Name: Ambrose BREWER
Given Name: Ambrose
Change Date: 8 AUG 2016
THE AMBROSE BREWER FAMILY 1753-1855 First Edition 1962 Printed in
_PRIM: Y ABT 1753 in Brunswick County, Virginia, United States
_PRIM: Y ABT 1855 in Hancock County, Tennessee
the U.S.A. Price $1.00 Per Copy Printed By The Sun Publishing Company, Inc.
Pineville, Kentucky By James F. Bowman Hopkinsville, Ky.
Dr. Clinton Congleton Secretary-Treasurer Brewer Family Reunion Assn.
Ambrose Brewer (1753)------------1-24
Joab Brewer (`1780's) Son of Ambrose---------1
Frederick Brewer (1780's) S/o Ambrose-------2
Howell Cobb Brewer (1790) S/o Ambrose-----2-3
Joab Brewer S/o Howell C Brewer-----3
Ambrose Brewer (1815) S/o Howell C. Brewer----4
Nancy (Brewer) Seals (1816) D/o Howell C. Brewer------5
Mary "Polly" (Brewer) Cope (1818) D/o Howell C. Brewer-----5
Howell P. Brewer (1826) S/o Howell C. Brewer---6
Sarah "Sally" (Brewer) Elrod (1823) D/o Howell C.Brewer- ---6
James M. Brewer (1825) S/o Howell C. Brewer---7
George Brewer S/o Howell C. Brewer------7
William Brewer (1829) S/o Howell C. Brewer----8
Orville Brewer (1831) S/o Howell C. Brewer----9
Martha "Patsy" (Brewer) Isaacs (1834), D/o Howell C. BreweR---9
Nicholas W. Brewer (1839) S/o Howell C. Brewer-----10
John T. Brewer (1840) S/o Howell C. Brewer-----10-11
Volentine S. Brewer (1840) S/o Howell C. Brewer---11
Morris Brewer (1846) S/o Howell C. Brewer---12
Emily J. (Brewer) McCollum (1848) D/o Howell C. Brewer--------13
Prettyman Brewer (1790's) S/o Ambrose---13
Ambrose Brewer (1798) S/o Ambrose----14
Millenton Brewer (1800) S/o Ambrose--14
Pleasant Brewer (1800) S/o Ambrose----15
Lucinda Brewer D/o Ambrose---15
Ona Brewer D/o Ambrose-----15
Biographical Sketch of Howell Brewer---16-17
Miscellaneous Brewer Data-------18-19
Deed Index, Hawkins Co, TN------20
Census Records of Brewers--------21-23
Marriage Records of Brewers-------23-24
There has been only one published record of the BREWER family in
America. <Remember, this was printed in 1962, and, that there is some
controversy over the errors re: HOUSE OF BREWER-gbj>
In 1947 Edward Denton Brewer, 610 National Bank of Tulsa Building, Tulsa, OK, published THE HOUSE OF BREWER*. This book starts with Thomas BREWER who
lived from 1540 to 1610 and who married a Miss Drake. His son John, it is said, was born in England in 1565 and died in VA in 1635. He married Mary Grove and his will was probated in London, England. John, his wife and three children came to America shortly after 1624. He was a member of the House of Burgesses in 1629. His children were John, Frances, Mary, Margaret and Roger. This last John, according to this source, was the
father of George BREWER who settled in Brunswick County, Virginia and died there in 1744 leaving his second wife, Alice and a host of progeny. It is through his son, Henry, that the author claimed his origin and in his book he dealt at length with that branch of the family. In 1936, the late Warren Harold Brewer of Terre Haute, Indiana, prepared a mimeographed paper bound manuscript of the Brewer family. He began with a Thomas Brewer and took up his descendents. This record is not of any great interest to the
majority of the Howell C. BREWER clan.
The first wife of George BREWER was Sarah Lanier. Mrs. Royal Eason Ingersoll, 1202 Indiana Avenue, LaPorte, IN, has done much research on the Lanier family and has touched upon the Sarah (Lanier) BREWER branch.
