Name: Peter Eller
Given Name: Peter
Birth: 5 Apr 1779 in of Frederick, Frederick, Maryland, United States
Death: 8 Jan 1843 in , Washington, Pennsylvania, United States
Change Date: 25 Nov 2012 at 07:01:43
1. FHL Book 929.273, film 6005243, "John Jacob Eller and His Descendants with Other Pre-1800 Eller Immigrants to America," by the Eller Family Association, 1998, 817-297-1280. The book in chapter 5 comments on current thinking of the Eller Family Association (EFA) on Hook research into George Michael Eller (GME) which I summarize as follows:
The following genealogy by Clarice Eller Stanley of Martin?s Ferry, Ohio and taken from Eller Chronicles, vol. VII:2 Sp. Ed. May 1994, provides much new information on Henry Eller and descendants of his sons, but little new information on descendants of his daughters. Clarice won the prestigious research award from EFA in 1995 for her work on this family: ?Henry Eller and Elizabeth Bigler, their children and grandchildren:
a. Joseph married Elizabeth Graybill.
b. Maria Elizabeth, b. 1752, Frederick Co., MD; d. ca. 1815, Preble Co., OH; m. Christian Herter. Children: Susanna, Henry, Phoebe, John, Rebecca, Mary, Joseph, Catherine.
c. Rebecca, b. ca. 1760; m. Christian Gerber.
d. Henry Jr., b. ca. 1762, MD; d. ca. 1838, Montgomery Co., OH; m. Frances Graybill; children: Daniel, Mary, Christina, Unknown female, Henry III, Abraham, Frances, Sarah, Elizabeth Anna.
e. Jacob Sr., b.ca. 1764, MD; d. 1831, MD; m. MD, 14 Oct 1792, Eva Margaret Willard; children: Sally, Jacob Jr., Elias, Susan, Peter.
f. Esther, m. George Bechtel, 18 Mar 1794, German Reformed Church, Frederick Co., MD.
g. Daniel, b. ca 1769 in VA or MD; d. aft 1850; m. Hannah (Unknown); one child.
h. Mary Magdalene, b. 8 Aug 1775, MD; m. 3 Dec 1793, Carroll Co., MD, Jacob Garber II; children: Michael Jacob III, Rebecca, Elizabeth, Samuel, Lydia, Christina, Nancy, Mary Madlana, Henry, Susanna.
i. Maria, b. in Maryland, m. Christian Schaub, 31 Aug 1803, Frederick Co., MD.
j. Salome, born in Maryland, m. Henry Schultz.
k. Peter, b. ca. 1780, MD; d. 8 Jan 1843, Washington County, Pennsylvania; m. Mary.
2. From the online "Eller Chronicles," website http://freepages.family.rootsweb.com/~adelr/aug88/aug88p4.htm:, compiler Clarice Vivian (Eller) Stanley (Mrs. John H.) , 605 Vine St. ., Martins Ferry, OH 43935: "My research pertains to the Henry and Elizabeth Bigler Eller family. I have done research in Frederick, Md., Frederick Co., and Hagerstown, Md., Washington Co. In Hagerstown I obtained a copy of the H/657 Deed which pertains to the settlement of the estate of Henry Eller, deceased, recorded 21 April 1794, naming his children:- Joseph Eller, Elizabeth Eller, Rebecca Eller, Henry Eller, Jacob Eler, Ester Eller, Daniel Eller, Sarah Eller, Magdalena Eller, Maria Eler, Salomo Eler, and Peter Eller. With further reference to Henry Eller, Sr., an estate settlement is also recorded in Frederick Co., Md. These records, however, are in the Hall of Records, Annapolis, Md.; not in Frederick, Md. I have not had the opportunity to pursue this. I copied the following from the index:
"Estate Settlement - Henry Eller 1788(Bond) Joseph Eller and Christ. Harter Bk. A2/321 Appraisal Personal PropertyA7 Sale of " "1/249 Accounts settlement (would have names involved)."
3. Per online "Eller Chronicles," http://freepages.family.rootsweb.com/~adelr/may88/may88p6.htm: " 'IMMIGRANT HENRY ELLER. SR. and ELIZABETH BIGLER,'Compiler: Gale Edwin Spitzer Honeyman, 470 Grove #2, San Francisco, CA 94102. (Eds. The following confirms and greatly extends the information first published by James W. Hook, 1957, on Henry Eller who arrived in Philadelphia 25 Oct 1746 aboard the Neptune.)
