Name: George Hutchinson TURNER
Birth: 1788 in New Brunswick
Death: 22 MAY 1860 in Fredericton, New Brunswick 1
Baptism: 13 APR 1788 Anglican Church, Maugerville, Sunbury Co. 2
Burial: 24 MAY 1860 Old Protestant Burial Ground, Fredricton
Reference Number: 179
A stage driver, a proprietor of a horse-drawn transportation concern with stables, horses and employees – we are uncertain as to the extent of his enterprise. We do know, however, that he was very involved in transportation and a highly respected man in his community, a man who was mourned widely at his death. For more than 30 years he provided a cab service for members of the House of Assembly of New Brunswick. he may have been the first of many New Brunswick Turners to be involved in horse-drawn transportation.
In 1833 he built a house at the corner of Regent and George Streets in Fredericton. It is still standing and has been awarded heritage status.
His children included two who went into stagecoach transportation and two who were involved in sea-going transportation.
George’s granddaughter, Myra, says that, in addition to their nine children, George and Catherine also adopted and educated two young boys, Richard Bellamy and Thomas Temple. Bellamy was born in England and emigrated at 10 years of age as one of the so-called “Blue Coat Boys” who arrived in 1834. They were disadvantaged children from a poor area of London. No record of adoption or care of these boys has been found. Bellamy was later a farmer, land surveyor and politician, representing York County in the Legislative Assembly from 1886 to 1890 as a Liberal member. He died in 1892. Temple was born in England in 1818 and was likely a Blue Coat Boy. He became a farmer, lumberman, High Sherriff for York County, President of Fredericton railway, an MP for York Riding as a Conservative and later a member of the Senate. John Turner’s son, William, named his fourth child John Richard Bellamy Turner.
Father: Holden TURNER b: 4 NOV 1760 in Glasgow, Lanarkshire, Scotland
Mother: Jennet HUTCHINSON b: ABT 1769 in Ayrshire, Scotland c: 28 JAN 1766 in Peterhead, Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Catherine RUSSELL b: 1799 in Kingsclear, York County, New Brunswick
21 JAN 1817
in Fredericton, New Brunswick 3
- Jane Elizabeth TURNER b: ABT 1818 in Fredericton, New Brunswick
- Sarah Ann TURNER b: 29 FEB 1820 in Fredericton, New Brunswick
- Robert TURNER b: 28 MAR 1822 in Fredericton, New Brunswick
- John TURNER b: 31 JUL 1824 in Fredericton, York County, New Brunswick
- Edward William TURNER b: 18 APR 1827 in Fredericton, New Brunswick
- George Holden TURNER b: 14 OCT 1829 in Fredericton, New Brunswick
- James TURNER b: 30 JAN 1832 in Fredericton, New Brunswick
- Catherine Jane TURNER b: 1834 in Fredricton, New Brunswick
- Charles William TURNER b: 2 JUL 1838 in Fredericton, New Brunswick
Mary J. HARNED b: 14 FEB 1799 in Fredericton, New Brunswick
18 APR 1842
in Fredricton, New Brunswick 4
- Title: Headquarters, Fredericton
- Title: Marjory McGillivray Waters
Page: Addendum Pge 7
- Title: Ancestry.ca Drouin Collection
- Title: New Brunswick Courier, Saint John
Page: April 30 1842