Sarah was the d/o John Lanier and his wife Sarah (Edmunds) Lanier was the d/o William Edmunds and his wife Elizabeth Edmunds. It is from Howell Edmunds, s/o this William, that the name of Howell seems to have gotten into the BREWER family.
Three of the sons of George BREWER, that is Nicholas, Howell and Lanier, moved south and settled in North Carolina. All available information points toward Ambrose Brewer, father of Howell Cobb BREWER, as being a s/o either Howell or Lanier.
Several people as of this date are devoting considerable effort to research on the BREWER family. Two of these stand out among the others, namely, Mrs. Janice B. Reddin, 714 North Main Street, Findlay, Ohio, and Mr. L. D. Brewer, 1811 East 11th Street, Long Beach 13, California.
Some members of the Howell Cobb BREWER family, however, are becoming authorities in their own right. Any inquiry about this family should be directed to Dr. Clinton Congleton, Barbourville, Kentucky. He is Secretary and Treasurer of the annual Howell Cobb BREWER family reunion and will either answer any question received or refer it to the best source.
I. Ambrose BREWER b in VA in 1753 d in TN in or after the year 1854.
1. Joab BREWER (1780's)
2. Fredrick BREWER (1780's) m-Lydia (___)
3. Howell Cobb BREWER (1790) m-1st (___) Short; 2nd (___);
3rd Mary "Polly" BREWER
4. Prettyman BREWER (1790's)
5. Ambrose BREWER (1798) 1st (___) 2nd (___)
6. Millenton BREWER (1800)
7. Pleasant BREWER (1800) m-Elizabeth Seals
8. Lucinda BREWER
9. Ona BREWER
It is believed that the children shown above belonged to the family of Ambrose. It is suspected that there were others. Tradition in one branch of the family has it that Ambrose had twelve boys and this source named a George and a Samuel that are not included here. The 1830 United States Census of Hawkins Co, TN show him with a family of young children which suggests that he may have reared the second family.
1. Joab Brewer b NC in the 1780's S/o Ambrose BREWER:
10. Isam BREWER (1806) m-Sarah "Sally" Seals
11. Marshall BREWER (1810)** m-Sarah Light
12. Brackston BREWER (1814) m-Mary (___)
13. Oliver BREWER (1817) m-Elizabeth Louisa Drennan
14. Samuel Russell BREWER (1821) m-Mary (___)
15. Moab BREWER (1822) m-Elizabeth (___)
16. Levi BREWER m-Sarah "Sally" Johnston
17. Joab H. BREWER (5 Aug 1818) m-Catherine Sheard
18. Thomas BREWER m-Anna White
The names of Joab BREWER's children as shown above, have been taken from several sources and are given with uncertainty. There could very well have been other children of Joab and likewise, some listed here could very well belong in another family. This list is, however, from the information now  available the best that can be offered.
2. Frederick BREWER: b in the 1780's d in the 1830's S/o Ambrose BREWER:
M-Lydia (___) b 1785 and d aft 1850
19. Isra BREWER (1820) m-Nancy (___)
20. Frederick BREWER (1825) m-Sarah (___)
21. Lydia BREWER m-Sampson Williams
Census records suggest that Frederick had three sons and four daughters.
3. Howell Cobb BREWER S/o Ambrose BREWER: Born in Moore Co, NC 20 Oct 1790 d Sturgeon, Owsley Co, KY 19 Apr 1886.
Married 1st Moore Co, NC 10 Sep 1810, Nancy Louisa Short d Hawkins Co, TN 22 Apr 1834
Children: 1st marriage:
26. Joab BREWER
27. Ambrose BREWER (1815) m-1st Susan Cope
2nd Lucinda Swaringer
28. Nancy BREWER (1816) m-Samuel Seals
29. Mary "Polly" BREWER (1818) m-Micajah Cope
30. Howell Pettus BREWER (1826) m-Elizabeth Barger
31. Sarah "Sally" BREWER (1823) m-James Elrod
32. James M. BREWER (1825) m-1st _______
m-3rd Mrs. Rose (W.) Helton
33. George BREWER
34. William BREWER (1929) m-1st Elizabeth Cole
m-2nd Mary "Polly" Neeley
35. Orville BREWER (1831) m-Marinda Bowling
36. Martha "Patsy" BREWER (1834) m-Sylvester Isaacs
Married 2nd in Hawkins Co TN, 12 Sep 1834 to Mary Cope. No children were b to this union and she d 16 Jun 1837.
