Name: John Wilcox
Given Name: John
Birth: 1598 in Bury St. Edmunds, Suffolk, England
Death: 16 Oct 1651 in Hartford, Connecticut
Colonial Families of the United States of America by Mackenzie: ......John Wilcox came from E ngland prior to 1636 with his wife Mary, son John and other children; settled in Boston and l ater moved to Hartford, Conn. (with Dr. Thomas Hooker and company), of which town he was on e of the original Proprietors in 1636. He was Surveyor of Highways, 1642-1644; Selectman, 164 9
Change Date: 30 Jan 2005 at 16:46:26
from "Fifty Puritan ancestors 1628-1660, 1902:
THE surname Wilcox is of frequent and widely disseminated occurrence in the earliest Englis h records; apparently reaching back to much more remote periods. It was relatively a more fre quent as well as a more considerable name in England three or four centuries ago than it is a t present. For example, in the earliest continuous catalogue of Oxford University, extendin g from 1508 to 1523, this name in various forms of spelling is found no less than eight time s among those receiving degrees, while the present yearly catalogue with its greatly increase d list would average one or two. The same is true in respect to its earlier frequency in th e list of county families. The earliest recorded traces of the name are found in Cornwall an d Wales. In Downs Visitation of Wales (written in Welsh), the family of Wilkoks is named amon g the County families, and an English note to the text says of a certain William Wilkoks ment ioned that ?he was certainly deceased before 1305.? Another William Wilkoks is named as execu tor of the Vill of Sir John Golafree of date 1393. Of later date the name, in the more moder n spelling of Willcocks, is found in many old records in various parts of England, and occasi onally appears somewhat prominently, as in that of the Puritan author Thomas Wilcocks, some o f whose books reached many editions, and still later in that of Joseph Wilcocks, Bishop of Ro chester, who, while Dean of Westminster, ?restored the West Front? of that historical edifice . According to Lower, in his ?Origin of English Surnames,? the name Wilcox is derived from Wi lliam, while Camden places it among names derived from birds. Neither of these authorities st ates how the derivation is made. It is also sometimes assumed that it is of Saxon or possibl y of Celtic origin, but in any case is of very early date. It is equally certain that in th e earliest emigration to America the name was represented by families from different parts o f England in no wise connected with each other. Savage in his Genealogical Dictionary gives t he names of no less than six (6) different Wilcox emigrants nearly contemporary in date of em igration, between whom, so far as is known, there was no kinship or connection. There were al so Wilcoxes in the still earlier Virginia Colony?the name being localized, and perpetuated i n ?Wilcox Landing? on the James River. Hence it follows that there can be no common line of a ncestry in this name in American pedigrees. Among these early emigrants of the Wilcox name wa s John Wilicocks of the Hartford, Connecticut, Colony, who appears to have been one of the ?o riginal proprietors? (as they were called) of that settlement. His name and the exact locatio n of his house lot is found in the plot of the original plan of Hartford made as of date 1642 , by Wrn. Porter of Farmington, by surveys from the original records of the ?Distribution o f 1639.? This is the earliest trace so far found of this emigrant. There is nothing to show w here he came from or how he got to Hartford. From the fact of his being numbered among the ?o riginal proprietors? it is a natural inference that he was one of the company of Rev. Thos. H ooker, who removed from Newtown (Cambridge), Mass., in 1636. The certainty is that he was i n possession and occupancy of a house lot located in the ?bend of the little River? (now a po rtion of the Park), at date of the ?Distribution of 1639.?
The first John Wilicocks of Hartford was a man of good standing, as shown by the several resp onsible public offices he held, and was apparently prosperous, as appears by the rather remar kable list of property owned by him as shown by the Hartford Town Records, which list is her e inserted rather as a specimen f the quaint style of the earliest Hartford Records, than a s establishing a family claim to some of the more valuable portions of the present capital o f the State.
Distribution Records, 1639 to i668, being a ?true copy of the first record book of the Town o f Hartford.?2 Date, February, 1639.
