Name: John (Kuntz KOONTZ) Counts
Birth: ABT 1734 in Opequon, Frederick Co (now Page), VA
Death: 27 APR 1803 in Cleveland, Glade Hollow, Russell Co, Va
Change Date: 12 APR 2017
For more on this family see my page at:
John Counts first owned land in Shenandoah County, VA as early as 1765.
According to ?Some Descendants of John Counts of Glade Hollow? by Hetty Sutherland, he bought his first farm in 1785 on Hawksbil Creek NW of Luray, Va (formerlay Frederick Co, later Shenandoah Co in 1772, then Page Co in 1831, long after he had moved away). The Counts farm was 3 miles nw of Luray and about 1 mile south of the mouth of Hawksbill Creek in Page Co, VA.
John Counts moved to Glade Hollow, just east of Cleveland, Russell Co, Va. about 1789 and died there in 1803. He was buried on this farm.
There was a local census of this area done in 1783 and 1785. In the 1785 census, there is found:
Jno. Countz - 6 whites
Jacob Countz - 2 whites
George Countz - 4 whites
Find A Grave Memorial# 36880528
Father: Johannes KUNTZE b: 18 APR 1706 in Oberfischbach, Nassau-Siegen, Germany
Mother: Anna Elizabeth Catherine STOEVER
Mary Magdalene SUMMERS b: 1732 in Prince William Co, VA
in maybe Frederick Co, Va.
- Eve COUNTS b: ABT 1758
- Mary Magdalina "Mollie" COUNTS b: 1762 in Shenandoah Co, Va.
- John COUNTS b: 1765 in Frederick Co, Va.
- Catherine COUNTS b: 1767 in Frederick Co, Va.
- Elizabeth Malissa "Lissey" COUNTS b: ABT 1766
- Philip COUNTS b: 1769 in Frederick Co, Va.
- George COUNTS b: ABT 1770 in Frederick Co, Va.
- Christina COUNTS b: 1773 in Shenandoah Co, Va