Married 3rd in Hawkins Co, TN, 3 Sep 1838 to Mary "Polly" Wolfe. She was b TN in 1800, died at Sturgeon, Owsley Co, KY, 2 Jun 1896. She was the d/o George Wolfe and Polly _____.
Children from 3rd marriage:
37. Nicholas Wolfe BREWER (1839) m-Mary A. Hudson
38. John Tyler BREWER (1840) m-Martha Culton
39. Volentine Sevier BREWER (1842) m-Dorinda McLeod
40. Daniel Pinkerton Morris BREWER m-Lucy Wilson (1846)
41. Emily Juelma BREWER (1848) m-Daniel McCollum, Jr.
26. Joab BREWER S/o Howell Cobb BREWER Gs/o Ambrose BREWER:
Probably b in Moore Co, NC.
42. John C. "Black Snake" BREWER m-Miss Pickett
43. Orpha BREWER m-Alvis Wolfe
44. James BREWER
45. Susan BREWER m-James Lyons
The above children are listed with reluctance. Uncertain tradition is the only basis for this recording. A Joab BREWER who was the proper age to have been this one was married to Lucy Slatton. He apparently was in the War Creek section in 1840 but left before 1850.
27. Ambrose BREWER S/o Howell Cobb BREWER Gs/o Ambrose BREWER Born in Hawkins Co TN in 1815 d in AR. Married 1st in Hawkins Co, TN to Susan Cope who was b TN in 1817. She was the d/o James Cope.
Children: 1st marriage:
46. Lucinda BREWER (1837)
47. John BREWER (1839) m-Ollie Dalton
48. James BREWER (1841)
49. William BREWER (1843)
50. Elizabeth BREWER (1845) m-1st John Imes;
2nd Mr. Barker
51. George BREWER (1848) m-Susan F.
52. Esther BREWER m-Mr. Greenup
53. Ambrose "Bug" BREWER (1857) m-Marena Farris
54. Pleasant BREWER m-Hannah C. Anderson
55. Micajah BREWER m-Adaline Eubank
56. Howell BREWER
Married 2nd in Pulaski Co, KY, 11 Feb 1876 to Lucinda Swaringer
Children: 2nd marriage:
57. Susan BREWER
58. Malissa BREWER
59. Henry BREWER
60. Samuel BREWER
28. Nancy BREWER D/o Howell Cobb BREWER Gs/o Ambrose BREWER: Born in Hawkins Co, TN 4 Dec 1816 d TN in Apr 1891. M-Hawkins Co, TN 4 Jul 1832 to Samuel Seals who was b in Hawkins Co, TN.
61. Pleasant Seals (1833)
62. Dica Seals (1833)
63. Lucinda Seals (1836)
64. Elizabeth Seals (1839)
65. Mary Seals (1841)
66. Zana Seals (1843)
67. Sarah Seals (1845)
68. Nancy Seals (1847)
When Nancy d in 1891 she left eleven living children. She had six children who preceded her in death.
29. Mary "Polly" BREWER d/o Howell Cobb BREWER Gd/o Ambrose BREWER: Born in Hawkins Co, TN in 1818, died at Annville, Jackson Co, KY in 1910. Married in Hawkins Co, TN to Micajah Cope who was b in Hawkins Co, TN in 1814 and d at Annville, Jackson Co, KY 1887.
