776; m. WILLIAM JOHNSON.
iii. ISAAC EVANS, b. November 07, 1778.
10. iv. MOSES EVANS, b. September 24, 1780, Warren Co., GA; d. January 08, 1853, Vigo, IN.
v. MARGARET EVANS, b. 1782.
vi. ADAM EVANS, b. December 30, 1784.
vii. JOHN EVANS, b. February 16, 1787.
11. viii. ROBERT EVANS, b. February 07, 1789; d. June 25, 1863, Monroe township, Ohio.
ix. PHEBE EVANS, b. December 13, 1790.
x. MARY EVANS, b. December 08, 1792; m. LEVI HAWKINS.
xi. AARON EVANS, b. January 13, 1794.
12. xii. SALLY (SARAH) EVANS, b. May 31, 1797, Wrightsboro, GA.
9. JAMES6 MARSHALL (SARAH5 WAITE, ESTHER4 BENNET, EDWARD3 BENNETT, JOHN2, EDWARD1 BENNET)51 was born June 10, 1766 in Bradford, CHESTER CO., PA.52, and died February 22, 1850 in SALEM, COLUMBANIA, OHIO53. He married (1) JANE MCLAUGHLIN54 WFT Est. 1797-179955. He married (2) LYDIA BALDWIN56 WFT Est. 1806-183757, daughter of THOMAS BALDWIN and LYDIA JOHNSON.
Notes for JAMES MARSHALL:
!History of Columbiana Co. Page 37 - He was a commissioner 1824-7.
!Ann, b. 4 Sep 1801; d. 3 Feb 1884, m. Ellis Patterson.
!Jane RIN 44, b. 8 Nov 1802; d. 2 Nov 1887; m. James Stamp RIN 43.
!Johnson, b. 3 Sep 1804; d. 11 Jan 1867; m. Eleanor Pennock, and Ruth
!Phebe, b. 21 Oct 1805; d. 9 Jun 1890; m. William Preston.
!Thomas, b. 22 Feb 1807; d. 25 Jun 1882; m. Sarah Clark.
!Jacob, b. 8 Jun 1808; d. 25 jun 1882; m. Susan Irwin.
!Lydia, b. 8 Dec 1809; d. 12 Aug 1824, Unionville, Chester Co., Pa.
!John B., b. 23 Mar 1811; d. 10 Dec 1880; m.Keziah P.Crain.
!Levi, b. 29 Dec 1812; d. 10 Oct 1834, Newlin Twp.; unmarried; buried at
Marshallton Chester Co.; he was a wheelwright.
!Elizabeth, b. 24 Aug 1814; d. 28 Nov 1885; unmarried.
!Mosed, b. 2 Feb 1816; d. 28 Nov 1816.
!Catharine, b. 10 Jan 1819; m. Jacob Groner.
!William E., b. 11 Apr 1821; d. 9 Mar 1875; m. Louise Windle; his address was
Franklin Square, Columbiana Co., Ohio. Children: Emza, Norris, Dayton,Mary,
Maria, Laura, and Emmor.
!Source: Chester and Delaware Counties James, married Jane Mclaughlin,who
died 4 mo. 28, 1800, and secondly, Lydia Baldwin (RIN 102). He and hislast
wife were buried at Salem, Ohio. Children by both: Sarah, Caleb, Hannah,
Mary,Elekiel, Esther, James G., Ann, Jane (RIN 44 ), Johnson, Phebe, Thomas,
Jacob,Lydia, John, Levi, Elizabeth, Moses, Catherine, and William.
!November 10, 1988 The record also show that Jane (RIN 44), a daughterof
James (RIN 99) and Lydia (RIN 102) m. James Stamp (RIN 43) in 1826. Janeb. 8
Nov 1802, d. 2 Nov 1887; James b. 2 Jan 1796 d. Jun 1873.
!Source: Columbiana Co.Cemetery Records - Vol. 1 or 5
James C. Marshall Ohio Mar.31, 1892 7
Children of JAMES MARSHALL and LYDIA BALDWIN are:
i. HANNAH7 MARSHALL, b. WFT Est. 1791-181858; d. WFT Est. 1797-190159.
ii. SARAH AND OTHERS MARSHALL, b. WFT Est. 1791-181860; d. WFT Est. 1797-190161.
iii. ANN MARSHALL, b. September 04, 180162; d. February 03, 188463.
13. iv. JANE MARSHALL, b. November 08, 1802, CHESTER CO., PA.; d. November 21, 1887, SALEM, MAHONING, OHIO.
v. PHEBE MARSHALL, b. October 21, 180564; d. June 09, 189065.
vi. LYDIA MARSHALL, b. December 08, 180966; d. March 30, 185167.
vii. JOHN B. MARSHALL, b. March 23, 181168; d. December 19, 188069.
viii. LEVI MARSHALL, b. December 29, 181270; d. October 10, 188071.
ix. ELIZABETH MARSHALL, b. August 24, 181472; d. November 28, 188573.
x. MOSES MARSHALL, b. February 02, 181674; d. March 24, 181675.
xi. CATHERINE MARSHALL, b. January 10, 181976; d. November 16, 190977.
Generation No. 7
10. MOSES7 EVANS (ESTHER6 BUFFINGTON, HANNAH5 WAITE, ESTHER4 BENNETT, EDWARD3, JOHN2, EDWARD1 BENNET) was born September 24, 1780 in Warren Co., GA, and died January 08, 1853 in Vigo, IN. He married SARAH KESTER March 27, 1806 in Butler, OH, daughter of PAUL KESTER and RUHAMA BONHAM.
