Name: Benjamin Davis
Given Name: Benjamin
Birth: 10 Jun 1763 in Chatham Co, NC
Death: Feb 1816 in Jefferson Co, GA
Change Date: 22 Jun 2006 at 09:21:15
DISCLAIMER: This is a WORKING FILE and not necessarily a proven fact. Use as a LEAD ONLY.
Father: Elnathan Davis b: 9 Nov 1735 in Baltimore, Baltimore, Maryland
Mother: Mary Collins b: ABT 1735 in Baltimore, Baltimore, Maryland
Elizabeth Daniels b: 16 Mar 1769 in Chatham Co, NC
15 Jan 1785
in Chatham Co, NC
- Nancy Davis b: 8 Dec 1786
- Elnathan Davis b: 10 Jun 1789 in Jefferson Co, GA
- Lydia Davis b: ABT. 1790
- Martha Davis b: ABT. 1790 in GA
- Jesse H. Davis b: ABT. 1796
- Jacob Davis b: ABT. 1800
- James Jackson Davis b: 16 Sep 1804 in Wilkes Co, SC
- John B. Davis b: 1809
- Amelia Ann Davis b: 1811 in Jefferson Co, GA
- Davis b: 11 Oct 1813
- Title: Benjamin Davis/ Thomas B Moon
Here is some information on Benjamin Davis and Elizabeth Daniel. Also Thomas B. Moon.
Children of BENJAMIN DAVIS i. MARY EASON DAVIS, b. Bet. 1760 - 1765, Chatham Co, NC; d. Abt. 1830, Tattnall Co, GA.ii. ELIZABETH DAVIS, b. 1792; m. WILLIAM O'STEEN.iii. BENJAMIN JR DAVIS, m. MARTHA WANSLEY; b. 1781; d. 1868.
Selected Records From Revolutionary War Pensions and Bounty-Land Warrant Application Files, 1800-1900 Micro Publicatio n M-805, (Record Group 15)
Benjamin Davis m. Elizabeth Daniel, 15 Jan.1786, Chatham Co., NC. She stated the marriage was entered in the family B ible by WILEY BELCHER. George Daniel, of GA in 1845, gave statement. Children referred to in file were NANCY born 8 D ec. 1786, and John B. Davis who was 36 years of age in 1845. W 3783 NC/GA (This is the pension application number. Wh en preceded by: W = WidowŁus application.)
Deaths:RACHEL REBECCAH MOON born 6 Aug. 1841, died 25 of the same month and year.
Marriages:Benjamin Davis was married to Elizabeth Daniel 25 Jan. 1786, and lived together until we had 12 children & B. Davis die d and the youngest born 11 Oct. 1813.
Nancy Davis born Dec. 1786.Thomas B. Moon married Emeliann Davis 12 Aug.1828, in the (?, ink smeared) year of his age.
Births:JESSE BENJAMIN EDOM MOON, son of Thomas B. Moon and Emeliann Moon, born Jan. 1830, died 11 Feb. 1830.WILLINGHAM FRANCIS MOON born 17 Dec. 1830WOODSON D. MOON born 15 Feb. 1833ELIZABETH SARAHAN MOON born May 11 1835LYDIA ANN HASSELTINE MOON born 7 Aug. 1837-------------------------------Descendants of Jesse Moon
Generation No. 1
1. JESSE5 MOON (THOMAS4, JOHN3, JAMES2, JAMES1)1 was born 24 Feb 1776 in North Carolina, and died 1873 in Walton Co Ga. He married (1) RACHEL WILLINGHAM Abt. 1798 in Ga. She was born Abt. 1780. He married (2) LUCRETIA (CREACY) WILLINGHAM Aft. 1820 in Ga. She was born Bet. 1790 - 1800. He married (3) MARY A. (POLLY) BROWN Abt. 1846 in Probably Walton Co. GA. She was born Abt. 1825.
Notes for JESSE MOON:I find this date suspect. I can find no evidence of Jesse in the 1870 census--not in Cobb, not in Walton, not in Alabam a. But tradition says he died 1873 at his brother Joseph's home in Walton Co. GA and is buried on the property there. Change Date: 25 Oct 2005 at 23:10 Note: Most of the Moon files, based on William H. Moon's book, have the children of Jesse Moon hopelessly scrambled. Some are listed as children of Rachel, despite the fact that they were born AFTER he was supposedly having children by Lucretia. I have rearranged them in an attempt to make sense of the problem--based on marriage and census records of as man y of the children as I could find. Since some of these children were quite young when Rachel died, they may have consid ered Lucretia their mother, but census records indicate all of Jesse's children born before 1820 were by his first wife . Wm. H. Moon "researched" this family by simply asking people for information. Descendants of the younger children--wh o grew up with Jesse's second wife--would quite naturally have said their mother was Lucretia (if indeed that was the n ame of Jesse's second wife), but the records indicate otherwise. He also had two children no one lists for him--the Eli jah Moon born abt. 1799 (who is usually assigned to Thomas and Lucretia), and Lucretia, born abt. 1800, who was married to Raleigh Sanders Willingham (notes on each child for supporting documents).
