Name: Petter Schmidt
Given Name: Petter
Birth: Bef 1667 in , , , GER
Death: Aft 1717 in Falun, Dalarna, Kopparberg, Sweden
Only 1 Smith household appears on 1717 Tax list of Falun, Sweden. It is headed by Petter Smitt, hatmaker, and boasts a wife, 3 sons, 2 daughters, and a maid. Not proven, but very likely the father of our Hans. Who do we know who can do research in old Swedish?
Change Date: 26 Mar 2014 at 08:38
Ingrid Uhlff of Uppsala, that's who. Letter of Aug 1997 from Ingrid to Peter Stebbins Craig inquired if there were known descendants to Hans and brother Frederick, brothers to her ancestor Peter--whose line, including her, remains in Sweden to this day. Letter passed on to me. Ingrid has done further research in Sweden in magistrate's records which record the births of all of the children of hatmaker Peter Smith, the maiden name of his wife (Huwalt), and the fact that Peter was but lately come from an unspecified place in Germany to Sweden to practice his trade.
Have 1717 and 1719 tax lists of Fahlun, plus a later court suit of the widow of Peter Smidt/Smitt/Schmidt suit found by Peter S. Craig). Come back and type in full.
Hans Jorgen Smidt was b. 3 Nov 1696 Falun, Kobbarberg, Sweden. His parents being Petter Smidt & Magdalena Huwalt probably a daughter of Hindrich Huwalt because she was referred to as Magdalena Hindrichsdotter Huwalt. (Source: Svenska Kyrkan, Falun, Kristine Forsamling, Kyrkobocker, 1642-1894., pg 41, Family History Library Film 221122. Note: The records were for the Kristine Church in Falun, Kopparberg, Sweden. I have a photo copy from the church record.) Hans Jorgen md. Maria Stalcop abt 1719 at Falun, Kopparberg, Sweden. Maria b. in 1696 in New Castle Co., DE. New Castle Co. was originally in PA & did not become a state until 1787. Her parents were Peter Stalcop & Katherine Peterson. She was md. 1st) to John Cornelius Van De Ver. In 1714, she & her husband, John went to Sweden with her sister Christina who was md to Rev. Ericus Tobias Bjork. Ericus Tobias Bjork was the pastor of Old Swedes Church in New Castle Co. where the Stalcops went to church. He was called back to Sweden to be Provost Magister of the Swedish Church at Falun, Sweden (Portraits of the Founders by Charles Knowles Bolton, pp 221-223) While in Falun, Maria's husband, John Cornelius Van De Ver died and Maria md. Hans Jorgen Smidt. He was a hatter in both Sweden & Delaware. He and Maria received a passport issued on 29 Jan 1720 in Stockholm to come to America. (Passport located in Sweden by Ingrid Ulff of Uppsala, Sweden. Ingrid sent a copy of the passport to me, Dorothy Tuttle) Shortly after Hans Jorgen & Maria Smidt moved to New Castle Co., DE where they were listed among the communicants of Holy Trinity (Old Swedes) Church in Wilmington, DE on 9 Oct 1720. In the records of Old Swedes church, he was referred to as Hans Smith, Hans Smidt, Hans Smit as you can tell by the recording of his children's births.
1. Peter Smith b 12 Oct 1720 New Castle Co., DE
(Records of Old Swedes Church, pg 200) as s/o Hans Jurgen Smith & his wife Maria. Peter md Elizabeth Van De Ver abt 1745. Peter d. 8 Jan 1747/8 age 27.
2. John Smith b. 28 Dec 1722 New Castle Co., DE (Old Swedes Church, p 387 as Johan Smith s/o Hans Georgen Smit and his wife Mary. John md Anna Springer 1744 in New Castle Co., DE. He d abt 1753 New Castle Co., DE.
3. Tobias Smith b. 16 Mar 1725 New Castle Co., DE (Vol 3 Delaware Genealogical Society Journal, pg 19) Parents: Hans & Maria Smith. He md. Mary McDonald abt 1748 probably in Augusta Co., VA. dau of Bryan McDonald & Catherine Robinson. Tobias d 1781 in Washington Co., VA.
