Name: Abraham Buchanan LAKEY 1 2
Birth: 19 NOV 1798 in Surry County, North Carolina
Death: 6 FEB 1877 in Yadkin County, North Carolina
Burial: Lakey Cemetery Yadkin County, North Carolina
Reference Number: 4861
3rd cousin twice removed of Edgar Lakey (1883-1937)
Dates of birth from family bible
1823 Marriage Bond Surry County, NC Abraham Lakey to Nancy Philips 5 June 1823; Bondsman
1850 Census Surry County, North Carolina
Abraham Lakey 51 Farmer NC
Nancy 44 "
Abraham P. 24 "
Agga 21 "
William 19 "
Francis M. 17 "
Rebecca 16 "
Sarah A. 14 "
Solomon 12 "
Nancy C. 9 "
John L. 7 "
Hester 4 "
1860 Census Yadkin County, North Carolina
Abraham Lakey 61 Farmer NC
Nancy 54 "
Abraham P. 34 "
John L. 16 "
Hester L. 14 "
Rachel E. 9 "
Hiram W. 2 "
1880 Forbush, Yadkin County, North Carolina
Nancy Lakey Self W Female 73 NC NC
Hiram Lakey G.Son W Male 22 Farm Laberor NC NC
Matilda Lakey Other W Female 35 Servant NC NC
Jessie Burns Other MU Male 20 Servant NC NC
Abraham Buchanan Lakey, second son of Francis, was born November 19,1798, and died February 6, 1877. Abraham Buchanan, who purchased the family Bible at the estate sale, is buried in Lakey Cemetery,Yadkin County. On June 5, 1823, he married Nancy Phillips. She was born November 1, 1805, and died July 18, 1895.They were parents of fourteen children.
Abraham Lakey was born in what is now Yadkin County November 19, 1798, son of Francis and Hester Lakey. Francis Lakey along with with his two brothers, James and Mayner, were members of Deep River Monthly Meeting in Guilford County in 1782. By 1790 Francis had moved to Surry (non Yadkin) County and was a member of Deep Creek Friend
Abraham inherited a portion of his father's estate. He purchased land as early as 1829, and by 1862 owned 366 acres valued at $4,000. In 1860 he owned one female slave and her young son. All of Abrahams property was located in Forbush Township where he farmed and lived all his life.
Abraham married June 5, 1823, Nancy Philips, who was born in what is now Yadkin County November 1, 1805. They were the parents of ten children.
Abraham was a member of the Primitive Baptist Church for thirty years. Abraham died February 16,1877 and Nancy died July 18, 1895. Both are buried at Lakey Cemetery, Forbush
Township. (Joyce R. Braswell)
W:53 27 Sep 1830 George Creson to Abraham Lakey, $530
Surry County Deeds
V:28 15 May 1834 Joseph x Sprinkle, wife Polly x to Abraham Lakey, land N side Forbushes Creek = lot 3 in division of land of Clemin Carter decd, her father; witn Wm Phillips
4:431 20 Feb 1840 Isaac Carter to Abraham Lakey on Forbush Creek, adj Hugh & Lydia Carter; witn: William & Abram Phillips
Surry Court Minute Abstracts: Elaine McKinley
Feb 1842 Deeds from Abraham Lakey to E Lakey proved by S Speer, from C H Carter to E Lakey by S Speer
2:169 14 Feb 1842 Abraham Lakey to Elliott Lakey, $85 for 1/8th part of land, Forbushes Creek, Murphy's farm, Lynch's line, part of 105A sold by Joseph Murphy to Francis Lakey, 447A of Francis Lakey, his heirs, said Abraham is one in common with 7 others; witn: S. Speer, Wm Harding, proved Feb 1842
May 1846 Deed from Hugh Carter to Abraham Lakey proved by Solomon Lakey; Isaac Carter to Abraham Lakey proved by William Phillips; Bills of sale from H G Hampton sheriff to Solomon Lakey and Abraham Lakey
4:426 15 Jan 1846 H G Hampton to Abraham Lakey, $275 for negro Sarah (age above 9 years)
5:445 30 Oct 1848 Thos. Williams, wife Polly to Abraham Lakey, $25 for 43A division of Elliott Lakey's estate; witn: Z Williams, Thompson Cutchens
Aug 1850 Abraham Laky, wife Nancy ack deed from themselves and others to Tyre Glenn
1850 Census South Division, Surry County, North Carolina Census Page #248
1860 Sensus Yadkinville, Yadkin County, North Carolina page #593
Father: Francis LEAKEY b: 1768 in Orange County, North Carolina
Mother: Mary M. b: ABT 1768
Nancy PHILIPS b: 1 NOV 1805 in Surry County, North Carolina
5 JUN 1823
in Surry County, North Carolina
- Jesse Franklin LAKEY b: 7 JUL 1825 in Surry County, North Carolina
- Abraham Philips LAKEY b: 19 OCT 1825 in Surry County, North Carolina
- Mary Matilda LAKEY b: 6 APR 1827 in Surry County, North Carolina
- Agathey LAKEY b: 5 NOV 1828 in Surry County, North Carolina
- William Dobson LAKEY b: 15 SEP 1830 in Surry County, North Carolina
- Francis Marion LAKEY b: 17 SEP 1832 in Surry County, North Carolina
- Rebecca Delaney LAKEY b: 16 MAY 1835 in Surry County, North Carolina
- Sarah Ann LAKEY b: 6 JAN 1837 in Surry County, North Carolina
- Solomon LAKEY b: 23 FEB 1839 in Yadkin County,North Carolina
- Columbus LAKEY b: 30 OCT 1840 in Surry County, North carolina
- Cornelius LAKEY b: 30 OCT 1840
- Nancy Caroline LAKEY b: 7 MAY 1842 in Surry County, North Carolina
- John Lewis LAKEY b: 23 MAR 1844 in Surry County, North Carolina
- Hester Louisa LAKEY b: 18 OCT 1846 in Surry County, North Carolina
- Rachel B. LAKEY b: 26 SEP 1850 in Surry County, North Carolina
- Title: Ancestors of Bertha M. Lakey from "National Spociety of United States Daughters of 1812"
- Title: Gilbert M. Lakey & Mrs. Margaret Elaine McKinly