HENRY ELER and wife baptised 14 Apr 1754 by Elder Michael Franz, Conestoga Dunker Congregation, Lancaster Co., PA, Cocalico District. From: A HISTORY OF THE BRETHERN, by Martin Brumbaugh, 1899, P. 312.
Frederick Co., MD Deed Liber K, Folio 1284: Jacoby Catherine Flora to HENRY ELLER, 90 acres, part of Hammond Strife, 6 Jun 1767, witnesses Thomas & Elizabeth Wood. Located near Linwood between Uniontown and New Windsor in the Pipe Creek Dunker District.
Ibid, Liber B-0, Folio 3: HENRY & ELIZABETH ELLER sold same 14 Jun 1771.
Ibid, Liber P, Folio 128: HENRY bought 110 on Beaver Dam Branch of Little Pipe,Creek, 13 Jun 1772 in Beaver Dam Dist.
Ibid, Liber WR-6, Folio 4: HENRY AND ELIZABETH ELLER sold same 16 May 1785.
Washington Co., MD Deed Liber H-41, Folio 657: "Where as a certain HENRY ELLER of Washington County deceased the father of JOSEPH ELLER, ELIZABETH ELLER, REBECCA ELLER, HENRY ELLER, JACOB ELER (sic), ESTER (sic) ELLER, DANIEL ELLER, SARAH ELLER, MAGDALENA ELLER, MARIA ELER (sic), SALOMA ELER (sic), PETER ELER (sic), and at the same time of his death was seized in fee of two tracts of Land the one called Wallings Such the other tract called part of Adventure lying and being in Washington County and containing One Hundred and Ninty and One Half Acre of Land. Deed to Joseph Eller by Heirs Christian Elizabeth Herter, Christian and Rebecca Gerber, Henry & Fronica Eller, Jacob & Magadalena Gerber. 24 Dec 1793, all of Washington Co., MD.
lbid, have Reference to Deed Liber & Folios as follows regarding said tracts, but not content: H,657, 860; J, 396; M, 462. Peter Eller signed release 5 Apr 1800. Apparently remaining heirs signed deeds for which I have no record.
Abstracts from THE MARY BIGLER FAMILY: 1738 bought tract in Lancaster (York) Co., PA. 1743, 1750, 1761, 1781 bought adjoining tracts along Great Pipe Creek. As Marks Beigler of Pipe Creek Hundred wrote will 19 Mar 1787, " . . . To my daughter ELIZABETH wife of HENRY ELLER the sum of six pounds lawful money of the State of Maryland." Known as a Dunker of the Pipe Creek Congregation.
Children of HENRY ELLER, SR. and ELIZABETH BIGLER:
2. Elizabeth c1757-c1827 Lanier Twp, Preble Co., OH, m. c1774 Christian Herter c1754- c1825 s/o Johannes George & Eva
3. Rebecca m. Christian Gerber/Garber
4. Henry II ? - 1832 Randolph Twp., Montgomery Co., OH, m. Francis
5. Jacob c1764- Buried 8 May 1831 Burkittsville, MD, m. 14 Oct 1789
6. Esther (?) m. 18 Mar 1794 Frederick Co., MD to George Bechtel
7. Daniel m. Hannah
9. Mary Magdalena 8 Aug 1775- ?, m. 3 Dec 1793 to Jacob Garber, 14 May 1767- 19 Jan 1852, s/o Jacob
10. Maria (? Anna Mary 28 Jan 17--) - 8 Dec 1816, m. John Mikesell, 28 Mar 1752- 14 Aug 1827 Mongtgomery Co., OH, s/o Andrew & Catharina (Ahlentz)- (Anna Mary), (John's first wife whom he m. c1775 which places her too early of a birth if children were named in deed according to rotation of their birth)
11. Salome, thought to have m. Henry Schultz
12. Peter, thought to have m. Anna Ingle (Angle)
Editor's note. Mr. Honeyman goes on to say that upon request he can send data for children, Elizabeth Harter, Mary Magdalena Garber and the assumed Anna Mary Mikesell. He says, "I have fully abstracted all Eller data, except deeds, in the Miami CO.,OH courthouse. Leonard Eller of the George Michael line lived there for a short time and Hook did not hit 100% in his data regarding Leonard's family." Mr. Honeyman also listed the following citations: (1) A HARTER JOURNAL, 1982, by Byron H. Harter, 701 SE 6th St.,Ft. Lauderdale, FL 33301 (contains the family records of Christian & Elizabeth Eller Harter. Eldest daughter of emigrant Henry, pp. 23-105. Removed from MD to Preble Co., OH.) (2) THE GARBER HISTORICAL AND GENEALOGICAL RECORD, Vol. 1, No. 1, 1937, by (late) Clark M. Garber. (Contains the family record of Jacob, Mary Magdalene (Eller) Garber II, daughter of Emigrant Henry Eller. A