There are no marriage records for Jesse anywhere in Georgia, no proof of William H. Moon's claim that he married 1) Rac hel Willingham 2) Lucretia Willingham, and 3) Polly Brown, but until further evidence surfaces, I have used Wm. H. Moon's assertion that Jesse's first two wives were Rachel and Lucretia Willingham. The names of their children certainly include Willingham names.
Columbia Co. tax list, 1812:Jesse Moon 25 slaves, 475 acres adj. Neal and Willingham on Sullivan's Creek, 130 acres adj Collins and Cole on Cane C rk.
1820 census, Columbia Co. GA, Dist. 11Jesse Moon 2 0 0 1 0 1 3 1 0 0 0 02 males under 101 male 16-261 male over 453 F under 101 F 10-16
There should be at least 4 males: Thomas B. born 19 Jun 1810 would have only been 10 years old (so is his birthdate wrong or did the census taker put him in the wrong slot? This slot does fit Elijah, but then one son is missing); Madiso n b. 1815, Lewis M. b. 1818. There should also be at least 3 females: Sandal b. ca 1804, Rachel b. ca 1804, Nelope b . 1816. Some files have a Patsy born ca. 1803--but Jesse had another child born 1824 who was Martha, so I think "Patsy " was an error since it is almost always a nickname for Martha.. Apparently in 1820, Jesse did not have a wife.
Other children born before 1820:Elijah: not in the 1820 census on his own--is he the male in Jesse's household 16-26?Lucretia married Raleigh Sanders Willingham about 1815.John Willingham who married in Feb. of 1820, was probably elsewhere.Mary "Polly" Moon who married Burton Baggett is often given a birthdate of 11 Dec 1810--she wouldn't have made the cens us; however, I think that birthdate is based on the gravestone of the SECOND wife of Burton Baggett, whose name is giv en as Rachel (maiden name may be Rutledge) on the 1860 census, Cobb Co. and that Mary/Polly IS one of the four daughter s in the 1820 census, probably born ca. 1806.
1821 land lottery:Moon Jessee Sr. Columbia Gartrells 91 5 Henry
1830 census, Walton Co. GA, p. 134Jesse Moon 0 1 2 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 1 1 0 0 0 11 male 5-10 [Cash]2 males 15-20 [Should be three: [Thomas B. born 180; Jesse Madison b. 1815; Lewis b.1818]1 male 40-50 [Jesse]1 female 0-5 [Elizabeth, b. aft. 1824]1 female 5-10 [Martha/Patsy b. Mar 1824]1 female 30-40 [Lucretia?](10 male slaves and 12 female slaves)
1840 Walton, p. 1090 0 0 1 1 0 0 0 10 0 0 0 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 11 male 15-20 [Cash]1 male 20-30 [ Lewis S..]1 male 60-70 [Jesse, age 65]1 female 20-30 [Martha? b. 1824; didn't marry until 1843]1 female 50-60 [Lucretia?]
Between 1847 and 1849 Jesse made a series of deeds either as gifts or sales to his children and grandchildren, probably in preparation for his move to Alabama:
BkQ p. 49120 Feb 1847 between Jesse Moon and Charles L. Bookout [husband of Sandal Moon] for $5.00 in hand 156 acres in the 4t h district of Walton, east half of lot 271 and north part of #270 on the waters of Sandy Creek.Wit: Joseph Moon, A.B. Whitehead, JP Rec. 23 Mar 1847
Book P. p.34420 Julk 1847 between Jesse Moon and Elijah Moon, $5.00 in hand...300 acres, lot #269, part of 270
Book Q 1851-185520 Feb 1847 between Jesse Moon and Lewis S. Moon Jun, sum of $5.00 in hand, lot 277 in 4th district, 250 acresPresents of Lewis S. MoonThomas B. Moon Rec 1 Aug 1851
BkQ. p. 265Deed of gift of 2 Negroes to Raleigh Sanders Willingham and his children by Lucretia Moon, daughter of Jesse.
