Name: Emly GOLDEN , Col. 1 2 3
Birth: 29 JUN 1811 in Cape May, NJ 4
Death: 1 JAN 1892 in Miller County, MO 4
Bullet UNION CIVIL WAR
Burial: Gott Cemetery, Miller County, MO
Emly was a colonel in the volunteer Union army in MO. Later he became a Captain in the regular Union Army and fought in MS and AL. Emly bought a slave from the Benjamin Hinds estate--even though he was Union. The Goldens in general went Union and the Ullman/Ulmons went Confederate. This led to a lot of trouble between Emly and his second wife, Sarah Jane Ullman. Emly was buried by his 1st wife.
Emly once had a horse thief hanged.
The U. S. 1880 census, Elk Fork, Pettis, MO shows Emley Golden, b. 1812 in NJ, age 68, farmer, head of household, father & mother both b. in NJ.
Emly Golden played a major role in the Civil War. Miller County records show he purchased a woman slave from the
Benjamin Hinds estate before the war. This was unusual since he was a Northerner. She may have been given her freedom by Emly. He joined the Union forces when a company was organized at Camp Union on Mill Creek near present-day Brumley in May, 1861. Emly was selected as Colonel in McClurg's Osage Regiment and his forces helped to secure the south side of the county. His troops were well equipped with pistols, rifles, shotguns and knives. Later they crossed the Osage River and joined Captain Jacob Capps' forces as they moved upon the courthouse at Tuscumbia.
By June 14, 1861, Colonel Golden and his Captains moved out of Camp Union with a cavalry of 400 men mounted on horses. His forces were the mightiest military power ever seen in Miller County.
Emly Golden was enrolled on the 22 day of August, 1862 in Company E of the 33rd Regiment of the Missouri Infantry
commanded by Colonel Clinton B. Fisk. He was honorably discharged at Rolla, Missouri on 14 October 1862 because of poor health.
Father: Andrew GOLDEN b: 8 APR 1782 in Hopewell, Mercer, NJ
Mother: Hannah SNOOK b: 1783 in Amwell Twp, Hunterdon, NJ
Mariah HAWLEY b: 21 MAR 1817
21 JUL 1832
in Ripley Co, IN
- Zalmon H. GOLDEN b: 1831 in Ripley County, IN
- Everett W. GOLDEN b: 1835 in Ripley County, IN
- Laura Ann GOLDEN b: 1838 in Ripley County, IN
- Eliza Ellen GOLDEN b: 1840 in Miller County, MO
- Nancy GOLDEN b: 1841 in Miller County, MO
- Mary M GOLDEN b: 1844 in Miller County, MO
Sarah Jane ULLMAN b: 9 FEB 1825 in Franklin County, VA
in Miller County, MO
- Elvira GOLDEN b: 14 SEP 1847 in Miller Co, MO
- William GOLDEN b: 1850 in Miller County, MO
- Thomas GOLDEN b: 1852 in Miller County, MO
- Josiah GOLDEN b: 1855 in Miller County, MO
- Frances GOLDEN b: 1860 in Miller County, MO
- Charles GOLDEN b: 1862 in Miller County, MO
- Ella Lou (Luella) GOLDEN b: 1867 in Miller County, MO
- Title: 1860 US Census, Miller County, MO
Page: 419, 81
- Title: Civil War Pension Index, filed in MO, Ancestry.com
Text: lists Sarah J Golden as widow
- Title: 1880 Federal Census
Page: Elk Fork, Pettis, MO (LDS files)
- Title: Gravestone in Gott Cemetery