Brethern minister, removed from MD to Washington Co., PA to Jefferson Twp., Richland Co., OH. Clark noted there were numerous Eller burials in the Ten Mile Church of the Brethern Cemetary in Washington Co., PA.) (3) THE MARK BIGLER FAMILY, 1960 by Norman Burns, is descendant of Mark (Marcus Beegler) Bigler, emigrant on RICHARD and ELIZABETH, 28 Sep 1733, Philadelphia, subsequently wed Catharine _____?, parents of Elizabeth, wife of emigrant Henry Eller. This marriage is mentioned but line of descent was unknown to author. (4) MEIYSSEL MEIXEL MIKESELL, 1985, by Aradella M. Rohde, gives family of John & Anna Mary (Eller) Mikesell."
4. FHL Book 929.273EL54h ?George Michael Eller and Descendants of His in America,? compiled by James W. Hook, 1957, also on FHL film 896571, item 2, pp. 6-14: "Henry Eller, brother apparently of George Michael, also owned 90 acres of land called a part of Hammond Strife that he purchased, 6 Jun 1767, from Jacob Flora. Thomas and Elizabeth Wood witnessed the deed. (Deed Book K, p. 1284, Fred. Co., MD.) Henry Eller and Elizabeth, his wife, sold this land, 14 June 1771, (Deed Book O, p. 3, Fred. Co., MD), and on 13 June 1772 bought 110 acres of land nearby on Beaver Dam Branch, a draught of Little Pipe Creek. (Deed Book P, p. 128, Fred. Co., MD) Henry Eller and his wife, Elizabeth, sold this 110 acre farm 16 May 1785. (Deed Book WR6, p. 4, Fred. Co., MD.) He died in 1788, (Admin. Acct. Washington Co., MD) leaving children, according to a deed, dated 4 Dec 1793 in Washington Co., MD, which show his children and in some cases their spouses to have been named (1) Joseph Eller, whose age in the 1800 census of Washington Co., MD was over 45 and whose family consisted of a wife, aged over 45, three daughters, aged between 16-26, two daughters, aged between 10 and 16 and three sons, aged under 10. (2) Elizabeth Eller, who m. Christian Herter (Hester); (3) Rebecca Eller, who m. Christian Gerber; (4) Henry Eller Jr. and his wife Fronica. He removed to Montgomery Co., Ohio where he died in 1832 leaving a wife Fronica and children Daniel, b. 28 Mar 1785; d. 7 Jun 1863; m. Elizabeth Siler, b. 4 Oct 1784; d. 16 Mar 1872 (gravestones), a daughter Mary, b. 29 Jan 1788; d. 14 Aug 1876 (gravestone) who married Jacob Albaugh, and probably Abraham and Joseph and other children; (5) Jacob Eller and his wife Margareth, doubtless the Jacob Eller who m. 14 Oct 1789, Mary Willjard; (6) Esther Eller who probably was the Esther Eller who m. 18 Mar 1794 George Bechtel; (7) Daniel Eller and his wife Hannah; (8) Sarah Eller; (9) Magdalene Eller who m. Jacob Gerber; (10) Maria Eller, probably the Maria Eller who m. Christian Schaub, 31 Aug 1803; (11) Salome Eller who m. Henry Schultz; (13) [should be no. 12] Peter Eller a minor not of age in 1795 but who signed an heirship release 5 April 1800 indicating that he had then reached his majority. (Washington Co., Md. Deeds, Book H, pp. 657 and 860; Book J, p. 396 and Book M, p. 462)"
5. From the book "Our Stoker Family Histories 1731-1881," Vol. II, comp. and ed. by Elyane Stoker, 2004, printed by Stevenson's Genealogy Center, Provo, UT in an article entitled "OUR GRABLE HISTORY." The portion below is a partial quote concerning the Peter Eller -- see John Peter Graybill's notes for the full transcription:
"Henry Eller, a probable brother of George Michael Eller, left property to the following children. Joseph Eller, m. Elizabeth Grabill; Henry Eller Jr. m. Francey Grabill; Jacob Eller m. Margareth; Ester Eller; Daniel Eller m. Hannah; Sarah Eller; Magdelina Eller m. Jacob Garber; Elizabeth m. Christian Herter; Rebecca m. Christian Garber of Samuel; Maria Eller; Salome Eller m. Henry Shultz; and Peter Eller. This Peter Eller came to West Bethlehem Township, Washington County, Pennsylvania early as did Joseph Grable, Jacob Garber, Catherine Garber Bigler, Jonathon Garber and Samuel Garber."