?Severall parcells of land in Hertford upon the river of Connecticut belonging to John Wilico ck and to his heirs forever.
One parcell on which his dwelling house now standeth with the out houses, yards and gardens t herein being, contayning by estimation two acres (more or less) abutting on the little rive r on the West, and on Mr. AiIm?s land the North and on the highway leading from Joseph Maggot t to the Mill on the East, and on Ralph Keeler?s land on the South. (This 1ocaion is now i n the Park, midway between the State Capitol and the Soldiers .\rch. See Porters map of Hartf ord in
One parcell lying in the fourty acres of upland contayning by estimacon foure acres (more o r less) abutting on the highway leading from George Steele?s to the great Swamp on the East a nd on the highway leading from the towne to Rockie Hill on the South, and on Thomas Selden? s land on the West.
One parcell lying beyond Rock Hill containing by estimacon tence acres (more or less) abuttin g on the little river on the North and on the land now Common on the \Vest and on the East an d on the South.
One parcell of upland lying in the forty acres contayning by estimacon two acres more or les s wch he bought of Thomas Awlcott, abutting on land belonging to the savd John WiHcocke on th e South and on the hyway leading from George Stale?s to the Great Swamp on the East.
One psell of upland containing by estimation twenty acres be it more or less, which he receiv ed of Thomas Bull for land belonging to the sayd John Wiflcock lying in the swamp next to th e Great River wch psell of upland ahutteth on the Wethersfield bounds on the South, and on Gr egory Wilterfiness land on the North.
One Psell of upland wch he bought of Francis Andrews call by estima?three acres be it more o r less, abutting on Thomas Blisse?s land on the North and Iyeth near Rocke hill a psell of up land partt whereof he bought of Richard Wrislea and another psel, he bought of Vill? 1-lolto n and another prt he bought of Ralph Keeler and another pt he bought of Hinnery Wackle Cont , by estima, fourty and one acres be it more or less, abutting on John Halle?s land on the So uth and on Gocrg Hubbard?s land on the North and on the highway on the East and on the West.
One psell of land which he bought of Ralph Keeler containing by estirna, one acre be it mor e or less abutting on land belonging to sayd John Wilicock on the North and on Ralph Nigote? s land on ye West and on the hiwav to the old mile in the East.
One psell which he rece? of Mr. John Cullett for land lying on the East side of the Great Riv er contavn by estima five acres and two rood be it more or less, and lyeth in the swamp by th e 40 acres abutting on the Greatt river on the East and on Wethersfield bounds on the South a nd on Mr. Stone?s land on the North. Sarah Wilcox the sum of five and twenty pounds,? and th e rest of his estate mainly to his son John Wilcox, with certain conditions as to what he sho uld do for his mother.*
?An Inventory of the Estate of John Wilicock of Hartford deceased the 1st Oct. 1651? was pres ented to the Court the first Thursday of December following. Amount of Inventory £391.13, ran king among the larger estates of the original Hartford settlers, and yet showing the small va luation of Hartford real estate of that day.
?Will, Oct. 4, i666, of Mary Wilcock, widow, of Hartford.
To cousin Sarah Long,f two pewter platters, to daughter An Haul 40 shill and best feather pil lows. All other estate, after debt paid and ?charges about my comly buriall being discharged, ? to loving son John Bidwell, who is made sole executor, Dea. Butler and James Ensing intreat ed to be overseers.
Signed MARY WILCOX.
JAMES ENSIGN Adrn. granted Mch. 4, 1668-9.?
Original on file. Recorded in Probate Records, III, 6i.
Father: Christopher Wilcox b: 1565 in Bury St. Edmunds, Suffolk, England
Mary Farnsworth b: 1597 in St. Edmonds, Suffolk, England
- Ann Wilcox b: 1616 in Bury St. Edmunds, Suffolk, England
- Sarah Wilcox b: 1618 in England
- John Wilcox b: 13 Jan 1621/1622 in Bury St. Edmunds, Suffolk, England
- Stephen Wilcox b: 1630 in Bury St. Edmunds, Suffolk, England