Name: Peter BARRETT
Birth: ABT 1809 in Kilbride (Ballycastle), County Mayo, Ireland 1
Death: 6 FEB 1894 2
Reference Number: 98
Peter Barrett was a farmer in Hull.
The following article appeared in the Ottawa Citizen November 12, 1942
"Mr. James Barrett who lives just to the east of the International Fibre Board Works at Gatineau Point is 98 years of age. He has lived in the vicinity of Ottawa all his life. He is an older brother of John Barrett of 39 Redpath Street, Ottawa.
Peter Barrett, father of James and John came to Bytown about 1827 and worked on the Rideau Canal till it was completed in 1832. Peter Barrett came to Ottawa from Castlebar, County Mayo, Ireland. By trade he was a shoemaker. When he came to this country he took the first thing which offered, which was the canal work.
One of the jobs which Col. By assigned to Peter Barrett was carrying the pay-money for the employees of the canal. The pay was nearly all in silver, mostly in American dollars. It was the boast of Peter Barrett that though he had carried many thousands of dollars on horseback long distances up the canal he never lost a dollar."
Mary SMITH b: ABT 1816 in Ireland
3 JUL 1831
in Notre Dame parish, Bytown, Upper Canada 3
- Note: The marriage record indicates that both Peter and Maria were from Long Island. Presumably, Peter was working on the Rideau Canal construction.
- Mary BARRETT b: ABT OCT 1833 in Upper Canada
- Ann BARRETT b: NOV 1835
- Eugenie BARRETT b: ABT 1836
- Bridget BARRETT b: 14 MAR 1839
- James BARRETT b: SEP 1841
- Elizabeth BARRETT b: ABT 1843
- Ellen BARRETT b: ABT 1845
- Thomas BARRETT b: ABT 1847
- Julia BARRETT b: 3 APR 1851 in Templeton, Quebec
- Peter BARRETT b: 4 MAR 1853 in Templeton, Quebec
- John BARRETT b: 24 JAN 1855 in Templeton, Quebec
- William Patrick BARRETT b: 26 FEB 1858
- Julia BARRETT b: ABT 1859
- Title: 1871 Census
- Title: Regroupement des Familles de Saint-Francois-de-Sales de Gatineau SGO 1988
- Title: Drouin Collection