1810 US: East Bethlehem, Washington, Pennsylvania, p. 7 of 10 (next door are familes of Jacob Carver aged 26-44 who could be perhaps a relation of Joseph Grable's wife's as Joseph Grable):
Joseph Grable, males 2@10-15;1@26-44; females: 3 under 10; 1@10-15; 1@26-44.
Peter Eller, males 1 under 10; 1@26-44; females: 1@16-25.
7. FHL book 929.273 EL54ejg ?John Jacob Eller and His Descendants with Other Pre-1800 Eller Immigrants to America...,? by J. Gerald Eller, Edward K. Eller, and Janine Eller Porter (The Eller Family Association, 1998), pp. 22-27:
A Henry Ellars (Eller) came on the ship Neptune from Rotterdam and took the Oath of
Allegiance 25 Oct 1746. This is believed to be Henry Eller who bought land called Hammond Strife in Frederick County, Maryland on 6 June 1767. Hook thought Henry Eller was probably a brother of George Michael Eller since they lived in the same community. As already slated elsewhere, evidence indicates they were probably also brothers or close relatives of John Jacob, John Melchior and Christian Eller of Rowan County, North Carolina, but the degree of their kinship to the latter three has not been proven beyond some doubt.
Table VII below is based on genealogy by Clarice Eller Stanley of Martin's Ferry. Ohio and taken from the Eller Chronicles, Vol VII:2 Sp. Ed. May, 1994. This provides much new information on Henry Eller and descendants of his sons, but little new information on descendants of his daughters. For sources of new information on this line, see the listings from the Eller Chronicles in the bibliography at the end of this chapter For her major contribution to the family history and genealogy of this line. Clarice Eller Stanley was awarded the James W. Hook Memorial Award by the Eller Family Association at its 1995 biennial conference in Asheville, North Carolina.
Table VII: Henry Eller married Elizabeth Bigler. Frederick County, Maryland. Their children and grandchildren:
1 Joseph married Elizabeth Graybill.
2. Maria Elizabeth, b 1752, Frederick Co., MD; d ca. 1815, Preble Co., OH; m Christian Herter; children: Susanna, Henry, Phoebe, John, Rebecca, Mary, Joseph, Catherine.
3. Rebecca, b ca. 1760; ra. Christian Gerber
4. Henry Jr... b ca. 1762. MD; d ca. 1838. Montgomery Co.. OH; m Frances Graybill; children: Daniel. Mary, Christina. Unknown female. Henry HI. Abraham. Frances. Sarah.
5. Jacob Sr., b ca. 1764, MD; d 1831, MD; m. MD, 14 Oct 1792, Eva Margaret Willard; children: Sally, Jacob Jr., Elias, Susan, Peter.
6. Esther, m George Bechtel, 18 Mar. 1794, German Reformed Ch., Frederick Co., MD.
7. Daniel, b ca 1769 in VA or MD; d aft. 1850; m Hannah (Unknown); one child.
8. Mary Magdalene, b 8 Aug 1775, MD; m 3 Dec 1793, Carroll Co., MD, Jacob Garber II; children: Michael Jacob III, Rebecca, Elizabeth, Samuel, Lydia, Christina, Nancy, Mary Madlana, Henry, Susanna.
