Name: David DEVOOR
ALIA: David /Du Four/
Will: 14 SEP 1671 Proved May 1, 1699
"DAVID DU FOUR, senior, thus wrote his surname, but it soon exchanged F. for V., then took the form of Devoor. Some now write De Voe, which confounds it with the name of another and distinct family, herein noticed, descended from the brs. Nich. and Fred. de Vaux, or De Voe. Early at Harlem, as an original proprietor, the elder David left again on selling his allotment to Jacob Elderts, who directly resold it, June 1, 1662, to Jean le Roy. In 1668, Du Four passing in a canoe up the East River, and with him his child, Anthony; when, between Turtle Bay and Blackwell’s Island, John Copstaff, a drunken soldier, in another boat, let off a gun which wounded little Anthony; this was on Aug. 18, and he d. Aug. 31. Copstaff was convicted of manslaughter. Du Four being very ill, he and w. Jannetie made a will Sept. 14, 1671, naming the places whence they came in Hainault, probably for the reason that the survivor is to enjoy all the property both here and “in their fatherland.” But David recovered and lived long. In 1677, Gov. Andros granted, for him and his son John, 60 acres of land “on the Coale Kill,” Turtle Bay, and here David spent the rest of his life. His will was proved May 1, 1699. It names his chn. John. David, Peter, and Glaude. Peter not named again, and Glaude not after 1687." James Riker's "Harlem", 1881, NY, pgs. 460-461. See: http://cdl.library.cornell.edu/cgi-bin/moa/pageviewer?frames=1&cite=http%3 A%2F%2Fcdl.library.cornell.edu%2Fcgi-bin%2Fmoa%2Fmoa-cgi%3Fnotisid%3DANY63 88&coll=moa&root=%2Fmoa%2Fmono%2Frike0161%2F&tif=00477.TIF&view=75
David DeVoor (DuFour) original proprieter of Harlem. Riker.
The DuFour farm (1673) was along the East River from approx. present-day 51st St. to 57th St., stretching inward from the river to about 3rd Ave. Turtle Bay was a little farther south -- between today's 46th and 47th Streets (and on the East River). See: I.N.P. Stokes, The Iconography of Manhattan Island, 1498-1909, Vol. 6.
"The grant for the above land from Andros to David Duffore is dated Oct 9, 1677 (Stokes vol 6, p. 138). However, the grant to John Danielson for the farm immediately north of the DuFour place was dated March 15, 1676, and mentions that it is bounded on the southwest by that of David Du Four. So, it seems he was there before the date of the grant in 1677." H. Swain, Dutch Colonies Archives, Rootsweb, 12/26/2000.
"In their joint will, in the Dutch language, dated 14 Sep 1671, probated prob. May 1699, David Du Four, from Bergen, Henegau, and wife Jannetje Frans from Guevrerin, near Valencyn, living at Deudelbay, NY. The survivor, the sons David, Pieter, and Glaude, and a son Jan by the first wife Maria Boulyn. Real and personal property. The survivor to be executor. Witnesses Cosyn Gerrits, Jan Bastiaens, Johannes Kip, Elias Provoost, Pieter House. No evidence of proof, except an endorsement "Johannes Kipp, pmo. May 1699. [Jannetje predecessed him and the will was proven 1 May 1699.]
This (above) is from: Fernow, Berthold, Calendar of Wills on File and Recorded in the Offices of the Clerk of the Court of Appeals, of the County Clerk at Albany, and of the Secretary of State, 1626-1836, 1896 (will of David and Jannetje Frans Du Four)." Pat Wardell, Dutch Colonies Mailing List.
- Anthony DEVOOR
- Glaude DEVOOR
- David DEVOOR b: 1659
- Pieter Davidsen DEVOOR b: ABT. 15 OCT 1662
- Adriaen Davidsen DEVOOR b: ABT. 28 JAN 1664/65
- John DEVOOR b: in Turtle Bay, NY