Bk Q p. 27320 Feb 1847 between Jesse Moon and Elijah Moon for the sum of $5.00,,, 250 acres, 4th district, #250Lewis S. MoonLewis S. Moon Jr. Rec 4 Feb 1853
20 Feb 1847 Between Jesse Moon and James W. Webb [both of Walton; husband of Martha/Patsy Moon ], $5.00 in hand, 170 ac res, 4th district, part of lot #250, part of lot #257.Lewis S. MoonThos. B. Moon Rec. 5 Feb 1853
p. 275On 16th Aug 1847, James W. Webb sold this above property to Elijah Moon for $200 rec. 5 Feb 1853
Bk. P p. 315 11 Jan 1849: Deed of gift of 2 negroes to the children of his son Thomas B. Moon; names his son Elijah a s guardian.
He also sold to his brother Joseph Moon, 252 acres in the 4th district, Walton Co, part of lots #252, #251, #268 (Dee d Bk Q, 20 Feb 1847).
1850: the following Jesse Moon in Chambers Co. AL is probably Jesse, born NC, age 74 in 1850. The young wife named Mar y also fits the story Wm. H. Moon tells about his marrying a third time to a Polly Brown and moving to AL (Wm. H. sai d Randolph--and Mary Moon was in Randolph in 1860).
Chambers Co., AL. Dist. 19-1/2, page 384Jesse Moon 74 born NC Farmer 1500Mary 25 born GAWilliam 10 GASarah 3 GAGeorgia 2 ALAugustus 9/12 AL[Note: thanks to Edith Wertz and Michelle Cabiness for this census record!]
Jesse is not on the Chambers slave schedule for 1850, but Mary A. Moon is--with six slaves.
In 1860, Jesse Moon was in the household of a J.N. Hardy in Cobb Co., next door to the household of John Willingham Moo n, his oldest son. His third wife, Mary, was in Randolph Co. AL(see notes under Mary).p. 303, #598Hardy, J. N. 41 M b. NC FarmerSarah 38 F b. GALouisa 11 F "J.A. 8 F "D.M. 5 M "Roberts, Charles 18 M b. GA Farm laborerMoon, Jesse 85 M b. NC
I do not know who J.N. Hardy was, but he was probably the son of the J.W. Hardy whom Temperance Baggett, sister of Burton Baggett (who married Polly Moon). married. Her first husband was Roberts; Charles Roberts in the Hardy household was her son.
Posted by: Joe Baggett (ID *****7698) Date: March 22, 2002 at 13:26:34 In Reply to: Re: Jesse Moon m. Rachel, Lucretia Willingham by Karen L. Dale of 3289Temperance Baggett, born Jan. 13, 1795, daughter of Allen Baggett, 1762-1823, of Anson County, N.C., and Walton County , Ga., m. Allen Roberts. Lived in Anson Co., N.C., 1820 (1 male under 10, 3 females under 10). Allen Roberts was a purchasor of the estate of Allen Baggett in Walton Co. in 1825 and a legatee in 1827; lived in Gwinnett Co., 1830 census. Temperance married 2nd John W. Hardy. Living next to Burton Baggett (son of Allen) in Powder Springs on the 1860 census of Cobb County were J.W. Hardy aged 80, b. N.C., wife Temperance 60 N.C., Allen B. Roberts 23, N.N. Roberts (female ) 30, T.S. Roberts (female) 25; also nearby was J.N. Hardy aged 41, Sarah 38, Charles Roberts 18, Jesse Moon 85, born i n N.C. Temperance lived with daughter Minerva, aged 45, in the Oregon District of Cobb, 1870. (Buried Poplar Springs Ch ., Hiram, Paulding County, Ga.: J.N. Hardy, Feb. 1, 1818 - Sept. 16, 1900, 2nd wife Martha, 1824-1903.)~ Joe Baggett, e ditor, "Baggett Family Newsletter," email@example.com
Jesse supposedly died in 1873 at the home of his brother Joseph in Walton Co. I have not been able to find him in an 1870 census, so I have read doubts about this date of death.
