Name: Thomas Forrest "Tom" LEWIS
Given Name: Thomas Forrest "Tom"
Nickname: Tom 1 2
Birth: 15 Jan 1871 in Swainsboro, Emanuel County, Georgia 1 2
Death: 18 Jul 1940 in Swainsboro, Emanuel County, Georgia 3 2
Burial: 19 Jul 1940 Swainsboro City Cemetery, Emanuel County, Georgia 3 2 4
Event: the Forest Blade
Obituary 19 Jul 1940 Emanuel County, Georgia
Thomas Forrest Lewis, Swainsboro
Change Date: 21 Oct 2011 at 18:25
SWAINSBORO, Ga., July 18 — Thomas Forrest Lewis, 69, died at his residence here early Thursday morning following a four days' illness. Mr. Lewis had been in ill health for several years and had retired from active business. He was a member of an old and distinguished family of Emanuel county, his ancestors being pioneers of the county and of Swainsboro. He was the son of the late Thomas W. Lewis and Mrs. Emma Moring Lewis, both of whom were natives and lifelong residents of the county.
The Lewis family is said to trace its descent to Betty Washington, the only sister of George Washington who married Captain Fielding Lewis, and whose home is a shrine in Fredericksburg, Va.
Mr. Lewis is survived by his wife, Mrs. Annie Bell Mason Lewis and by five daughters and four sons, Mrs. J. A. Warren of Midville, Mrs. O. A. Alexander of St. Louis Mo., Mrs. John Moore of Charlotte, N. C., Mrs. Hilton Riner of Summertown, and Miss Joyce Lewis of Swainsboro, George Lewis and Forrest Lewis of Swainsboro, Gene Lewis of Charlotte, N. C., and Kenneth Lewis of Glennville; and by one half-brother, Betrie Flanders of Wadley.
Funeral services will be held Friday morning at the Primitive Baptist Church at 11o'clock with Rev. Charles T. Durden, pastor of the Swainsboro Missionary Baptist Church in charge. Burial will be in the city cemetery. The pallbearers will be six nephers, Jottie Lewis, Dr. Johnnie Lewis, Jor Lewis, Ottie Lewis, H. C. Edenfield and Graham Coleman. The Swainsboro Funeral Home is in charge of arrangements.
From: The Forest Blade, Swainsboro, Georgia
Father: Thomas Munape LEWIS b: 26 Feb 1836 in Burke County, Georgia
Mother: Emeline Evelyn "Emma" MORING b: 13 Oct 1849 in Emanuel County, Georgia
Annie Belle "Anniebelle" MASON b: 10 Dec 1879 in Washington County, Georgia
- Married: 5
- Change Date:
18 Apr 2004
- Emily Evelyn LEWIS b: 29 Nov 1898 in Swainsboro, Emanuel County, Georgia
- Sarah LEWIS b: 20 Jul 1900 in Swainsboro, Emanuel County, Georgia
- Myrtle LEWIS b: 24 Oct 1902 in Swainsboro, Emanuel County, Georgia
- Forrest Thomas LEWIS b: 4 Oct 1904 in Swainsboro, Emanuel County, Georgia
- George Mason LEWIS b: 28 Mar 1907 in Swainsboro, Emanuel County, Georgia
- Mary Pearl LEWIS b: 27 Aug 1909 in Swainsboro, Emanuel County, Georgia
- Edwin Eugene "Gene" LEWIS b: 25 Nov 1912 in Swainsboro, Emanuel County, Georgia
- Julian Kenneth LEWIS b: 15 Jan 1915 in Swainsboro, Emanuel County, Georgia
- Ruth Hope LEWIS b: 19 Dec 1917 in Swainsboro, Emanuel County, Georgia
- Living LEWIS
- Title: Mason/Lewis/Moore/Wadill Research Records
Author: Wadill, Jo Anne Moore
Publication: [primary source] Neptune Beach, Florida, 2001.
Date: 21 Oct 2011
[Jo Anne (Moore) Wadill is the granddaughter of Thomas Forrest Lewis and Annie Belle (Mason) Lewis.]
- Title: Photograph of Tombstone (in possession of compiler)
Author: Bradford, Diane C., Compiler
Publication: [primary source] Georgia, 2000
- Title: "Thomas Forrest Lewis, Swainsboro," The Forest Blade, Mortuary Column
Publication: [primary source] Swainsboro, GA: 19 July 1940.
Date: 21 Oct 2011
- Title: Descendants of Dr. Benjamin Darius Smith
Author: Smith, DeSaussure Dugas, III "Dess", Compiler/Editor
Publication: [primary and secondary source] Georgia, 2000 email@example.com GEDCOM file (imported 9-18-2000) received from Dess Smith as an attachment to e-mail message dated 9-11-2000 to Diane Carrington Bradford.
Date: 18 Sep 2000
DeSaussure Dugas Smith, III "Dess" is a direct descendant of Dr. Benjamin Darius Smith and through him of Colby Smith of early Washington County, Georgia.
Page: GEDCOM from Dess Smith
- Title: Colby Smith and His Descendants
Author: Brantley, Gene D., Smith, Robert A., and Veal, Carllene S.
Publication: [primary and secondary source] Louisville, GA: The Colby Smith Family Publications, 1998
Date: 19 Sep 2000
The three authors are all direct descendants of Colby Smith and Anna Henry Smith of early Washington County, Georgia.
Page: p 794-95