Name: Meshack TURNER
Given Name: Meshack
Birth: ABT 1725 in , Caroline, Va
Death: 28 Jan 1794 in , Wilkes (now Taliaferro), GA, USA
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13
Change Date: 17 Nov 2013 at 22:00:31
FROM VIRGINIA TO GEORGIA:
Meshack was living in Halifax Co., VA in 1748 and in Pittsylvania Co., VA in 1784. He and his family moved to Wilkes Co., Georgia about 1785.
Baptist Church records list Meshack and first wife Rebekah as founding members of Phillips Mill Church according to The Georgia Baptist Association 1784 - 1984. Church minutes list Meshack as being both a Ruling Elder and Deacon of the church.
SHADRACK, MESHACK, AND ABEDNEGO TURNER:
It is now known that Shadrack, Meshack and Abednego Turner were actually brothers, and sons of John Turner, born in Caroline County, Virginia.
Principally, the connection to John, and to his father Richard, comes from the Turner DNA Group Study begun in 2002, as well as information taken from the Caroline County, Virginia, Order Book from 1744.
Based on the fact that John died before the 1742 probate of his father Richard's estate; the death of his wife around 1744 resulted in their children being assigned to a guardian. The 1744 Order Book lists Meshack, Abednego, Sarah, Elizabeth and Ann with guardianships. Shadrach would already have been 16 at the time, and legally no longer requiring a guardian.
ABSTRACTS FROM THE CAROLINE CO., VIRGINIA, ORDER BOOK, 1732-1740:
11 JAN 1744/5 - Meshach Turner being admitted to choose a guardian made choice of James Turner, who with Samuel Norment acknowledged their bond. Abednego Turner being admitted to choose a guardian made choice of Wm. Pemberton, who with Robt. Powell acknowledged their bond.
Elizabeth Turner [granddaughter of Richard, and daughter of John] being admitted to choose a guardian made choice of Jason Meadows, who with Lewis Turner [son of Richard] acknowledged their bond. [Notice that Micajah of 1728 also had sons named Lewis and John.]
Sarah Turner [daughter of John, granddaughter of Richard] being admitted to choose a guardian made choice of Jonas Meadows [aka Meadors, Meador*] who with Lewis Turner acknowledged their bond.
[This same Jonas Meador had business dealings with Meshack in 1785 in Wilkes Co., GA.]
NOTES FROM AN ONLINE FAMILY TREE:
According to Descendants of Richard Turner, (http://www.geocities.com/angbush/turner.html):
Children of MESHACK TURNER and REBECCA ROBINSON are:
20. iv. JOHN H.4 TURNER, b. about. 1762, Halifax County, Virginia; d. April 28, 1825, Columbia County, Georgia.
21. v. MESHACK S. TURNER, JR., b. about. 1765, Patrick County, Virginia; d. May 15, 1810, Wilkes County, Georgia.
22. vi. REBECCAH TURNER, b. about. 1766, Patrick County, Virginia; d. July 05, 1824, Wilkes County, Georgia.
vii. JAMES TURNER, b. Bef. 1772, Halifax County, Virginia; d. Cobb County, Georgia; m. (1) ELIZABETH MORRIS; m.
(2) JANE ANDERSON, November 27, 1784, Pittsylvania County, Virginia (Source: Pittsylvania, Virginia marriages.).
viii. SARAH TURNER, b. March 16, 1776, Patrick County, Virginia; m. WILLIAM BILLINGSLEY.
ix. SUSANNAH TURNER, b. about. 1778, Patrick County, Virginia; m. PHILLIP WILHITE.
x. POLLY TURNER, b. about. 1780, Patrick County, Virginia; m. OWEN HOLLOWAY, November 25, 1799, Wilkes County, Georgia.
MESHACK IN VIRGINIA AND GEORGIA:1744: Meshack is in Caroline Co., VA.
1753: Bought land on the Stanton River.
1762: Resided in Halifax Co., VA.
1784: Resided in Pittsylvania Co., VA.
1785: Sold his property and moved to Wilkes Co., GA, where he remained. (That portion of Wilkes Co. is now Taliaferro Co.)
WILL OF MESHACK TURNER:
TURNER, 1794 ,WILKES CO., GEORGIA
Will abstract in the book Early Records of Georgia:
TURNER, MESHACK, dec'd. David Ogletree, Jas. and John Turner,
appointed administrators Jan. 28, 1794.
Edward Gresham, Asa Adkins and Edward Jones, Sec. Returns
Receipts of John, Jas., Rebecca, Shadrack, Meshack and A.B. [Ab , i.e. Abednego]
Turner, all say the just sum of etc.
David Ogletree says in part of my legacy.
Receipts of Philip Wilhite and Wm. Billingslea in part of their legacies.
Receipt of Elizabeth Pruitt May 10, 1794 the just sum of L12 [12 POUNDS].
Receipts of ''Wm. Billingslea, Philip Wilhite, David
Ogletree and Meshack Turner 1798 in part of my legacy.
Paid Jas. Turner trustee for Mr. Foster, $28.00.
Polly Turner orphan of Meshack Turner, dec'd Jas. Turner. gdn.
Receipts of Owen Holliday Apr. 19, 1800 to James for her legacy in full, now Polly Holliday.
ANOTHER DOCUMENT ASSOCIATED WITH THIS WILL, FROM SAME BOOK:
TURNER, MESHACK dec'd.