Jesse does not have a female in his 1820 household of an age to be a wife, unless she was much younger than he was. Th e oldest female in the 1820 household was age 10-16. Thus it is not clear when he married Lucretia. However, it was likely that he married her after 1820 and that only the last three children born in Columbia Co. GA were Lucretia's. Children of JESSE MOON and RACHEL WILLINGHAM are:i. ELIJAH6 MOON, b. Abt. 1799, Ga.ii. LUCRETIA MOON, b. Abt. 1800, Ga.iii. ELIZABETH MOON, b. Abt. 1802, Ga.2. iv. JOHN WILLINGHAM MOON, b. 14 Apr 1802, Columbia Co. GA; d. May 1876, Cobb Co. GA.v. RACHEL MOON, b. Abt. 1804, Columbia Co. GA.vi. MARY MOON, b. Abt. 1806, Columbia Co. GA.3. vii. THOMAS B. MOON, b. 19 Jun 1810, Columbia Co. GA.4. viii. SANDAL MOON, b. Bet. 1810 - 1815, Columbia Co. GA.ix. NELOPE MOON, b. Abt. 1816, Columbia Co. GA.x. JESSE MADISON MOON, b. 30 Oct 1815, Columbia Co. GA.5. xi. LEWIS S. MOON, b. 24 Dec 1818, Columbia Co. GA; d. 04 Aug 1893, Gwinnett Co. GA.
Children of JESSE MOON and LUCRETIA WILLINGHAM are:xii. CASH C.6 MOON, b. Abt. 1821, Columbia Co. Ga.xiii. MARTHA (PATSY) MOON, b. 28 Mar 1824, Columbia Co. Ga.xiv. ELIZABETH MOON, b. Aft. 1824.
Children of JESSE MOON and MARY BROWN are:xv. WILLIAM6 MOON, b. Abt. 1840, Ga.xvi. SARAH MOON, b. Abt. 1847, Ga.xvii. GEORGIA ANN MOON, b. Abt. 1848, Alabama.xviii. ROBERT AUGUSTUS MOON, b. Abt. 1850, Alabama.xix. LUCRETIA C. MOON, b. Abt. 1851, Alabama.xx. ANDREW W. (DOCK?) MOON, b. Abt. 1855, Alabama.
Generation No. 2
2. JOHN WILLINGHAM6 MOON (JESSE5, THOMAS4, JOHN3, JAMES2, JAMES1) was born 14 Apr 1802 in Columbia Co. GA, and died May 1876 in Cobb Co. GA. He married (1) HARRIETT COLE 20 Feb 1820 in Columbia Co. GA. She was born 05 Jan 1797 in Columbia Co. GA. He married (2) PRUDENCE AMELIA BAGGETT 01 Nov 1843 in Cobb Co Ga. She was born 08 Jan 1816 in NC.
Notes for JOHN WILLINGHAM MOON:Note: Date of birth from gravestone in Moon Cemetery, Cobb Co. GA Death: May ? 1876 in Cobb Co. GA Note: Tombstone notes that he died "aged 73 y's., 9 [ may be 8] m's & 17 d's" Burial: Moon Cem. Cobb Co. GA Change Date: 17 Apr 2006 at 23:58 Note: 1830 census, Walton Co. GA, p. 173 John W. Moon 2 3 0 0 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 0 12 males 0-5 [Thos. Jefferson, John Francis]3 males 5-10 [Jos. K, C.D., Wilkes]1 male 20-30 [John W. b. 1802]1 female 0-5 [Sarah, born May 1830]1 female 30-40 [Harriet, b. 1797]1831 tax list, Walton Co. GA 250 a. in disrict 4 of Walton. Also 500 12/16 in Early Co. GA.1840, p. 247, Cobb Co. GAJ. W. Moon 2 2 1 3 0 1 0 1 1 0 0 0 12 males under 5 [Jesse M. Lee, Wilson]2 males 5-10 [John Francis, Thomas Jefferson1 male 10-15 [Isaac]3 males 15-20 [Jos. K, C.D., Wilkes]1 male 30-40 [J. W. born 1802]1 female 5-10 [Sarah]1 female 10-15 [Lucy]1 female 40-50 [Harriet, born 1797]1850 p.133 Cobb Co. GA California Dist.#460John W. Moon 48 GA Farmer $9000Prudence 35 NCWilkens L. 26 GAJefferson 21 GASarah 22 GAJohn F. 20 GAIsaac N. 18 GANancy E. 16 GAWilson L. 14 GAJesse L. 11 GAStephen C. 9 GAMartha J. 6 GAMary E. 4 GASusan L. 6/12 GA1860Cobb Co. GA 1860 p. 308 HH#599J.W. Moon 58 Farmer 6000 8000 b. GAPrudence [Baggett] 44 NCS.C. M 18 GA [Stephen C.]M.J. F 15 " [Mariles Jane]M. E. F 13 " [Mary ElizabethS.L. F 10 " [Susan L.]B.F. M 5 " [Benj. F.]R.R. F 2 " [Rachel Ruth]M.W. F 2/12 " [Misty Willie]1870, Oregon, Cobb Co. GA p. 363J.W. Moon 68 Farmer b. GAPrudencee 54 b. NCBenjamin F. 15 all children b. GARachael 12Missie W. 10Moses (mulatto) 17 farm hand *** These 3 children listed as Moons.Hamer (female, mulatto) 13 farm handLuke (black) From