Child of MOSES EVANS and SARAH KESTER is:
i. JOSEPH8 EVANS, b. June 13, 1813, Miami Co,OH; d. September 01, 1887, Danville. Vermillion, IL; m. JULIA ANN WEEKS, November 28, 1836, Vigo, IN.
11. ROBERT7 EVANS (ESTHER6 BUFFINGTON, HANNAH5 WAITE, ESTHER4 BENNETT, EDWARD3, JOHN2, EDWARD1 BENNET) was born February 07, 1789, and died June 25, 1863 in Monroe township, Ohio. He married (1) ESTHER JENKINS July 12, 1812 in Mill Creek, Miami county, Ohio, daughter of THOMAS JENKINS and MARIS GAUNT. He married (2) MARY JENKINS November 26, 1835.
Children of ROBERT EVANS and ESTHER JENKINS are:
i. THOMAS8 EVANS, b. April 04, 1813, Monroe Township, Miami county, OH; m. SOPHIA KRISE.
ii. JOSEPH EVANS, b. April 12, 1815, Miami county, Ohio.
iii. WILLIAM EVANS, b. March 09, 1824, Miami county, Ohio; m. JANE.
iv. MOSES EVANS, b. January 17, 1826, Monroe township, Ohio, Miami county; m. (1) ELIZABETH PEARSON, February 24, 1847, Miami county; m. (2) RUTH RUSSELL, December 31, 1857, Monroe township, Miami county; m. (3) DELILAH (YOUNT) FANNER, May 03, 1865.
v. MORRIS EVANS.
vi. ELI KELLEY EVANS, b. July 27, 1829, Wabash, Wabash Indiana; m. CHARITY JAY.
vii. ESTHER EVANS, b. August 31, 1821, Miami county, Ohio.
viii. ELEANORE EVANS, b. February 04, 1817, Miami county, Ohio; m. JAMES COPPOCK, May 26, 1853, West Branch.
ix. JULIAN EVANS, b. August 18, 1819, Miami county, Ohio.
x. MARIE EVANS, b. November 30, 1828, Miami county, Ohio; m. SAMUEL JAY.
Children of ROBERT EVANS and MARY JENKINS are:
xi. ELIZABETH8 EVANS, b. May 25, 1848, Miami county, Ohio; m. WILLIAM MACY.
xii. LOUISE EVANS.
xiii. MARY L. EVANS, b. August 29, 1836, Miami county, Ohio; m. THOMAS HOLLINGSWORTH.
xiv. AARON EVANS, b. August 29, 1836, Miami county, Ohio.
xv. JESSE EVANS, b. August 01, 1841, Miami county, Ohio.
xvi. KAREN EVANS, b. July 24, 1843, Miami county, Ohio; m. DAVIS JESTER.
xvii. ROBERT MILTON EVANS, b. March 18, 1845, Monroe township, Ohio; d. 1918; m. JANE (MINERVA) KELLER, March 02, 1867, Ohio.
12. SALLY (SARAH)7 EVANS (ESTHER6 BUFFINGTON, HANNAH5 WAITE, ESTHER4 BENNETT, EDWARD3, JOHN2, EDWARD1 BENNET) was born May 31, 1797 in Wrightsboro, GA. She married JOHN FURNAS December 03, 1818 in Miami county, Ohio, son of JOSEPH FURNAS and SARAH PEARSON.
Children of SALLY EVANS and JOHN FURNAS are:
i. MARY8 FURNAS, b. December 02, 1818; d. September 20, 1834.
ii. JOSEPH FURNAS, b. September 04, 1821; d. October 26, 1821.
iii. JOSEPH EVANS FURNAS, b. September 26, 1822; d. March 1866; m. (1) ARMILLA (EMILY) FOUTS; m. (2) ESTER PEARSON; m. (3) MARY F. ANDERSON.
iv. ROBERT FURNAS.
v. SAMUEL FURNAS.
vi. SARAH FURNAS, m. JOHN JOHNSTON.
vii. THOMAS FURNAS.
viii. DAVIS FURNAS.
ix. JANE FURNAS, m. GEORGE MILLER.
x. ESTHER FURNAS, b. 1819; m. WILLIAM JOY.
13. JANE7 MARSHALL (JAMES6, SARAH5 WAITE, ESTHER4 BENNET, EDWARD3 BENNETT, JOHN2, EDWARD1 BENNET)78 was born November 08, 1802 in CHESTER CO., PA.79, and died November 21, 1887 in SALEM, MAHONING, OHIO80. She married JAMES STAMP81 182682, son of WILLIAM STAMP and HANNAH MCFADDEN.
Notes for JAMES STAMP:
!Source: Census Microfilm for 1850, Stark Co., Nimishillen Twp.,Dist 139
407/416 James Stamp 50 m Sawyer [?] 100 Pa.
Jane 47 f Pa.
William 23 m Sawyer [?] Pa.
Lydia 19 f Pa.
Susanna 17 f Pa.
Hannah 16 f Pa.
Levi 14 m Pa.
John 11 m O.
Phebe 6 f O.
Andrew Potts 25 m Engineer O.
[This record was dated 29 Nov.1850, Stark Co., Ohio]
!Source: 1850 Ohio Census shows James as 50.
- John Bennett b: ABT 14 MAY 1626 in Overbury, Worcester, England