72. George Cope (1835) m-1st Jane (___)
2nd Amie Barrett
73. Millie Cope (1839) m-Dawson Lamb
74. Nancy Cope (1841) m-Joshua Wolfe
75. Sarah "Sally" Cope (1843) m-Alfred York
76. Caleb Cope (1845) m-Deborah Moore
77. Pleasant Cope (1850) m-Minerva Green
78. Lydia Cope (1851) m-William Truett
79. Fannie Cope (1851) married John Moore
80. James M. Cope (1856) never married
81. Howell Cope (1859) m-Margaret Wilson
30. Howell Pettus BREWER S/o Howell Cobb BREWER Gs/o Ambrose BREWER: Born in Hawkins Co, TN in 1826 d at Bald Rock, Laurel Co, KY abt 1892. Married probably in Perry Co, KY to Elizabeth Barger who was b in Perry Co, KY and d at Bald Rock, Laurel Co, KY about 1892. Elizabeth was the d/o Abraham Barger & Mary Bowling.
82. George BREWER m-Arkie Hensley
83. Hannah BREWER m-Robert Johnson
84. Mary "Polly" BREWER m-William Burns
85. Justice BREWER m-Sylvania Coldiron
86. Marinda BREWER m-1st Marion Combs
2nd Andrew Hensley
87. Sarah "Sally" BREWER m-Madison Hensley
88. James BREWER m-Minerva BREWER
89. Orvile H. BREWER m-Charity Coldiron
90. Martha BREWER m-Granville Rogers
91. Nancy J. BREWER m-William T. Holt
92. Elizabeth BREWER m-Silas Hoskins
Howell Pettus BREWER has a dau born out of wedlock whom he raised in his home with his other children. She used the name Elizabeth BREWER and was married to Silas Hoskins. She was the d/o a Miss Brewster.
31. Sarah "Sally" BREWER D/o Howell Cobb BREWER Gd/o Ambrose BREWER
Born in Hawkins Co, TN 1823. m-James Elrod, b in TN 1823.
93. Amanda Elrod (1847)
94. Martha Elrod (1849)
32. James M. BREWER S/o Howell Cobb BREWER Gs/o Ambrose BREWER: Born in Hawkins Co, TN 1825. Married 1st to (___)
Children: 1st marriage:
99. Micajah BREWER (1857) m-1st Marinda Sutton
2nd Julia A. Steele
Married 2nd to (___):
Children: 2nd marriage:
101. James Madison BREWER (1986) m-Ellen Honeycutt
102. Landon C. BREWER m-Martha BREWER
Married 3rd in Laurel Co, KY 25 Apr 1890 to Rose (Wells) Helton
Children: 3rd marriage:
103. Chester BREWER m-Ida Bolton
104. George BREWER
105. Fred BREWER
33. George BREWER S/o Howell Cobb BREWER Gs/o Ambrose BREWER: No information on George
34. William BREWER S/o Howell Cobb BREWER Gs/o Ambrose BREWER: b Hawkins Co, TN 1829 d at Sturgeon, Owsley Co, KY.
Married: 1st to Elizabeth Cole b 1839 in KY. he was the d/o John & Margaret Cole.
Children: 1st marriage:
112. John "Ring Neck" BREWER (1855) m-Nan Venable
113. Nan BREWER (1857) m-Jed Bowles
114. Howell BREWER (1859) died in infancy
Married 2nd in Owsley Co, KY to Mary "Polly" Neeley d/o H.J. & Jane Neeley.
Children: 2nd marriage:
115. Patrick BREWER (1866) m-Miss Spivey
116. Lafayette BREWER (1867) m-Lucy Emily Gibson
117. Margaret BREWER (1868) m-James Welch
118. Louann BREWER (1871) m-Mr. Metcalf
119. Elijah BREWER (1874) never married
120. Daniel BREWER (1875) m-Mattie Isaacs
121. Rhoda BREWER (1878) m-Flem Roach
122. William BREWER (1880) married:
123. Newell BREWER m-Sally Isaacs
124. Nicholas BREWER m-Miss. Pritchard
125. James BREWER m-Anna Wolfe
35. Orville BREWER S/o Howell Cobb BREWER Gs/o Ambrose BREWER: Born in Hawkins Co, TN 9 Dec 1831 d at Point Pleasant, TX 15 Oct 1924. Married Marinda Bowling in Breathitt Co, KY 13 Mar 1851. Marinda d in TX between 1889 and 1915. She was the d/o George Bowling & Phoeba Lewis.