Wm. H. Moon's "History of the Moon Family" (Atlanta 1920):"JOHN WILLINGHAM MOON, son of Jesse and Rachael (Willingham) Moon, and grandson of Thomas and Sarah (Brooks)Moon, was born in Columbia county, Georgia, on April 14, 1802. On February 20, 1820, he was married to Miss Harriet Cole, the daughter of Marcus Cole, of Columbia county, Georgia. He continued after his marriage to reside in Columbia county until th e year 1824, when he moved to Walton county, Georgia. He resided in Walton county until 1837, when he moved to Cobb cou nty and settled on Powder Springs creek, near the line of Paulding county where he lived until his death on May 27, 1876.To them were born eleven children, nine sons and two daughters. His two oldest children were born in Columbia county; a ll of the others except the two youngest were born in Walton county; the two youngest were born in Cobb county. The nam es of their children are as follows: Joseph K., Cicero D., W. L., (known as Coot,) Thomas Jefferson, John Frances, Isaa c N., Lucy Ellen, W. W. Lump' J. M. Lee, Stephen C., Sarah N. E. Harriet (Cole) Moon died May 3, 1843, and John Willingham Moon on November 1843, was married to Miss Prudence Baggett, of Cobb county, Georgia. To them were born six childre n, as follows: Mariles J., born September 30,1844. She married John Summers. Mary Elizabeth, born March 7, 1847, and married James R. Summers; died May 24, 1914. Susan L., born December 16, 1849; married to David S. Poole. Benjamin F., born September 11, 1864, and married Miss Mary Paris. Rachael R., born October 3,1867; married to James R. Eliot. Willi e was born March 6, 1860, and was married to William R. House.Prior to the Civil War John Willingham Moon had accumulated considerable property and was the owners of a few slaves. W hen he discovered that his father's third wife was wasting his property he sent two of his sons, John Frances and Cicero D., to Randolph county, Ala., the home of his father at that time, and had them get some of his father's slaves and b ring them back to Georgia. These slaves remained with him until they were emancipated.Many years before his death he joined the Primitive Baptist church and lived a consistent Christian life. He was for ma ny years clerk of the Marietta Primitive Baptist Association. He was an exemplary citizen, and he had the moral courage to stand for that which was right, and to condemn that which was wrong without any regard whatever as to whether hi s course met with popular approval. This same noble principle was characteristic of all his children.When the Civil War came on he was intensely loyal to the South, and while he was too old to do military duty himself, he furnished seven sons and two sons-in-law, who did valiant service for the of the Confederacy. All of these, save two , W. W. Lump and Stephen C., who died from sickness while in the army, return at the close of the war to their homes an d families, where de as good citizens as they did soldiers. It was the boast Willingham Moon that he had seven sons and two sons-in who went through the war, and that not one of them was ever hit by a Yankee bullet. On account of his strong stan d for the Confederacy, the Yankee army destroyed much valuable property belonged to him when Sherman s army came throug h Georgia."Marriage 1 Harriett COLE b: 5 Jan 1797 in Columbia Co. GAMarried: 20 Feb 1820 in Columbia Co. GA Note: Some sources give marriage date as 31 Jan 1820. May have been date license was issued. The 2-20-1820 date is from Willi am H. Moon's book, "History of the Moon Family."