4. Frederick Smith b. 19 Sep 1727 New Castle Co., DE (Old Swedes Church, p 302) Parents: Hans Smith & Maria. He md. Margaret Sayers (Virginia History Marriage Register of Augusta County Marriages by John Vogt & T. William Kethley, Jr., pg 188)
5. Andreas Smith b. 14 Jan 1731 New Castle Co., DE (Old Swedes Church, p 360) Parents Hans and Maria Smith. He md Sarah Gregg 5 Aug 1755 in Old Swedes Church.
6. Ericus Smith b. 31 May 1734 New Castle Co., DE (Old Swedes Church, pg 360) Parents: Hans Georg Smitt and his wife Maria. He md. Brita Anderson 22 Nov 1753 Old Swedes Church. He d. 1792 Russell Co., VA.
7. Jonas Smith b. 21 Nov 1737 New Castle Co., DE (Old Swedes Church, pg 371) Bur. 16 Nov 1740
8. Maria Smith b. 25 Sep 1740 New Castle Co., DE (Old Swedes Church pg 305) Parents: Hans & Maria Smit. Bur 18 Oct 1740 (Old Swedes Church Bk 2, p 235)
Hans Jorgen Smidts Parents:
Petter Smidt, b abt 1664 Germany md Magdalena Hindrichsdotter Huwalt or Magdalena Huwalt dau. of Hindrich Huwalt. (Ingrid Ulff of Uppsala, Sweden sent me information about this family) Petter Smidt was a hatter. He applied for permission to carry on a hatmaker's trade at Falun in 1688. Smidt & Huwalt are not Swedish names but German. Petter d about 1717 in Falun, Sweden.
Children: (Information sent to me by Ingrid Ulff who is a descendant of Petter Schmidt, Jr.)
1. Petter Schmidt, Jr b abt 1689 Falun, Kopparberg, Sweden. He md Brita Melkersdotter abt 1717 at Falun.
2. Fredric Smidt b abt 1691 Falun, Kobbarberg, Sweden md. Christina Gustafsdotter abt 1718 Falun. He was also a hatmaker. He & Christina left Sweden in about 1722 & were communicants of Holy Trinity Church (Old Swedes) in New Castle Co. DE on 24 Mar 1723. Frederic later settled in Philadelphia.
3. Hendrik Smit bapt. 31 Jan 1695 Falun, Kobbarberg, Sweden
4. Hans Jorgen Smidt above
5. Balsar Smidt b. 2 Apr 1700 Falun, Kopparberg, Sweden & bur. 7 Mar 1701
6. Magdalena Smidt b. 7 Aug 1702 Falun, Kopparberg, Sweden d 1750
Rachel Smith who md. Joseph Hatfield 28 Oct 1779 Washington Co., VA was b. abt 1759 New Castle Co., DE & d. 19 May 1858 Scott Co., TN. (She gave her age as 84 on 11 Nov 1843 when she gave a deposition on a pension application of Jane Smith, a sister-in-law) Rachel Smith was a daughter of Ericus Smith & Brita or Bridget Anderson. Proof that she was their daughter is when property of Ericus Smith was sold in Russell Co., VA by Ericus & Bridget (Anderson) Smith's children which included: Ericus Smith & Rosanna his wife; Andrew Smith & Rachel his wife; Ephraim Hatfield and Mary his wife; Joseph Hatfield and Rachel his wife. The land was sold to another son Ely Smith & Jane his wife. (Russell Co., VA Deeds dated 21 Aug 1797)
I hope this information is helpful to all. Dorothy Tuttle email@example.com
Magdalena Hindrichdotter Huwalt
- Change Date:
23 Jun 2012
- Petter Schmidt b: 1689-1690 in Fahlun, Kopparberg, Sweden
- Frederick Smith b: 1691-1692 in Fahlun, Kopparberg, Sweden
- Hendrik Schmidt c: 31 Jan 1695 in Fahlun, Kopparberg, Sweden
- Hans Jurgen Smith b: 3 Nov 1696 in Falun, Dalarna, Kopparberg, Sweden
- Balsar Schmidt b: 2 Apr 1700 in Fahlun, Kopparberg, Sweden
- Magdalena Schmidt b: 7 Aug 1702 in Fahlun, Kopparberg, Sweden