Name: Eleanor de GORGES , Heir of Wraxall & Knighton 1
Birth: ABT 1307 in Knighton, Isle of Wight, Hampshire, England
Death: ABT 1376 in Wraxall, Long Ashton, Somerset, England
Note: CP states that Ralph de Gorges held Knighton on the Isle of Wight. I have not found it (there is a Knighton near Newton Ferrers & Wembury in Devonshire).
His [Ralph 2nd Baron de Gorges'] coheirs were his three sisters.
(1) Elizabeth, wife of Sir Robert Ashton (sometime Justiciar and Chancellor of Ireland, Admiral, Lord Treasurer, etc.), received the Dorset manors of Bradpool and Litton, and dsps (a).
(2) Eleanor, who received the manors of Wraxall and Knighton was wife of Sir Theobald Russell, of Kingston Russell, by whom she had a son and heir, Ralph (father of Sir Maurice Rusell (b).
(3) Joan, 2nd wife of Sir William Cheyney, by whom she had a son Ralph, heir to the manor of Tothill in Lincoln, being aged 8 in 1346.
Among the representatives of Eleanor and Joan any hereditary barony which may be supposed to have been created by the writ of 1309 is in abeyance. [Complete Peerage VI:12-13]
(a) They had a son Robert, who dsp., his aunts being his coheirs. They also had a daughter Eleanor upon whom and whose husband John, son of Thomas de Berkeley, they settled the manor of Poorstock, the heirs to which at his death were his wife's nephew, Ralph Cheyney, and her grandnephew, Maurice Russell, the said Eleanor being dead.
(b) She [Eleanor de Gorges] had also a son, Theobald, who assumed the name of Gorges, and from him descend the Gorges of Wraxall, the Lords Gorges of Dundalk, Gorges of Kilbrew, co. Meath, etc. In connection with which the Editors desire to record their thanks to Mr. Raymond Gorges of Washington, USA, for his kindly interest in this article. Sir Theobald de Gorges was sheriff of Somerset and Dorset in 1361, and of Hants in 1375.
Father: Ralph 1st Baron de GORGES , of Wraxall, Sir b: BEF 1278 in Wraxall, Long Ashton, Somerset, England
Mother: Eleanore FERRE , Heiress of Tothill b: ABT 1280 in Tothill, Louth, Lincolnshire, England
Theobald RUSSEL , of Kingston, Sir b: 1285 in Kingston-Russell, Dorchester, Dorset, England
- Theobald GORGES , of Wraxall, KB, Sir b: ABT 1330 in Knighton, Isle of Wight, Hampshire, England
- Ralph (Radus) RUSSEL , of Kingston b: ABT 1333 in Kingston-Russell, Dorchester, Dorset, England
- Title: Complete Peerage of England Scotland Ireland Great Britain and the United Kingdom, by G. E Cokayne, Sutton Publishing Ltd, 2000