Name: Ole ODEGAARD
Birth: 14 APR 1885 in Valdres, Norway
Death: 21 JAN 1969 in Thief River Falls, Minnesota
Burial: 10 MAY 1969 St. Pauli Cemetery, Thief River Falls, Minnesota
Note: no burials in winter months; funeral on 25 Jan 1969 at Trinity Lutheran Church
CONF: 11 JUN 1899 St. Pauli Church, Rocksbury Township, Pennington County, Minnesota
Change Date: 17 JAN 2008
1910 Census: River Falls Township, Pennington County, Minnesota: Ole (23), Amanda M. (22), Oscar A. (2). Living with Paul B. Paulson, a boarder of 26 years old.
1920 Census: River Falls Township, Pennington County, Minnesota: Ole (34), Amanda (32), Oscar A. (12), Morice A. (9), Walter O. (3, 5 months), Rubin P. (1, 5 months). also living with Peter Petersen (grandfather, 84, emigrated 1892, naturalized 1895) and Ole Petersen (father-in-law, 58, emigrated 1880, naturalized 1886), and Agnes Odegaard (sister, 18)
W. W. I Draft Registration Card lists him as living in Hazel, Pennington County, working as a storekeeper, postmaster, and grain buyer for Hanson Barzen. Also listed as depot custodian for the Soo Railroad Company at Hazel. He?s of medium height, medium build, brown eyes, and brown hair.
From Pennington County History (1976): About 1903 when the Soo Line Railroad came through, a land agent wanted grandfather to sell land for a town, so, this was done and land was plotted to streets and avenues such as North Central, Minneosta, 1st and Main which would become the town of Hazel. Dad (Ole Odegaard) gave up his farming, went to selling woolen goods and 1908 joined a partnership including Ole Peterson, Ole Odegaard and Paul Borgie and built the Hazel Mercantile Store. Hazel grew rapidly for a number of years, then declined until today is nothing. During those early years Dad was manager of Winton Nichols Lumberyard, of Hanson Barzen Elevator, Soo Line depot agent, postmaster and 1915 when Citizens Bank was built, Paul Borgie became assistant cashier. Father continud in the store, retired at age 70 and passed away at 73....
My father, Ole, had his early schooling as did the rest of the family. Five brothers went to the Cheerville School. They walked two miles with no roads, short term and only a chance for an eighth grade finish. Dad worked hard for the new school built in Hazel.
Father: Andrew (Anders) A. ODEGAARD b: 13 MAR 1857 in Ostre Slidre, Valdres, Norway
Mother: Marit A. KOLSTAD b: 25 MAR 1863 in Ostre Slidre, Valdres, Norway
Amanda M. PETERSON b: 5 JUN 1887 in Minnesota
- Oscar Albert ODEGAARD b: 26 SEP 1907 in Hazel, Pennington County, Minnesota c: 13 OCT 1907 in St. Pauli Church, Rocksbury Township, Minnesota
- Morris Alvin ODEGAARD b: 8 JAN 1911 in Minnesota c: 29 JAN 1911 in St. Pauli Church, Rocksbury Township, Pennington County, Minnesota
- Walter Olaf ODEGAARD b: 6 JUL 1916 in near Thief River Falls, Pennington County, Minnesota c: 30 JUL 1916 in St. Pauli Church, Rocksbury Township, Minnesota
- Reuben Peder ODEGAARD b: 28 JUL 1918 in near Thief River Falls, Pennington County, Minnesota c: 18 AUG 1918 in St. Pauli Church, Rocksbury Township, Minnesota
- Harvey Russel ODEGAARD b: 17 JUN 1921 in near Thief River Falls, Pennington County, Minnesota c: 14 JUL 1921 in St. Pauli Church, Rocksbury Township, Minnesota