Warrant of apprmt Feb. 1, 1808.
Bird Pruett, John Turner and David Ogletree, admrs.
SLAVES GEORGE, RACHEL, WILL, PIETY, MOESE, horses, household goods, etc.,
Returns 1814 paid tax 1807, 1810, 1812. No legatees mentioned.
NOTES FROM THE GOLDEN FAMILY'S RESEARCH:
There is a book called DEEP EAST TEXAS FOLK: The Tillers, Crenshaws, Woodleys, Goldens and other Related Families of Panola and Harrison Counties by Terry G. Jordan and Mary Lynn Tiller Wier (1976). That book explains connections to a lot of GOLDENS. By 1748, a ... trio of brothers named SHADRACK, MESHACK, and ABEDNEGO TURNER lived in Halifax County, Virginia ... near the North Carolina border. [Earlier they were in Caroline County, VA.] Our ancestor among these three was MESHACK TURNER, b. ca 1725. It is said that MESHACK and his brothers came to Virginia with their father or brother, JOHN TURNER, in the 1740's from Lands End, Cornwall, England. [NOTE: Much evidence, such as descendents' birth dates and places, states they may have come to VA by the 1690's.] About 1750, a son named SHADRACK (II) was born to MESHACK and his first wife whose name is not known ... MESHACK TURNER continued to reside in Halifax County and married a second time to REBECCA ROBERTSON in the following year. MESHACK TURNER aided in the American Revolution by providing wheat and beef to the army. MESHACK's son, SHADRACK (II) married MARGARET HILL, daughter of JAMES HILL about 1770. By 1784, both MESHACK TURNER and his son SHADRACK migrated to Wilkes County, Georgia, a move parelling that made by the GOLDENS.Page 147 lists the children of SHADRACK TURNER (II) and MARGARET HILL:
1. MARY Polly TURNER m/ William M. Golden
2. RICHARD TURNER m/ Mary Henderson
3. NANCY TURNER m/ E.G. Crawford
4. SHADRACK TURNER m/1 Unity Gillam, m/2 Mary Taylor.
5. LEWIS TURNER
6. MESHACK TURNER m/1 Fannie Tatum, m/2 Polly Tatum
7. WILLIAM TURNER m/ L.B. Merriwether
8. ABEDNEGO TURNER m/ Sally Tatum
9. J. FRANCIS TURNER m/ S.F. Turner
10. JAMES B. TURNER m/ Nancy Downing
11. ELIZABETH TURNER m/ Samuel S. Wideman
12. SUSAN TURNER m/ Parish Martin
William M. Golden who married Polly Turner, is that his father was a William and grandfather was John, b. 1725/VA, d. 1801/Lincoln Co., GA. In a 1801 deed this John said that Nancy Golding was his granddaughter who just married Mark Golden. John left her 1/3 of his property. Mark is listed as marrying Nancy Parks in their family bible, so she may have been a Parks widow.
1777 OATH OF ALLEGIANCE, PITTSYLVANIA CO., VA:
Meshack and son Shadrick [sic] signed the 1777 Oath Of Allegiance in Pittsylvania Co., VA.
They were enumerated amongst Lankford's List:
John Barrett, Jr.
John Bay, Jr.
Charles Farris, Jr.
James Farris, Jr.
Joseph Farris, Jr.
Joseph Farris, Sen.
Thomas Farris, Sen.
James Harris, Sen.
James Henderson, Sen.
SHADRICK [sic] TURNER
Thos. Vaughan, Jr.
Thos. Vaughan, Sr.
(Thanks to Ms. Kate Young for supplying the Oath of Allegiance info).
Father: John TURNER b: ABT 1690 in Cornwall, England, or Virginia
Mother: Elizabeth BRASHEARS b: 26 Jul 1699 in , Prince George, Md
Margaret LEWIS b: ABT 1730 in Virginia
in , VA, USA
- Elizabeth TURNER b: ABT 1753 in Patrick Co., Va
- Possibly Abednigo "Ab" TURNER II b: 1754 in , Patrick, VA, USA
Rebecca ROBERTSON b: ABT 1725/1730 in Va
6 Feb 1760
in Halifax Co., Va
- Shadrack TURNER b: ABT 1761 in possibly Caroline, or Patrick, Virginia
- James TURNER b: AFT 1762 in Halifax Co., Va
- Title: "Descendants of Richard Turner," (http://www.geocities.com/angbush/turner.html)
- Title: "Turner Family Genealogy," Ms. Eunice Kirkland, VA
- Title: Caroline Co., VA, Court Order Book, 1732-1752.
- Title: Caroline Co., VA, Land Records, 1744-1753
- Title: Halifax Co., VA, Land Records, 1762
- Title: Pittsylvania Co., VA, Land Records, 1782
- Title: Wilkes Co., GA, Land Records
- Title: Research records of Ms. LaDonna Elam McKelvey; legal and family records
- Title: Will of Meshack Turner, Wilkes Co., GA, 1794; proven 1797
- Title: Deep East Texas Folk
Author: Jordan, Terry G. and Wier, Mary L. Tiller, 1976; (publisher unk.)
- Title: GA Baptist Assn, Records of 1784 - 1984
- Title: Oath of Allegiance , 1777, Pittsylvania Co., VA
- Title: Turner DNA Group Study begun in 2002