126. George W. BREWER (1852)
127. Pleasant BREWER (1855) died in infancy
128. Lucinda BREWER (1856)
36. Martha "Patsy" BREWER D/o Howell Cobb BREWER Gd/o Ambrose BREWER: Born in Hawkins Co TN 9 Jan 1834 d at Elk Lick, Owsley Co, KY 5 Oct 1918. Married Sylvester Isaacs in Owsley Co, KY 2 Jun 1853. Sylvester was b in Owsley Co, KY 13 May 1831 and d in Owsley Co KY 29 Feb 1916. He was the s/o Elijah Isaacs & Sally Bowman.
129. Sarah Isaacs (1854) m-Zachariah Hall
130. Henry Isaacs (1857) m-Alpha Scott
131. James B. Isaacs (1858) m-Sally Flanery
132. Mary Isaacs (1860) m-Daniel Mainous
133. Preston "Bud" Isaacs (1863) m-1st Josie Rowlett
2nd Tressie Jackson
134. Orville B. Isaacs (1865) never married
135. Margaret E. Isaacs (1867) m-Rufus Jackson
136. Emily B. Isaacs (1870) m-Joseph Blackwell Scott
137. Daniel M. Isaacs (1874) died in infancy
138. Martha Isaacs (1877) m-William Hamilton
37. Nicholas Wolfe BREWER S/o Howell Cobb BREWER Gs/o Ambrose BREWER: Born in Hawkins Co, TN 12 Jun 1839 died at Sturgeon, Owsley Co, KY 27 Jun 1919. Married in Clay Co, KY 19 Jan 1864 to Mary "Polly" A. Hudson b 9 Oct 1846 in Clay Co, KY. She d at Sturgeon, Owsley Co, KY on 31 Dec 1921. Was the d/o Blevins Hudson & Susan Davidson.
139. Sarilda BREWER (1865) m-Scott Peters
140. John F. BREWER (1867) m-Martha Peters
141. Susan BREWER (1869) m-Phillip Marcum
142. Harlan BREWER (1872) m-1st Flora Marcum
2nd Bertha Spence
143. Blevins BREWER (1874) m-Emma Peters
144. Mary M. BREWER (1876) m-1st John Marcum
2nd Millard Botner
145. Daniel P. BREWER (1878) m-Elizabeth Peters
146. Nicholas S. BREWER (1880) m-1st Lillie Wilson
2nd Myrtie Price
147. Clay BREWER m-1st Martha Belle Peters
2nd Fannie (L.) Pierson
148. Howell BREWER m-America Sparks
149. Robert Green BREWER m-Ollie Fields
150. Roscoe BREWER m-Eva Chadwell
151. Martha BREWER m-Marion Short
38. John Tyler BREWER s/o Howell Cobb BREWER Gs/o Ambrose BREWER: B in Hawkins Co, TN on 11 Sep 1840 and d in Wichita, KS on 13 Jan 1906. Married Martha Jane Culton in Mar 1869 in Jackson Co, KY. She was b 5 May 1851 and d at Sturgeon, Owsley, Co, KY, 26 Sep 1895. She was the d/o William S. Culton & Martha Colyer.
152. Americus G. BREWER never married
153. Mary Frances BREWER (1872-1944) m-Lee Congleton
154. Minnie BREWER (1873-1926) m-Robert Morris
155. Margaret "Maggie" BREWER (1874-1929) m-Daniel B. Peters
156. Lucy BREWER (1876-1961) m-John A. Mahaffy
157. Charles BREWER (1877-1877) died in infancy
158. Emma E. BREWER (1879) m-Frank F. McCollum
159. Flora BREWER (1881) m-Ralph Bourne
160. Evelyn BREWER (1883) m-Clinton D. Heller
161. Allie BREWER (1885) m-H. D. Weaver
162. Bertie BREWER (1887) m-Charles DeVore
163. Chester D. BREWER (1890) m-Erma BREWER
164. Ruby BREWER (1893) never married
165. Kathryn BREWER (1895) m-Robert Seacat
39. Volentine Sevier BREWER S/o Howell Cobb BREWER Gs/o Ambrose BREWER: Born Hawkins Co, TN 6 Sep 1842, and d at Sturgeon, Owsley Co, KY 3 Jul 1935. Married to Jane "Sis" Wilson 11 May 1865 Owsley Co, KY. Born in Owsley Co, KY 12 Feb 1844, d at Sturgeon, Owsley Co, KY 20 Jul 1913. She was the d/o Alfred C. Wilson & Ann Bowman.