ChildrenJoseph K. MOON b: 22 Dec 1820 in Columbia Co. GACicero Demosthenes MOON b: 13 Dec 1822 in Columbia Co. GAWilkes L. MOON b: 20 Dec 1824 in Walton Co.GAThomas Jefferson MOON b: 28 Jul 1826 in Walton Co.GASarah Harriet MOON b: 24 Oct 1828 in Walton Co.GAJohn Francis MOON b: 6 May 1830 in Walton Co.GAIsaac Newton MOON b: 11 Apr 1832 in Walton Co.GALucy Ellen MOON b: 3 Apr 1834 in Walton Co.GAWilson W. (Lump) MOON b: 24 Dec 1835 in Walton Co.GAJesse M. Lee MOON b: 11 Jan 1838 in Walton Co.GAStephen C. MOON b: 7 Aug 1841 in Cobb Co. GAMarriage 2 Prudence Amelia BAGGETT b: 8 Jan 1816 in NCMarried: 1 Nov 1843 in Cobb Co. GA Change Date: 26 Dec 2004ChildrenMariles Jane MOON b: 30 Sep 1844 in Powder Springs, Cobb Co. GAMary Elizabeth MOON b: 7 Mar 1847 in Powder Springs, Cobb Co. GASusan L. MOON b: 15 Dec 1849 in Powder Springs, Cobb Co. GABenjamin Franklin MOON b: 11 Sep 1854 in Powder Springs, Cobb Co. GARachel Ruth MOON b: 3 Oct 1857 in Powder Springs, Cobb Co. GAWillie Misty MOON b: 6 Mar 1860 in Powder Springs, Cobb Co. GAChildren of JOHN MOON and HARRIETT COLE are:i. JOSEPH K.7 MOON, b. 22 Dec 1820, Columbia Co. GA.ii. CICERO DEMOSTHENES MOON, b. 13 Dec 1822, Columbia Co. GA.iii. WILKES L. MOON, b. 20 Dec 1824, Walton Co Ga.6. iv. THOMAS JEFFERSON MOON, b. 28 Jul 1826, Walton Co Ga.v. SARAH HARRIET MOON, b. 24 Oct 1828, Walton Co Ga.vi. JOHN FRANCIS MOON, b. 06 May 1830, Walton Co Ga.vii. ISAAC NEWTON MOON, b. 11 Apr 1832, Walton Co Ga.viii. LUCY ELLEN MOON, b. 03 Apr 1834, Walton Co Ga.ix. WILSON W. MOON, b. 24 Dec 1835, Walton Co Ga.x. JESSE M. LEE MOON, b. 11 Jan 1838, Walton Co Ga.xi. STEPHEN C. MOON, b. 07 Aug 1841, Cobb Co Ga.
Children of JOHN MOON and PRUDENCE BAGGETT are:xii. MARILES JANE7 MOON, b. 30 Sep 1844, Powder Springs, Cobb Co. GA.xiii. MARY ELIZABETH MOON, b. 07 Mar 1847, Powder Springs, Cobb Co. GA.xiv. SUSAN L. MOON, b. 15 Dec 1849, Powder Springs, Cobb Co. GA.xv. BENJAMIN FRANKLIN MOON, b. 11 Sep 1854, Powder Springs, Cobb Co. GA.xvi. RACHEL RUTH MOON, b. 03 Oct 1857, Powder Springs, Cobb Co. GA.xvii. WILLIE MISTY MOON, b. 06 Mar 1860, Powder Springs, Cobb Co. GA.
3. THOMAS B.6 MOON (JESSE5, THOMAS4, JOHN3, JAMES2, JAMES1) was born 19 Jun 1810 in Columbia Co. GA. He married EMELIANN DAVIS 12 Aug 1828, daughter of BENJAMIN DAVIS and ELIZABETH DANIEL. She was born 1810 in Ga, and died Bef. 09 Apr 1848 in Walton Co.GA.
Notes for EMELIANN DAVIS:Her date of death conflicts with Walton Co. record of Thomas B, Moon's marriage to Susan J. Moon. I don't know source o f this date of death, but given the fact that her last child, Rachel Rebecca, was born August 1840, I'd suspect Emilian n died not long after that. Someone probably wrote she died BEFORE 1850--and the "before" was omitted. Children of THOMAS MOON and EMELIANN DAVIS are:i. JESSE BENJAMIN EDOM7 MOON, b. Jan 1830, GA; d. 11 Feb 1830.ii. WILLINGHAM FRANCIS MOON, b. 17 Dec 1830, GA.7. iii. WOODSON D. MOON, b. 15 Feb 1833, GA; d. 23 May 1864, Hanover Junction, VA.8. iv. SARAH ELIZABETH MOON, b. 11 May 1835, Walton Co., GA.9. v. LYDIA ANN HASSELTINE MOON, b. 07 Aug 1837, GA.
4. SANDAL6 MOON (JESSE5, THOMAS4, JOHN3, JAMES2, JAMES1) was born Bet. 1810 - 1815 in Columbia Co. GA. She married CHARLES L. BOOKOUT 06 Nov 1828 in Walton Co.GA, son of MARMADUKE BOOKOUT and RACHEL MOON. He was born Abt. 1789 in Randolph County NC, and died 04 Jun 1876 in Atlanta, Fulton Co. GA.