9. Maria, b in Maryland, m Christian Schaub, 31 Aug. 1803, Frederick Co., MD.
10. Salome, born in Maryland, m Henry Schultz.
11. Peter, b ca. 1780. Maryland; d 8 Jan 1843, Washington County, Pennsylvania; m. Mary.
Primary centers from which descendants spread: Frederick and Washington Co., MD; Montgomery and Preble Co., OH; Washington Co., PA; Calloway and Autrain Co., MO; Marshall Co., WV. (Stanley Clarice V. Eller, Eller Chronicles, VIII 2, Sp. Ed., May 1994)
"A Henry Eler (Eller) and wife were baptized at Conestoga Church, a Dunkard Church in Lancaster County, Pennsylvania by Elder Michael Franz on April 14, 1754. The will of Dunker Zachariah Albaugh (Frederick County, Maryland) also reveals the Dunker relationships of Henry Eller who was a witness to his will dated July 4, 1782. J. M. Henry describes Henry Eller as a Brethern (Dunkard)? This same Henry Eller later removed to Frederick County, Maryland and took up land 6 Jun 1767. In 1773, George Michael Eller took up land adjacent to that of Henry Eller.
Henry and George Michael Eller lived on Pipes Creek, Frederick County, Maryland until their deaths. George Michael in 1778, and Henry in 1788. Henry belonged to the Pipes Creek Dunkard Church which was located near his farm George Michael Eller may also have been a Dunkard. Although records show two of his daughters were married in Lutheran churches. There are no records that Henry or any of his children ever lived in North Carolina.
The fact that Henry Eller was a Dunkard, and so possibly was George Michael Eller,
undoubtedly influenced Hook (1957. p. 53) to think that Jacob Eller of Botetourt County, Virginia (Chapter 8) was probably a son of George Michael Eller, because this Jacob Eller and his descendants were Dunkards, and many of them remain so today.
1. Strassburger & Hinke. Vol. I (1992), p. 362.
2. Hook (1957). p. 1 (Deed Bk. K. p 1284, Frederick Co., MD.)
3. Ibid. p. I "On 6 June 1767 a Henry Eller bought land called Hammond Strife in Frederick Co., Maryland (Deed Book K. p. 1248. Frederick Co.. MD.).
4. Brumbaugh, M.G., pp 202-203.
5. Hook (1957), pp 6-8. George Michael Eller died in Frederick County, Maryland before 23 August 1778 when his will, written in the German language and translated and put on record by Thomas Schley, was proved in the Frederick Co., MD court.
6. Stanley, Clarice V. Eller, EC, VIII:2. Sp. Ed., (May 1994).
7. Hook (1957), p. 10.
New Information on Henry Eller and His Descendants from the Eller Chronicles (EC):
Barrup, Jay B., Henry Eller, Ann Mary Eller, and Some Mikesell Descendants, VI:2:123-129.
Christensen, Brian, Christina Eller and Henry Shoup. IV:4:181-187.
Eller, A. Wm., Discovery of a New Eller Book: Eller-Cochran Genealogy. IV:4:199-207.
Eller, Alfred D., Joshua Nubo Eller, Sp. Ed. IX:1. Feb. 1995.
Hepper, Thelma N., More on Immigrant. Henry Eller. IV:2:63-65.
Honeyman, Gale, E.S., Immigrant Henry Eller, Sr., and Elizabeth Bigler, II:2:63-65.
Genealogical Notes, IV:4:208-209.
Stanley, Clarice V., Immigrant Henry Eller and Elizabeth Bigler, II-3:112-122.
Henry & Elizabeth Bigler Eller Family History, VII:4:304-305.
Peter Eller, IV:4:187-198; V:1:34-40.
Henry Eller Descendants, IV:4:211-213.
Henry and Elizabeth Bigler Eller, VIII:2, Sp. Ed., May 1994.?
1. Online Ordinance Index member submittals show 5 Apr 1779 at Frederick, Frederick, Maryland.
2. Online Ordinance Index member submissions report variants of either Washington Co., Maryland or Frederick, Frederick, Maryland.
Father: Henry Eller b: BEF 1746 in , , Germany
Mother: Elizabeth Bigler