166. Mary M. BREWER (1866) m-William Burch
167. Alfred G. BREWER (1867) m-Dora (Spence) Strong
168. Robert L. BREWER (1869) never married
169. Lucy A. BREWER (1870) m-William Hartsock
170. Howell C. BREWER (1872) m-Mollie Spence
171. William W. BREWER (1874) married: Emma Wilson
172. Emily B. BREWER (1876) m-George Roach
173. Morris D. BREWER (1877) m-Rachel Mahaffy
174. Ruford H. BREWER (1879) died in infancy
175. Wilson G. BREWER (1880) m-Mary Lane
176. Orlena O. BREWER (1882) m-1st William Wilson
2nd Alexander McIntire
177. Felix Norman BREWER (1883) m-1st Martha Lane
2nd Martha Welch
3rd Myrtle McIntosh
178. Sarah Martha BREWER (1885) m-Blaine Wilson
179. Lucian B. BREWER (1886) m-1st Maude Hughes
2nd Buena (R) Denton
40. Morris BREWER S/o Howell Cobb BREWER Gs/o Ambrose BREWER: Born in Hawkins Co, TN 30 May 1846, and d Alton, MO 1 May 1900. Married in Owsley Co, KY to Lucy A. Wilson. Born in Owsley Co, KY 15 Apr 1846 and d at Alton, MO 4 Jun 1921.
180. Mellie BREWER (1867) m-Grant Rickard
181. Nancy M. BREWER (1869) m-Thomas Royal
182. Emily BREWER (1870) m-James Reece
183. Frank Finley BREWER (1872) m-Stella Bartsfield
184. Sarah Martha BREWER (1873) m-Joseph Royal
185. Daniel H. BREWER (1874)
186. Nicholas Wolfe BREWER (1875)
187. Lillie BREWER (1878) m-#1: Claude Rennick; m-#2: Mr (___) Van Fleet
188. Volentine S. BREWER (1879) m-Bertha Judd
189. Lula BREWER (1880) m-#1: Carl Andrews; m-#2: Mr (___) Roe
190. Leonard BREWER never married
191. Mary BREWER m-Sam Galloway
192. Etta BREWER m-Earl Gunby
193. Charlie BREWER m-Ruth Hart
194. Thomas Alfred BREWER
195. Arthur BREWER
196. Oscar BREWER
41. Emily Juelma BREWER D/o Howell Cobb BREWER Gd/o Ambrose BREWER: Born in Hawkins Co, TN 7 May 1848 and d in Owsley Co, KY 9 Nov 1929. Married in Owsley Co, TN to Daniel McCollum, Jr. 18 Oct 1866. He was b in Owsley Co, KY 27 Jul 1841 and d in Owsley Co, KY 26 Apr 1898. Daniel was the s/o Daniel McCollum & Lydia Johnson.
197. William H. McCollum (1868) m-Eliza Bell (Flanery) Quillen
198. Lucy J. McCollum (1870) m-James Anderson
199. Mary E. McCollum (1872) never married
200. Frank McCollum (1872) m-Emma E. BREWER
201. Charles G. McCollum (1873) m-1st Susan Campbell
2nd Mary Farley
3rd Margaret B. O'Dell
4th Myrtle (Combs) Scott
202. Martha M. McCollum (1875) m-Edward Campbell
203. Minnie McCollum (1877) never married
204. Ida M. McCollum (1879) m-Charles Eversole
205. Emily F. McCollum (1881) never married
206. Nannie McCollum (1883) died in infancy
4. Prettyman BREWER S/o Ambrose BREWER: Born in the 1790's and d in the 1830's. Married Sarah (___) b in NC 1804. She d aft 1850.
