Name: Joseph Burnhope
Given Name: Joseph
Birth: BEF 3 Feb 1811 in Fellside, Hexham, Northumberland, England
Christening: 3 Feb 1811 Hexham, Northumberland, England
Death: AFT 1881 in of, Cumberland, England
Change Date: 9 Apr 2013 at 09:31:02
1. Reviewed Ancestry.com 23 Nov 2002.
1851 British: District 5, Drigg, Cumberland, England, residence at 55 Brigstones:
Joseph Burnhope, mar., 40, rail lab.
Ann, wife, 41.
Margaret, dau., 13.
Isabella, dau., 11.
Isaac, son, 9.
Elizabeth, dau., 7.
William, son, 5.
Jane, dau., 2.
1861 British: Frizington, Cumberland, England, p. 84, #30 Rattenrow:
Joseph Burnhope, 50, Lab(orer) Iron Bre Pit, b. Northumberl., Hexham.
Ann, wife, 51, b. Northhumberl., Hexham.
Mary Ann, dau., unm., 24, Serv., b. Northumberl., Haydonbridge.
Isaac Hunter, son, unm., 20, mines iron, b. Northumberl., Haydonbridge.
Jane, dau., 12, scholar, b. Cumberland, Drigg.
Ann, 10, scholar, b. Cumberland, Drigg.
Joseph, son, 6, scholar, b. Cumberland, Bootle.
Dorothy, dau., 5, scholar, b. Cumberland, Bootle.
5 boarders: John Birkett, Isaac Coulson, William Davison, Michael Mattison, and Thomas Dobsen Hetherington.
1871 British: Frizington, Cumberland, England, p. 40 of 64, #149:
Joseph Burnope, 60, platelayer, b. Northumberland.
Ann, wife, 51, b. Northhumberland.
Joseph, son, 16, miner, b. Cumberland.
James McHollam, son in law, 25, miner, b. Ireland.
Ann McHollam, dau., 21, b. Cumberland.
Joseph McHollam, gson, 5 mos., b. Cumberland.
Elizabeth A. Burnipe, g.dau., 12, b. Cumberland.
Alexanders Meal, gson, mar., 30, miner, b. Isle of Man.
2 unrelated boarders.
1881 British: Parkgate, Arlecdon, Cumberland, England per FHL 1342250, RG11-5183/31, p. 10. Joseph's brother Isaac was also a platelayer:
Joseph Burnhope, marr., 72, Hexham, Northumberland, Eng., Platelayer.
Ann, wife, marr., 72, Newbiggon, Northumberland, Eng.
Joseph, son, unmarr., 27, Bootle, Cumberland, Eng., Iron miner.
Richard Simpson, son in law, widower, 42, Dalton, Lancashire, Eng., Iron miner.
Elizabeth Simpson, niece, 11, Arlecdon, Cumberland, Eng.
Richard Flinn, boarder, unm., 46, Irelan, Iron miner.
1. The following christenings are from a transcription book of Haydon Bridge baptisms 1654-1665 and 1677-1991, which I cut off at 1880. There are only two sets of Burnhopes listed -- seven children of Joseph Burnhope and Elizabeth and the first five children of Joseph Burnhope (1811-1881) and Ann Hunter. The following are the latter:
Mary Ann Catherine Burnhope, d. of Joseph and Ann, Haydon Bridge, Mar 1837.
Isabella Burnhope, d. of Joseph and Ann, Haydon Bridge, 17 Mar 1839.
Isaac Hunter Burnhope, s. of Joseph and Ann, Haydon Bridge, 25 Apr 1841.
Elizabeth Burnhope, d. of Joseph and Ann, Haydon Bridge, 17 Sep 1843.
William Burnhope, s. of Joseph and Ann, Haydon Bridge, 22 Feb 1846.
1. 23 Nov 2002 Ancestry.com database "swallred": Parish Reg. of Hexam, Northumberland, England FHL film #991803, Item 1. Family is from Fell Side and father's occupation is woodsman. (Some family records list birth of 5 Feb 1811, but the parish records show a baptism of 3 Feb 1811 and lists no birthdate.)
2. Online Ordinance Index, Film 6905734, Batch #P000642, 1753-1812, source call# 94988, extracted chr. records; Joseph Burnhope, chr. 3 Feb 1811 at Hexham, Northumberland, England, parent William Burnhope.
3. From my transcription of the Hexham Christening Records (Isaac does not occur):
3 Feb 1811, Joseph Burnhope, son of William, Woodman of Fellside.
5 Dec 1813, Jane Burnhope, dau. of William, woodman, and Mary of Fellside.
12 Jan 1817, Mary Burnhope, dau. of William, woodman, and Mary of Fellside.
6 Sep 1818, Elizabeth Burnhope, dau. of William, woodkeeper and Mary of Woodside.
30 Dec 1821, William Burnhope, son of William, woodman of Sunnyside.
29 Jun 1823, Ann Burnhope, dau. of William, woodkeeper, and Mary of Sunnyside.
1. Hexham Marriage Transcripts, 1754-1861: 7 Jun 1834, Jsp. Burnhope of the parish and Ann Hunter of the parish. Wit. Ra. Weatherly, Doro. B???.
2. Online Ordinance Index FHL film, batch M109171, extracted marriage record for Joseph Burnhope and Ann Hunter, 7 Jun 1834 at Hexham, Northumberland, England. Note that in one of the censuses quoted above, there is a son with the middle name of Hunter.
1. Email 30 Dec 2004 from James Ormandy
Father: William Burnhope b: in Woodhall Mill (near Haydon Bridge), Northumberland, England c: 23 Mar 1788 in Haydon Bridge, Northumberland, England
Mother: Mary Oliver b: ABT 1781 in of Newbrough, Northumberland, England
Ann Hunter b: ABT 1809 in Newbiggin, Northumberland, England
7 Jun 1834
in Hexham, Northumberland, England