Name: Emma Karas
Birth: 21 MAR 1889 in Perth Twp, Walsh Co ND
Birth: 21 MAR 1889 in Perth Twp, Walsh Co, ND 1
Death: 1 JAN 1979 in Lankin Walsh Co ND
Burial: St Joseph's Catholic Cemetery, Lankin Walsh Co ND See Dsc04837.jpg
1. PARENTS: Her parents were Czech
2. CENSUS: 1930 United States Federal Census Department of Commerce Bureau of the Census, Fifteenth census of the United States 1930 Population, State of North Dakota, Walsh Co, Norton Township, enumerator A.J. Machart Apr , 1930 sheet 2B entry 36 Trenda, Emma wife female white 41 married since 22, born in Minnesota of Czech parents r/w/s English.1. CENSUS: 1900 Twelfth Census of the United States Schedule No 1, Population, North Dakota, County Walsh, Latona Township Taken June 1st 1900 by Andrew Snavaarg Enumeration District 203 Sheet 1B entry 20, (Pachl), Emma stepdaughter, born April 1890 10 born in ND in school 4 months in 1930 r/w/s English.
3. CENSUS: 1920 United States Federal Census Department of Commerce Bureau of the Census, Fourteenth census of the United States 1920 Population, State of North Dakota, Walsh Co, Norton Township enumerator John N. Shepard Sheet 7B Jan 17-20th 1920 entry 57/58 Sticha, Emma wife female white 30 married r/w/s English born in ND of Bohemian parents.
4. CENSUS: 1940: 1940 United States Federal Census Department of Commerce Bureau of the Census, Sixteenth Census of the United States 1940 Population Schedule, State of North Dakota, Walsh Co, Norton Township, taken April 15, 1940, Enumerator John V. Machart, SD No 2, ED No 50-33 Sheet No 2A entry 26 Sherek Emma wife female white 51 married education grade 4, born in ND and was living in same home in Walsh Co on April 1, 1935 and working at home.
5. 1. PUBLICATION : See Walsh Co Heritage Publications, A Continued Story of Walsh Co and Its Pioneers and their Descendants, Walsh Co Historical Society, Four Volumes, Vol III, PUBLISHED BY WALSH COUNTY HISTORICAL SOCIETY
EDITED BY MRS. MYRTLE BALKEE, GRAFTON, N. DAK.
PRINTED BY ASSOCIATED PRINTERS, GRAFTON, N. DAK. 58237
WALSH COUNTY, NORTH DAKOTA Adams Page 81 (Photos
in Vol III are sub standard.)
HENRY AND ANNE ELTON
Anne Christine Hilde, daughter of Lars K. and Dorthe
Monson Hilde, was born Jan. 31, 1888, in Adams Township.
She had seven sisters and three brothers, and was the oldest girl
in the family. She attended the Omdalen rural school.
Anne worked at Olson's Mercantile Store, the Beanery, and
also at the first Bookwalter Hotel, which was later destroyed by
fire, then rebuilt in another location, (fire took the second hotel in
1940). While Anne worked in this first Bookwalter Hotel, her coworker
was Emma Karas, later known as Emma Shirek. In her
declining years, when Anne entered the Rena Hansen Home in
Park River, as one of the residents, who should be her roommate
but her former helpmate, Emma Karas Shirek.
Henry Elton, son of Ole O. and Ingrid Qually Elton, was
born Sept. 30, 1889, in Vesta Township. He had six brothers
and five sisters. Around 1900 or so, the family moved to
Shepherd Township and farmed. Henry attended a rural school
nearby. When Henry finished grade school, he worked at various
farms in the Adams area and Drayton area. The latter place was
his ideal location as he would often say that he should have
settled in that Drayton area as there were no rocks to contend with
Anne Hilde and Henry Elton were married Aug. 12, 1916,
in the Mountain Lutheran Church, Adams. Their attendants were
Louise Hilde, Minnie Elton Berg, Gilman Elton, and Melvin
Hilde. After the wedding, a large meal was served at the bride's
home, the farm now owned and occupied by Dennis Larson.
Anne and Henry lived on the Morrisson-McKay farm, southwest
of Adams, just east of the correction line on Highway 35, for a
few years. Then they moved to a farm northeast of Adams, a
place that had been homesteaded by her father, so they were the
second generation to live on this farm. Years later, their daughter,
Dorothy, and her husband, Knute, took over the place, making it
the third generation.
During their lifetime, both Anne and Henry worked hard to
make a living; especially the Depression years with all the dust
storms. Anne was a great helper; she shocked grain, shoveled
grain in grain bins, milked cows, besides helping with other farm
work. She would have a large garden and would willingly share
her produce with friends and neighbors. Anne was a good cook
as well as an excellent seamstress. Many of the garments which
she sewed were made from used but good clothing.
Besides his own farm work, Henry would help his neighbors,
especially during the threshing season. He was usually with the
Monson Threshing Outfit.
Anne and Henry had one daughter, Dorothy Irene. She
attended a country school and graduated from the Adams High
School in 1941. She married Knute Bjerke July 2, 1945.
The winter of 1942, Anne, Henry, and daughter Dorothy
lived in Adams, occupying the Anderson house. Henry helped
Pete Hanson at the Implement Shop.
Henry bought his first John Deere combine in 1945, and
used it that fall. The following winter, March 27, 1946, he
Anne continued to make her home with Dorothy and Knute.
Later she moved to the Rena Hansen Home, Park River. She was
very happy there but when the doors were closed, Anne moved
to the Good Samaritan Home in Park River. She was the second
resident to move into this new building. Here she remained until
her death, May 30, 1980, at the age of ninety-two years. Both
Henry and Anne are buried in the West Adams Cemetery.
6. CENSUS: 1930 United States Federal Census Department of Commerce Bureau of the Census, Fifteenth census of the United States 1930 Population, State of North Dakota, Walsh Co, Norton Township, enumerator A.J. Machart Apr 7, 1930 sheet 33-02B entry 37, Shereck, Matt K. head owns his farm and has a radio male white 46 married at 29 born in MN of Czech parents farming and wife Emma 41 ND of Czech parents and girls Lorraine C. 18 ND and Donna M. 9 ND
Michael K. 'Matt' Sherek b: 12 JAN 1884 in Veseli Minnesota
in St Peter and Paul Church, Bechyne Walsh Co ND 2
- Lorraine E. Sherek b: 16 MAR 1912 in Norton Twp, Walsh Co North Dakota
- Anna Marie Sherek b: 26 MAY 1916
- Donna Marie Sherek b: 1 JAN 1921 in Norton Township Walsh Co North Dakota
- Title: Census 1900 Walsh Co Latona Township
Page: Sheet 203-01B entry 20-22
Text: Pachl Emma born April 1890 in North Dakota
- Title: Index to Marriage Records Walsh Co ND Book 'A' Licenses 'Grafton Court House Record Grafton, Walsh Co, ND'
Page: Index Page 274, Book 8, Page 294
Text: Karas Emma, 8 294 Married 1911