207. Howell BREWER (1821) m-Mary A. Thomas
208. Elizabeth BREWER (1827) m-Joseph Thomas
209. Nancy BREWER (1830) never married
Census records suggest that Prettyman had two boys and four girls. There seems to be basis for the thought that Sarah, wf/o Prettyman, was either a Wilder or Williams before her marriage.
5. Ambrose BREWER S/o Ambrose BREWER: Probably b in NC in 1798.
An Ambrose BREWER, possibly this one, m-Elizabeth Cope, d/o James Cope and sis/o Susan Cope who m-Ambrose BREWER s/o Howell C. BREWER.
6. Millenton BREWER S/o Ambrose BREWER: Probably b in NC in 1800.
220. Enos BREWER (1820) m-#1: Matilda (___); m-#2: Mary Ann (___)
221. Rhoda BREWER (1824) m-George Wilder
Census records suggest that Millenton had one son and four daughters.
7. Pleasant BREWER S/o Ambrose BREWER: b NC in 1800. m-Elizabeth Seals.
225. Russell BREWER
226. John BREWER
227. Benjamin BREWER
228. Daniel BREWER
229. Samuel BREWER
230. Burton BREWER
231. Eliza BREWER m-Jordon Edmonds
232. Rebecca BREWER m-George Presley
233. Sinda BREWER m-Drury Maynard
234. Fannie BREWER m-Zeke Maynard
235. Margaret BREWER m-Quint Sweat
236. Nancy BREWER m-Quint Sweat
8. Lucinda BREWER D/o Ambrose BREWER:
9. Ona BREWER D/o Ambrose BREWER:
pp 16-17: BREWER Record
Ambrose BREWER (No. 1) started with two children from Holland to come to the United States. He took sick on the ship and died, leaving his two children, a boy and a girl. The boy's name was Luther. The girl married a man by the name of Webber and left for some of the first settlements. It was never known what became of her. Luther BREWER raised a family. Some of his boys probably settled in the northeast states-VT and other states. One of his sons was named Ambrose (No. 2) who had several sons, some were named as follows: Joab, Moab, Sam, Howell (No. 1), Mit, Ambrose (No. 3) and six more boys, names not known. Ambrose (No. 3) who was called "Dodger," Sam and Howell (No. 1) came into Hancock Co, TN from Buncomb Co, NC that being the place that Ambrose (No. 2) lived and raised those ten boys. Some of the brothers went to AL and MS and others remained and stayed in NC. Howell (No. 1) later settled in Owsley Co, KY. He remained in KY, raised a big family, names as follows: Ambrose (No. 4), Joab, George (No. 1), Jim (No. 1) Bill (No. 1), Howell (No. 2) and Orville. Several girls, Polly Cope, Nancy Seals, Sally Elrod and Patsy Isaacs. The above were his first children. His second wife's children were Nick, John (No. 1), Morris and Valentine and a girl Emily McCollum. Ambrose (No. 4) settled in Hancock Co, TN, and later came to Cumberland Gap, then from there to Jackson Co, KY, raising a big family. Names as follows: sons were John (No. 2), Jim (No.2), Bill (No. 2), George (No. 2), Howell (No. 3), Pleas (No. 1), Ambrose (No. 5) and Cager. Girls were Lucinda Sullivan, Betty Imes, later Betty Barker, and Esther. These were his first wife's children. His second wife's children were Susie, Malissa, Henry and Sam. John (No. 2) had children named Minerva, Ambrose, Charley, Jim, Frank, William, George and Lula. Jim (No. 2) died during the Civil War and was never married. Bill (No. 2) had no children. George, by his first wife Doxie, had Jim, Dora, Maggie, Edd, Dolly, Tip and Vina. By his second wife he had Susie, Bertha, Boone, Ambrose and Howell, son of John (No. 2) had by his first wife, John and Cyntha. By his second wife he had John and Sol. By his second wife he had Eva, Charles, Elza, Ollie, Dee and Stella. Ambrose "Bug", son of Ambrose (No. 4) had Mary, Sarah, Pleas, Charlie, Dora and Cornelius. Cager, son of Ambrose (No. 4) had Cordelia, Mack, Tishie, Doxie, Belle, Lottie, Maude and Lillie.
