Name: Robert or Robin L. FERGUSON
Given Name: Robert or Robin L.
Change Date: 15 SEP 2008
_SDATE: 1 JUL 1764 in Kings Mountain, South Carolina
Death: 18 FEB 1826 in , Haywood, North Carolina
Burial: Haywood County, North Carolina Crabtree Baptist Ch Cem
Ancestral File #: KNWJ-S6J
Name: Page 1
Robert Ferguson b. 1764 is a 5th Great Grandfather of Vern Taylor.
Note: "The Ferguson Family: The Story of James Wiley Ferguson and Mary Elizabeth Jones" states: "But the boy, Robin, had now become a man and met and married Frances Love, who had come from her native land, Ireland, a few years after Robin had played the part of the Good Samaritan at the Battle of Kings Mountain. There is a legend about Frances Love that will perhaps add interest to the story . Frances Love was twelve years old when she left Ireland with her parents bound for America. On the way over, a terrible storm arose and their ship was driven southward to the Island of Jamaica. It was so hot there that the pitch with which the boat was put together began to melt. The wind soon changed and the light craft was driven north and landed, after a time, in South Carolina. Robin Ferguson and his wife, Frances Love Ferguson, left South Carolina in the latter part of the 18th century and located in what is now known as Spring Creek in Madison County, North Carolina. There they remained for some years, and later moved into what is now Haywood County a few years prior to 1800, In the cemetery of the Crabtree Baptist church, Crabtree township, Haywood County, there stands a monument erected August 14, 1926 by the descendants of the first family of Fergusons that came to Haywood county. Upon the monument is this inscription: Robert (or Robin) Ferguson, who was also settled here prior to 1800 was also of Scot descent, having come from Glascard and settled first in (now) Madison County, NC and later on Rush Fork creek. He married Frances (Fannie) Love, a native of Ireland. An old family record gives the birth of Robin Ferguson as 1764, and his death as February 18, 1826, and Frances Love Ferguson's birth as 1768, and her death as October 16, 1858. It also lists the children of Frances and Robin as : Robert, Andrew, Thomas, William, Samuel, Polly, Nellie.
1850 Census York Co. South Carolina
Ferguson, Ann Page 262 York Dist.
Ferguson, Benjamin Page 185 York Dist.
Ferguson, Leroy Page 257
Ferguson, William Page 200 York DIst.
1830 Census York Co. South Carolina
Ferguson, James Page 362
Ferguson, William COL. Page 380
1810 Census York Co. South Carolina
Ferguson, Robert Page 271
Ferguson, William Page 268
1800 Ferguson, Robert Page 960 10010-00010-00
(one boy under 10, one bet 26-44, one female bet 26-44,
Ferguson, William Page 960 1 1010-10100-00
(one boy under 10, one 1 0-15, one 26-44, one female under 10, one 16-25)
1. Andrew (Andy) - Iron Duff Township (b. 7/ 16/1800) Married Rachel Jones (sister of Mary Jones)
2. Robert, Jr. - moved to Cherokee County (born about 1802). Married Rhoda Lovingood.
3. John - Haywood County (born around 1804) married Elizabeth Bradshaw.
4. William (Billy) - Lower Crabtree (born April 13, 180 7) married Ruth Gibson
5. Thomas (Tommy) Rush Fork Community (b. May 15, 1808), married Mary Jones (sister of Rachel Jones).
6. Jimmy - died when young
7. Eleanor (Nellie) Crabtree Township (b May 13, 1813) (Twin) married Steven White
8. Mary (Polly) - Panther Creek (b May 13, 18 13) Twin) married Solomon Rhea
9. Samuel (Sam) - Rush Fork Community (original Ferguson home place in NC) b.June 2, 1814.Married Matilda S. Lovingood (T ilda).
From: "searcy county library"
Thank you for answering. Yes, I have seen all that. We are trying to prove or disprove this material. The Love part is the Love family arrived in 1791 and Francis would have been according to the census about 23 years old at the time. The part about the ship getting lost does not show up in letter that were written at that time (1791) from relatives in Ireland.
The part about where they live , the oldest son Andrew was born in SC and the rest of the children were born in NC. I have found no proof that Robert was in or near Spring Creek as of this date. I have yet to find a deed to the land he owned in Haywood County NC.
If you find anything on the deed please let us know. And if I find any thing I will let you know.
Father: William FERGUSON b: ABT 1726 in , Ayrshire, Scotland
Mother: Eleanor WHITE b: ABT 1742 in , , , Scotland
Frances LOVE b: 1768 in Strabane, Tyrone, Ireland
in , York, South Carolina
- Robert Love FERGUSON b: ABT 1801 in , York, South Carolina
- Andrew Fitzpatrick FERGUSON b: 6 JUL 1802 in , York, South Carolina
- John FERGUSON b: ABT 1804 in , York, South Carolina
- Eleanor FERGUSON b: 1805
- William FERGUSON b: 13 APR 1807 in , , South Carolina
- Thomas FERGUSON b: 1808
- George FERGUSON b: ABT 1810
- Mary FERGUSON b: 1813
- Samuel FERGUSON b: 2 JUN 1814 in , Haywood, North Carolina
- Abbrev: FamilySearch