Notes for CHARLES L. BOOKOUT:1830 Walton Co., GA Bookout, Charles1 m under 5 b.1825-1830 [Marmaduke b1829]1 m 30-40 b.1790-1800 [Charles L]1 f 15-20 b.1810-1815 [Sandal]2 slaves
Married 2) Sarah Baker See 1860 census, Cobb Co. p. 308 #605C.l. Bookout 64 b. TNSarah 54 b. GAJ. M. M 22 "C.C. M 20 "Nancy Baker 14 "
Marriage 2 Sarah Baker b: ABT. 1806 in GAMarried: 30 JAN 1845 in Gwinnett Co., GAChildrenNancy Bookout b: ABT. 1846
Letter from Charles L. Bookout to Walter Bookout dated 31 May 1857: "I am at a great loss to know who that Nancy Bookout is that you said was married and had 11 children and 8 married. I know of but two Nancy Bookout's which is brother Thomas Bookout's wife and cousin William E. Bookout's. I suppose the one that you make mention of must be the child that father's second wife had before they were married - her name was Nancy. She was raised in father's family and bore the name of Nancy Bookout. Your mother and sister Delilah Lumpkin know all about her.
Children of SANDAL MOON and CHARLES BOOKOUT are:i. MARMADUKE7 BOOKOUT, b. Abt. 1829, Walton Co.GA.ii. LETROY BOOKOUT, b. Abt. 1831, Walton Co.GA.iii. RACHEL ANN DELILAH BOOKOUT, b. 15 Aug 1833, Walton Co.GA.iv. LEWIS THOMAS BOOKOUT, b. 11 Feb 1835, Walton Co.GA.v. JOHN MOON BOOKOUT, b. 31 Oct 1839, Walton Co.GA.vi. CASH CALVIN BOOKOUT, b. Dec 1839, Walton Co.GA.vii. MARY A.M. BOOKOUT, b. 1843, Walton Co.GA.
5. LEWIS S.6 MOON (JESSE5, THOMAS4, JOHN3, JAMES2, JAMES1) was born 24 Dec 1818 in Columbia Co. GA, and died 04 Aug 1893 in Gwinnett Co. GA. He married CATHERINE (KATIE) WEBB Abt. 1848. She was born 27 Sep 1827 in Gwinnett Co. GA, and died Aug 1893.
Notes for LEWIS S. MOON:A marriage record in Walton Co. for Lewis S. Moon Jr. and Dollie Willingham, 8 Oct 1835. Dollie may be Martha, d/o Raleigh S. Willingham and Lucretia Moon--but not proven! No evidence of her or of children born in the 1830s. Although I have "bought" the marriage at the moment, I am not happy with it because of the ages. If I could find evidence of another Lewis S. Moon Jr., just older than Jesse's, I would be happier. However, born 1818, it is possible Lewis S. married at 17. From Jerry Lee MoonChildren of LEWIS MOON and CATHERINE WEBB are:i. CALVIN CASH7 MOON, b. 1850, GA.ii. RACHEL ELIZABETH MOON, b. 27 Jul 1852, GA.iii. SUSAN MOON, b. 1855, GA.iv. SANDY MOON, b. 1860, GA.v. JASPER MOON, b. 1863, GA.vi. GEORGE WOODSON MOON, b. 1868, GA.
Generation No. 3
6. THOMAS JEFFERSON7 MOON (JOHN WILLINGHAM6, JESSE5, THOMAS4, JOHN3, JAMES2, JAMES1) was born 28 Jul 1826 in Walton Co Ga. He married SARAH ELIZABETH MOON 24 Jul 1851 in Walton Co. Ga, daughter of THOMAS MOON and EMELIANN DAVIS. She was born 11 May 1835 in Walton Co., GA.Children of THOMAS MOON and SARAH MOON are:i. THOMAS BROOKS8 MOON, b. 25 Apr 1852, Powder Springs, Cobb Co. GA.ii. JOHN W. MOON, b. 08 Jun 1854, Powder Springs, Cobb Co. GA.iii. HARRIETT MOON, b. Abt. 1859, Powder Springs, Cobb Co. GA.iv. PENORA MOON, b. Powder Springs, Cobb Co. GA.v. JOSEPH D. MOON, b. 09 Feb 1866, GA.vi. LYDIA MOON, b. 1872, GA.
7. WOODSON D.7 MOON (THOMAS B.6, JESSE5, THOMAS4, JOHN3, JAMES2, JAMES1) was born 15 Feb 1833 in GA, and died 23 May 1864 in Hanover Junction, VA. He married CHARLOTTE ANN HAMMOCK 24 Dec 1854 in Walton Co Ga. She was born Abt. 1838 in GA.
Notes for WOODSON D. MOON:CSA Seved in Co. G., 35th GA--Barrett's Sharpshooters.Children of WOODSON MOON and CHARLOTTE HAMMOCK are:i. MARY LEWIS8 MOON, b. 10 Oct 1855, GA.ii. BENJAMIN FRANKLIN MOON, b. 07 Sep 1858, GA.iii. POCOHANTAS MOON, b. 05 Dec 1856, GA.iv. HILMON MOON, b. 11 Apr 1860, GA.v. ALBERT SYDNEY JOHNSON MOON, b. 02 Apr 1862, GA.vi. SARAH MOON, b. 24 Oct 1863, GA.