The above record was given to James F. Bowman by Rev. Ealen P. BREWER, Corbin, KY in 1959. His ancestry ran back through Rev. Charles G., John, Ambrose, Howell and Ambrose. This record was said to have been made by some of Rev. Ealen P. BREWER's relatives who lived in Arkansas.
The History of Moore Co, NC, Appendage B, p. 194 under topic:
"Permanent 18th Century Settlers" says that Howell (Dutchman) Bruer was at
Deep River in 1754 with Near (sic) and George Bruer there by 1777, and
Ambrose Bruer by 1787. On page 191 it says that "the Seals were in Moore
from 1755-1789 after which they moved to TN too."
----this information furnished by Mrs. Janice B. Reddin.
The following is quoted from a letter written in 1953 by W. E.
BREWER of Ventura, CA, who was then seventy-five years of age to James F. Bowman: " my Grand Daddy's name was Samuel Russell BREWER. He was the youngest of five brothers and when he passed away at the age of 75 the others were all living and their names were as follows: Brackston, Joab, Mowab, and Oliver. They all lived in TN and I understood their forefathers came there from North Carolina in an early day."
p 19: Ambrose BREWER
The following record is taken from The Hamblen TN History, as
contributed by Nova M. Mertens (Mrs. Frederick C.) 1014 Cameron Street, Indianapolis 3, Indiana, through Mrs. Janice B. Reddin.
"The founder of the family in which this work is interested was Ambrose BREWER. He lived in what is now Catawba Co, NC, b abt 1760. He served under Colonel Cleveland at the battle of King's Mountain, 7 Oct 1789, Revolutionary War. Soon after this he moved over the mountains and settled on War Creek, in what is now Hancock Co, TN, one of the first settlers of the locality. He was a Free Mason. He had a wife and son, Joab, at this
time.Afterwards several other children were born: Frederick, George, Ambrose,Lucinda, Ona, and possibly others. Joab had two sons that are known: Marshall and Isam. Marshall m-Sarah Light and had sons, Oliver, who married Armilda Ramsey, and James Ambrose** who married Sarah C. Ramsey, sister of Armilda. Isam BREWER was the father of Larkin BREWER.
Ambrose BREWER, Pension File R 1182 for Revolutionary War service from North
Carolina. Pension was denied but record does not show for what reason. Record indicates Ambrose was b in VA around 1753. He later moved to North Carolina from which state he was said to have served in the war. He was still living in Hancock Co, TN, when he applied for a pension in 1854 at which time he was 101 years of age. John R. Smith bore witness to this service.
The founders of the BREWER family in America came from Holland, sometime prior to the Amer Rev. The Dutch spelling of the name was said to be 'Brauer." They were members of a colony of several families that landed at Hackensack, NJ, and from there emigrated to southern VA, NC and east TN. From there settlements. later they moved on into KY, IN and other states. They were patriotic and influential citizens wherever they lived. Sarah C, above, also their sister) Isam was the father of Larkin BREWER.
(Information shared by Gloria Jones at firstname.lastname@example.org)
Father: Howell BREWER b: ABT 1722 in Surry County, Virginia
Ona RICHARDSON b: 1770
- Joab BREWER b: 1771 in Cumberland County, North Carolina
- Frederick BREWER b: ABT 1780
- Howell Cobb BREWER b: 20 OCT 1790 in Moore County, North Carolina
- Prettyman BREWER b: ABT 1787
- Ambrose BREWER b: 1798
- Millenton BREWER b: 1800
- Pleasant BREWER b: 1800
- Lucinda BREWER
- Ona BREWER