Name: John PAINE
Given Name: John
Birth: 11 Feb 1789 in Fairfax, Culpepper Co., VA
Death: 28 Mar 1866 in Buncombe Co., NC
Burial: North Turkey Creek Cemetery, Buncombe Co., NC
"Father was a medium sized man, rather low of stature, five feet ten or eleven inches, weighing 165 pounds. A divided, or hair lip, otherwise was a very handsome man. He was a blacksmith by trade, and made bells in abundance. He was a very stout and active man, was hard to handle. He was very lively and loved sports and the chase. He was honest and strict in his dealing with men.
Change Date: 30 Nov 2001 at 21:14:43
He wore a smile rather than a frown. A true friend, one who never forgot a favor, very sympathetic, ordinarily mild and gentle, but when insulted or injured, was revengeful, fearless and determined. Father loved his family and friends with a devotion that unsurpasses. No sacrifice too great or toil too hard for him if necessity demanded it. While working in the shop one day a sliver or scale of hot iron flew in his left eye, causing him to lose it. Some years later he lost the sight of his right eye. He was blind ten years before his death.
He served an enlistment in the War of 1812. He was at Horseshoe. I believe he reached the scene first just as the battle closed. He helped build a fort at that place.
During the winter of 1852, he became very much interested with regard to his future welfare and professed faith in Christ, joined the church and was baptized the first Sunday in May, 1853 by me, S. F. Paine."
War Records File (John Paine W. O. 7480). He volunteered in Burke Co., NC and served from Feb. 1, 1814 to Sept. 4, 1814 as private in Capt. James Martin's Company of NC Militia, against the Creek Indians. He was discharged at Salisbury, NC.
Listed on the 1850 Buncombe Co., NC Census as:
Paine, John 61 Laborer b NC
Mary 54 b NC
Andrew L 27 Laborer NC
Daniel 20 Laborer NC
Amos 18 Laborer NC
S.F. 14 NC
Father: Robert PAINE b: 1745 in Spotsylvania Co., VA
Mother: Rachel LORD b: ABT 1750 in , VA
Mary "Polly" BRADBURN b: 6 Aug 1796 in Burke Co., NC
12 Apr 1810
in Burke Co., NC 1
- Thomas PAINE b: 7 Jan 1812 in Buncombe Co., NC
- Robert PAINE b: 29 Jul 1813 in Buncombe Co., NC
- Rachel PAINE b: Jan 1815 in Buncombe Co., NC
- Rebecca PAINE b: Jan 1815 in Buncombe Co.
- Isaac Elledge PAINE b: 28 Jan 1816 in Buncombe Co., NC
- Mary PAINE b: 7 Nov 1819 in Buncombe Co., NC
- John Franklin PAINE Jr. b: 10 Nov 1821 in Buncombe Co., NC
- Joseph Allen PAYNE b: 19 Sep 1822
- Anderson Lord PAINE b: 13 May 1824
- Frances PAINE b: 22 Oct 1826 in Buncombe Co., NC
- William PAINE b: 17 Nov 1829 in Buncombe Co., NC
- Female PAINE b: 1830
- Male PAINE b: 1830
- Daniel Alexander PAINE b: 8 Nov 1831 in Buncombe Co., NC
- Ambrose PAINE b: 10 Jul 1833 in Buncombe Co., NC
- Smith Ferguson "S. F." PAINE b: 22 Apr 1837 in Buncombe Co., NC
- Title: Burke Co., NC Marriage Records