8. SARAH ELIZABETH7 MOON (THOMAS B.6, JESSE5, THOMAS4, JOHN3, JAMES2, JAMES1) was born 11 May 1835 in Walton Co., GA. She married THOMAS JEFFERSON MOON 24 Jul 1851 in Walton Co. Ga, son of JOHN MOON and HARRIETT COLE. He was born 28 Jul 1826 in Walton Co Ga.Children are listed above under (6) Thomas Jefferson Moon.
9. LYDIA ANN HASSELTINE7 MOON (THOMAS B.6, JESSE5, THOMAS4, JOHN3, JAMES2, JAMES1) was born 07 Aug 1837 in GA. She married GIPSON G. BULLARD. He was born 01 Feb 1842.Children of LYDIA MOON and GIPSON BULLARD are:i. LIZZIE8 BULLARD, b. GA.ii. WOODSON D. BULLARD, b. Abt. 1866, GA.iii. WILLIS BULLARD, b. 1870, Powder Springs, Cobb Co. GA.iv. PERRY G. BULLARD, b. Powder Springs, Cobb Co. GA.
1. iii.Jesse MOON was born 24 FEB 1776 in Deep River, Guilford Co. NC, and died 1873 in Walton Co.GA. He married Rachel WILLINGHAM ABT 1800, daughter of John WILLINGHAM and Ann [WILLINGHAM]. She was born ABT 1780, and died BEF 1820 in Columbia Co. GA. He married Lucretia (Creacy) WILLINGHAM AFT 1820, daughter of John WILLINGHAM and Ann [WILLINGHAM]. She was born BET 1790 AND 1800 in Georgia. He married Mary A. (Polly) BROWN ABT 1846 in Probably Walton Co. GA. ID: I13 Name: Jesse MOON Given Name: Jesse Surname: Moon Sex: M Note: Most of the Moon files, based on William H. Moon's book, have the children of Jesse Moon hopelessly scrambled. Some are listed as children of Rachel, despite the fact that they were born AFTER he was supposedly having children by Lucretia. I have rearranged them in an attempt to make sense of the problem--based on marriage and census records of as many of the children as I could find. Since some of these children were quite young when Rachel died, they may have considered Lucretia their mother, but census records indicate all of Jesse's children born before 1820 were by his first wife. Wm. H. Moon "researched" this family by simply asking people for information. Descendants of the younger children--who grew up with Jesse's second wife--would quite naturally have said their mother was Lucretia (if indeed that was the name of Jesse's second wife), but the records indicate otherwise. He also has two children no one lists for him--the Elijah Moon born abt. 1799 (who is usually assigned to Thomas and Lucretia), and Lucretia, born abt. 1800, who was married to Raleigh Sanders Willingham (notes on each child for supporting documents). There are no marriage records for Jesse anywhere in Georgia, no proof of William H. Moon's claim that he married 1) Rachel Willingham 2) Lucretia Willingham, and 3) Polly Brown but until further evidence surfaces, I have used Wm. H. Moon's assertion that Jesse's first two wives were Rachel and Lucretia Willingham. 1820 census, Columbia Co. GA, Dist. 11 Jesse Moon 2 0 0 1 0 1 3 1 0 0 0 0 2 males under 10 1 male 16-26 1 male over 45 3 F under 10 1 F 10-16 There should be at least 4 males: Thomas B. born 19 Jun 1810 would have only been 10 years old (so is his birthdate wrong or did the census taker put him in the wrong slot? This slot does fit Elijah, but then one son is missing); Madison b. 1815, Lewis M. b. 1818. There should also be at least 3 females: Sandal b. ca 1804, Rachel b. ca 1804 , Nelope b. 1816. Some files have a Patsy born ca. 1803--but Jesse had another child born 1824 who was Martha, so I think "Patsy" was an error since it is almost always a nickname for Martha.. Apparently in 1820, Jesse did not have a wife. Other children born before 1820: Elijah: not in the 1820 census on his own--is he the male in Jesse's household 16-26? Lucretia married Raleigh Sanders Willingham about 1815. John Willingham who married in Feb. of 1820, was probably elsewhere. Mary "Polly" Moon who married Burton Baggett is often given a birthdate of 11 Dec 1810--she wouldn't have made the census; however, I think that birthdate is based on the gravestone of the SECOND wife