Name: unrelated U.S. Mormon BATTALION
Given Name: unrelated U.S. Mormon
Change Date: 11 MAY 2014
Name: Page 1
Name: Page 2
Name: Page 3
Ancestral File #: 0000-00
Name: Page 4
Title: USMB 50th Reunion
Title: 1846 War uniforms
Mormons have been making American history for a long time. It should be remembered.
Through its epic march, the U.S. Mormon Battalion helped secure California from Mexico. They are honored for serving their country. They earned needed funds to help destitute immigrants cross the plains to Utah. The Battalion forged a wagon road from Santa Fe to the Pacific Ocean, another from San Diego to San Francisco, and a new route over the Sierra Nevadas that was used by 50,000 gold seekers entering California.
They built buildings, dug wells, and built an industrial base of flour and saw mills. They were there when gold was discovered at Sutter's Mill. See the James S. Brown history of the California gold discovery. They stayed and finished their projects instead of leaving for the gold fields. They changed the fate of the American West. Many of their stories are contained in their general notes. Of particular interest are the histories of Elisha Averett, William and Melissa Corey, and Elisha Smith. Search the Mormon Battalion roster in the LDS Historical readme file general events list, to see those members included in this database.
Those Battalion members listed here are those who have not been researched, or whose families do not as yet have a link to someone in the LDS historical database.
These are the Battalion members who are in danger of being forgotten. For some, only their names remain.
If you have information or connect to any one of these Battalion members, please contact me. ~Vern Taylor
The US Mormon Battalion was commanded by the regular US Army of the West. Non LDS church members who were associated with the US Mormon Battalion as command, staff, or support were:
Stephen Watts KEARNY, born 30 Aug 1794 as Gen. of the Mexican War
Willard Preble HALL, born 9 May 1820 as Legal Aid to General Kearny
Col. Philip St. George Cooke b. 13 Jun 1809 Leesburg, Virginia
Col. James D. Allen b. 1806 died 1846 Fort Leavenworth on the trek
Major Jeremiah Huddleston CLOUD born abt 1807 US Army paymaster
Capt. William M.D. McKissack b. Aug. 23, 1812 NJ, QuarterMaster
Lt. George J. Stoneman b. 8 Aug 1822 Busti New York, QuarterMaster
LCL Andrew Jackson Smith b. 28 Apr 1815 Wrightstown, Pennsylvania
John QUIGLEY, born 1807 rank: Bugler on Battalion Staff?
George B. SANDERSON, born 1800 as Surgeon
Stephen G. FOSTER, born about 1820 as interpreter
Antione LEROUX born after 1800 as a guide
Jean Baptiste CHARBONNEAU, born 11 Feb 1805 as a guide
Phillip THOMPSON born after 1800 as a guide
Paulino WEAVER born about 1798 as a guide
- John ALLEN b: AFT 1810
- Addison BAILEY b: ABT 1821 in , , Ohio
- Henry A. BOWING b: 5 AUG 1829
- William W. BOYD b: ABT 1817
- William BUSH b: AFT 1800
- Samuel George CHAPIN b: AFT 1810
- John Q. A. COVIL b: AFT 1810
- Walter L. DAVIS b: 23 MAR 1821 in , , Ontario, Canada
- William EVANS b: 1 MAR 1818 in , Herefordshire, England
- Ezra FATOUTE b: 24 DEC 1804 in Scoch Plains, Essex, New Jersey
- Thomas B. FINLAY b: AFT 1810
- Philander FLETCHER b: 12 FEB 1823 in , Tioga, Pennsylvania?
- Thomas GIBSON b: AFT 1810
- Gilbert R. GILBERT b: AFT 1810
- Thomas H. GILBERT b: 10 AUG 1817 in Perth, Lanark, Ontario, Canada
- Eli Buckner HEWITT b: 27 JUL 1826 in , Brown, Ohio
- John HICKMOTT b: 1 AUG 1824 in , Kent, England
- Henry Mitchell JOHNSON b: 12 JUL 1821 in Cleaves Twp, Dearborn, Indiana
- Thomas KIRK b: 18 MAY 1815 in , Staffordshire, England
- Maxie MAXWELL b: AFT 1800 in Montreal, Ile De Montreal, Quebec, Canada
- James (T.) MOWREY b: 28 NOV 1828
- Christian NOLER b: 1813 in , , , Germany
- George PARKE b: AFT 1800
- Peter F. RICHARDS b: 6 APR 1808 in Edinburgh, Midlothian, Scotland
- William J. ROBINSON b: 28 FEB 1828 in Dublin, Dublin, Ireland
- George B. SANDERSON b: 1800 in , , , England
- James A. SCOTT b: ABT 1829
- Rebecca SMITH b: 5 DEC 1815 in Niagara County, New York
- Andrew J. STEERS b: ABT 1828 in , Clinton, New York
- Phillip THOMPSON b: AFT 1800
- Solomon TINDELL b: ABT 1801 in Cornwall, Cornwall, England
- John D. WATTS b: 4 JUN 1810 in Colne, Huntington, England
- Benjamin WEST b: 13 SEP 1810 in , , New York
- Matthew WILCOX b: AFT 1800
- Charles WRIGHT b: 26 AUG 1828 in Cheshire, England
- Robert QUIGLEY b: 1816 in Kirtland, Geauga (Lake), Ohio
- Abbrev: Database of the Mormon Battalion
Title: Carl V. Larson, compiler, Database of the Mormon Battalion (251 West SR 198, Salem, Utah, 84653: U.S. Mormon Battalion Inc., Second Editon 1997)est SR 198, Salem, Utah, 84653: U.S. Mormon Battalion Inc., Second Editon 1997.
Name: Footnoteest SR 198, Salem, Utah, 84653: U.S. Mormon Battalion Inc., Second Editon 1997)
Name: Bibliographyest SR 198, Salem, Utah, 84653: U.S. Mormon Battalion Inc., Second Editon 1997.
- Abbrev: Family Tree File Vern Taylor
Title: Family Tree File Vern Taylor stanleyscribe @ yahoo.com
- Abbrev: LDS Historical database by Vern Taylor
Title: LDS Historical database compiled by Vern Taylor Dec 2003
- Abbrev: International Genealogical Index (R)
Title: The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, International Genealogical Index (R) (Copyright (c) 1980, 2002, data as of January 1, 2007)ical Index (R)ical Index (R). Copyright (c) 1980, 2002, data as of January 1, 2007.
Name: Footnoteical Index (R) (Copyright (c) 1980, 2002, data as of January 1, 2007)
Name: ShortFootnoteical Index (R)
Name: Bibliographyical Index (R). Copyright (c) 1980, 2002, data as of January 1, 2007.
Name: Family History Library
Salt Lake City, Utah 84150 USA
Name: Family History Library
Salt Lake City, UT 84150 USA